over weighting death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
robway034:
We have lost one of our buddies and even worst yet, it appears that this dive buddy died IN FRONT OF HER KIDS.

This not the first horrific tragedy these children have endured either, though the last one did not claim a life. I started a condolences thread, if you should like to visit it.

Just a short timeout to tell everyone that I posted Lori Gallagher's obituary on the
"Passings" section of ScubaBoard. I also posted a link to her obituary as it appeared in the Wilkes-Barre Times Leader.

Ed

Don't be quick to blame the crew. I work on commercial dive boats and I have never seen such an act by a crew member. But everyday I do see plenty of divers who lack experience, self confidence in their ability to dive, and the lack of self rescue procedure - and many who are woefully out of shape. This is not golf! There are inherent risks in diving and divers should respect that.

Some people stay cooler than others in stressful situations regardless of training. Obviously extra training is always a good thing but it needs to be coupled with experience.

The lady that sadly lost her life in Key Largo was diving with two young children, which for a parent can cause a lot of stress in itself. Anyone that hasn't dived with their children can't really comment on the extra stress that creates. Obviously this was an avoidable tragedy but I can't remember reading about too many diving fatalities that weren't avoidable.

After my son got his OW card at 12-years-old I made him improve his skills on a daily basis in our pool. We didn't just stick to the normal OW core skills, and we added artificial stress to some of the exercises. My son is proficient at removing all his gear in the deep end turning the air off and surfacing, and then he goes back down and kits up again. He knows what it feels like when your air runs out because I have turned his tank off while diving in the pool. We have had equipment failures while diving and my son always remains totally calm. Although he is only thirteen now I feel very comfortable in his abilities to remain calm and if need be save me.

Personally I think this lady apirated water into her lungs which triggered bronchospasms and or laryngospasm. Unable to transpire air she went into the typical behavior of people who can't get air when they are in the water--they will climb out of it one way or another.

IMO, it is very doubtful that any amount of prior training would have helped this woman. One of the most terrifying experiences that humans go through is the inability to "breathe". Asthmatics and those with advanced lung disesases know the feeling well and many can cope with such "attacks" by avoiding or controlling the ensuing panic. The normal healthy person just doesn't train themselves for this type of thing.

jbd:
Personally I think this lady apirated water into her lungs which triggered bronchospasms and or laryngospasm. Unable to transpire air she went into the typical behavior of people who can't get air when they are in the water--they will climb out of it one way or another.

IMO, it is very doubtful that any amount of prior training would have helped this woman. One of the most terrifying experiences that humans go through is the inability to "breathe". Asthmatics and those with advanced lung disesases know the feeling well and many can cope with such "attacks" by avoiding or controlling the ensuing panic. The normal healthy person just doesn't train themselves for this type of thing.
Definetly sounds reasonable.. And if you have in the back of your head that your kids are watching this whole tragic ordeal, I guess that would be an amplifying factor.
I dont have kids myself, but having a close relationship with my siblings kids, I can begin to imagine (emphasis on begin).

My issues with this whole thing is the kids. If the current was strong, what mother, DM or boat captain would let a 10 and a 13 year old dive.

Without knowing this woman's certification, this also goes along with my dislike for the way we allow parents with any training level, or expeience dive with their children who have Jr Certs.

scubapolly:
My issues with this whole thing is the kids. If the current was strong, what mother, DM or boat captain would let a 10 and a 13 year old dive.

Yeah the simple fact that they allowed children to dive with their parents on a 25-ft deep dive shows that all parties involved were negligent.:shakehead

dumpsterDiver:
Yeah the simple fact that they allowed children to dive with their parents on a 25-ft deep dive shows that all parties involved were negligent.:shakehead

But it wasn't that simple.

Just some insight. We were out on Molasses that day later in the afternoon. I'm not sure what time this accident took place, but we were supposed to leave the dock @2pm. Due to some viscious thunderstorms and seriously heavy rains, we waited at the dock until @3-3:30.

The ride out was rough, with cells of thunderstorms all around. I've got my first dive logged there starting at 4:30pm. We all rolled in negative and dropped straight down due to surface conditions. Upon descending this was obviously some of the worst current I've been in. We were more or less diving behind the reef for protection from the current.

If my kids were in or even on the water that day my stress level would have been through the roof!

johnnyseko:
But it wasn't that simple.

If my kids were in or even on the water that day my stress level would have been through the roof!

That is the factor than anyone without children will never understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom