over weighting death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
person was bumped or pushed overboard by crew.

I have often seen how something like this could easily happen to me.....you get tangled in your gear, an elbow caught in a vest, etc. Sometimes I am taking stuff off and standing at the rear when the captain hits the throttle.

It sounds like a silly thing, but I have started doing things a bit more consciously. getting away from where I could fall and getting free of my weights quickly. I keep my bungeed till almost last.

catherine96821:
I have often seen how something like this could easily happen to me.....you get tangled in your gear, an elbow caught in a vest, etc. Sometimes I am taking stuff off and standing at the rear when the captain hits the throttle.

It sounds like a silly thing, but I have started doing things a bit more consciously. getting away from where I could fall and getting free of my weights quickly. I keep my bungeed till almost last.

...I'd only add that all divers ( especially the experienced ) should keep an eye out for others ( often the less experienced ), who may not realize they are in a precarious position.

DSD

Simeon:
What comes to this lady, if she was first time in steel tank and had wetsuit... It's possible it was very freaky experience especially if she was of small stature. Steel tank could have, for example, tended to pull her on her back which is very disconcerting for a lot of people. It could have started/worsened when they dropped some of her weight, presumably from he waist??

That is part of MY personal theory on it after hearing of the situation first hand. And yes she was on the very petite side.

All I could think as the friend was telling me his accounting of the story was what I'd have been telling myself, had I started to go into panic mode, and that was, "stop, get yourself under control..." Which in my mind is essentially, stop, breathe, act. Over and over I kept saying that in my head as he continued on, sharing his nightmare.

Personally, I have had a couple of times where I have gotten a little excited and thought to myself, "now hold on Tracy - think things through - relax". This is yet another story that reinforces to me the stop, think, act mantra. Something seen by many as a simple problem, being over-weighted, can spin out of control if you can't pull yourself together.

Now this is pure speculation on my part; I know she was wearing a 2 mil and am guessing she is probably used to something much thicker. Now throw a steel tank in there when one is used to an AL80. Perhaps she wore her "regular" weight and forgot to adjust it... I dunno but the over-weighting issue seems to have lead to the domino effect/panic situation. Reminding me, it is so important to have logged what you wore on your last dive like this. A weight check is nothing to shake a stick at, if you will.

Missdirected:
Some facts;

She was using a steel tank for the first time that was given to her by the shop
The dive was so shallow that it didn't not register on their computers
She was over-weighted as she told her friend while they were still on the tag line

I have never heard of a rental steel tank in the keys, unless it is by special request.

According to the story, they never descended, this happened on the line. I regularly dive this site. My first dive, OW and AOW all had dives in this location. These dives to 20-25 ft will register on your computer.

On the line? Pull your self back to the boat.

As to comments about the current, that is a relative perception. I have not read that the current had an impact in this incident.

As has been confirmed in other comments, Molassas is quite crowded with dive boats. The divers left behind had plenty of choices to return to shore.

Low Pressure steels are the norm at Ocean Divers, for air and nitrox. I dove with them 2 weeks ago, 5 trips in 3 days. Found them always to be professional and safety minded. Even before leaving the dock they tell everyone several times that the tanks they are using on the boat are steel and they should take off 4 to 5 pounds then they would dive with using an aluminum. They give a complete safety briefing and always do a dive site briefing on arrival at each dive site. They always have a mate and usually the captain at the rear of the boat assisting with entries. Having been on both Ocean Diver boats, there is no way to get knocked off the boat unless your on the swim platform at the rear. If your there you should be prepared to enter the water in case a wave hits the boat. This means mask on, regulator in mouth, all gear checks complete and your ready to enter before you step on the platform. I have always seen the mate/captain give a final check to your tank valve to insure it's on.

I've dove with Ocean Divers many times and will continue to dive with them. They run a professional and well run operation.

Everyone should take a Stress & Rescue course so they can get training and practice in responding to a diver in distress. You should know how to ditch not only your own weights, but your buddies and how to inflate their BCD also, especially if it has an integrated Alternate air source so you push the right button. As stated above, knowing how to approach a diver in complete panic can be the key in saving their life and yours.

maj75:
I have never heard of a rental steel tank in the keys, unless it is by special request.

According to the story, they never descended, this happened on the line. I regularly dive this site. My first dive, OW and AOW all had dives in this location. These dives to 20-25 ft will register on your computer.

On the line? Pull your self back to the boat.

As to comments about the current, that is a relative perception. I have not read that the current had an impact in this incident.

As has been confirmed in other comments, Molassas is quite crowded with dive boats. The divers left behind had plenty of choices to return to shore.

So shallow, just a couple of feet, that it didn't even register on their computers. Per her friend, She was diving a steel for the first time and it was rented from the shop. now if she asked for it, I dunno. Additionally, they may have been out of tanks for all I know; hence, giving her a steel. No matter where she got it - it was her responsibility to properly make adjustments for it.

I am often dumbs struck by the self absorbed respsonses so many of us (meaning me too) offer in the aftermath of such tragedy. We have lost one of our buddies and even worst yet, it appears that this dive buddy died IN FRONT OF HER KIDS. I am totally amazed, if not disgusted, at how some of us can home in on dumb "S" and not take notice of the tragedy and trauma for these poor kids (and our lost buddy). This is not directed at those of us who are offering "self directed critique" for everyone to learn from....it is directed at ....we you know who you are.... GET OVER YOURSELVES

P.S.
I know some one else pointed it out but....Ocean Divers uses Steel Rentals almost exclusively! So the "I've never heard of steel rentals" comment really leaves me asking "so what" you've never heard of it?

I hate went you blame OUT of STATE divers for coming to FL. and not being qualified divers, I'm from Ohio and dive with a group of divers also from Ohio who have dived all around the world. And I'm sure many of them have more oceans dives under their wetsuits than some of the you locals in the Keys. In fact I'm sure of it because the last time down in March my dive buddy and I had to help a LOCAL out of the water after she panicked. Don't blame the OUT of STATE divers blame it on poor training.

bobcatdiver:
I hate went you blame OUT of STATE divers for coming to FL. and not being qualified divers, I'm from Ohio and dive with a group of divers also from Ohio who have dived all around the world. And I'm sure many of them have more oceans dives under their wetsuits than some of the you locals in the Keys. In fact I'm sure of it because the last time down in March my dive buddy and I had to help a LOCAL out of the water after she panicked. Don't blame the OUT of STATE divers blame it on poor training.

I agree with you, but your enviroment from a comfort zone does come into play. I was raised in Fort Lauderdale Fla. went to Hawaii in the military and then to Texas. I dove all over those three states. Then I come to Ohio and what a differance. Before moving to Ohio, I had never wore more than 6-7 pounds of lead, never experianced 45 degree water in summer time and never even tried a hood on my head.

25-49 dives is not exactly what anyone would call "diving around the world".
That aside you are correct. It is not where you come from. It's the experience, honesty and attitude that makes a difference.
We have divers daily who are courteous, knowledgeable and honest that dive to new depths, experience new things and are an abspolute pleasure to have on the boat. We also have locals who personally I would rather stay home. Certified but unqualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom