over weighting death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite honestly, not even the FIRST post in this thread makes ANY sense to me..
I think there is a lot of things that is not brought to the light here and if that is so, we can speculate untill pigs fly without getting anywhere near whats happened...

deepstops:
She stated "they were tech divers". That implies more than one was a tech diver, which I take to be the Dr. and his wife. The kids couldn't be tech divers, they're too young. http://www.spearboard.com/showpost.php?p=548630&postcount=26

There's something not right with this story if these people were even AOW.

Very possible both the doctor and his wife were tech divers, but that has been misunderstood by some that the diver that died was a tech diver. I have seen no information in the local papers, from other local sources, or from being on the boat that picked up the 3 divers that lead me to believe the diver that died was a tech diver. I may be completely wrong, but that is how I see it at this point.

Even if not a tech diver (let's assume I took that statement out of context and she wasn't a tech diver), speargirl still states "they dove all the time". Someone who dives all the time knows how much weight to wear.

What's missing here?

As far as speculation, that's all there can be because there's never going to be any kind of report that details the facts and is made public. Been there, done that with my best friend on June 27th, 2004 :(

Just for the sake of context. Think about this.

People see divers in BP/W's and call that "tech gear" -

I don't know if this IS in fact the case...

Just food for thought.

The accident, as reported, sounds like more than a simple panic at the surface or over-weighting. I have seen people panic upon entering the water from a boat literally dozens of times. A competant crew member is somewhat EXPECTING this to occur, especially on a tourist 25-ft dive. I seems very unusual that a crew member couldn't get to her and bring her to the boat before she drowned, especially if the victim and buddy were yelling for help immediately upon entry.

I suspect that some type of medical complication will be discovered if the incident is even remotely similar to what was described.

Let's wait and see what happens when all the information is available for all to read. I still feel poorly for two children with their mom, the diver who perished.

If the article is correct at the beginning of this post there is no way she was a tech diver. One- she would not have been overweighted. Two- in a BPW in florida a this time of year I can't imagine anyone in a BPW needing more than a couple pounds even with an al80 unless they are naturally over buoyant to begin with. Sounds more to me like a typical underwater tourist (not a diver) who has little experience in saltwater and freaked out. Dives all the time? Where and with who? I've had people come in the shop who "dive all the time". Right! Certed since 95 and have almost 50 dives in. I think not. This hits too close to home. I dropped out of a class that I was assisting last year because I believed the mom was only doing it for her hubby and kids. She really had no business in the water for the same reasons- easily paniced over the smallest thing. I told the instructor he should refund her money and tell her it would be better for all concerned if she watched from the boat or shore. He disagreed saying she just needed more attention. She is still not certed through us. AT first I thought when I saw that she was from PA my heart sank. I could see this woman being the victim.

Oh dear, this is why I do weight belt check every month or every time I feel very heavy. I've been working out in the gym packing up some muscles that lately I'm using only 14 lbs of lead. I'm 5'6 and at 160ish with muscles.

What are some of the lessons here?
1. Diving is associated with a degree of risk, which may include death.
2. Performing a pre-dive safety check (BWRAF) is a pretty good idea.
3. Eyewitness reports may be conflicting and contradictory.
4. All of us take facts and information, and filter it through our individual experiences and biases, and draw (possibly quite divergent) conclusions.

Beyond that, I am not sure what else I will learn. Having been on Molasses many times, with OD, I suspect I have biases that do not contribute to objective understanding. I also follow reports of general aviation accidents with some degree of particular interest. They are similar to reports of diving accidents. The newspaper accounts, and statements from supposed witnesses, frequently leave me thinking, 'Something is wrong here. The facts as presented don't add up.' But, that may be because I interpret them in the context of what I have done, and what I think I would do in the reported situation, and that view may cloud my understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom