over weighting death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This unfortunate death seems to be a "panic" drowning rather than a "real" overweighting problem. It seems to have happened on the surface not 25 feet down. However, real or imagined it doesn't matter if panic is the result.

As a newly certified diver my goal is to try to approach a balance between being "comfortable" underwater, but not too comfortable.

-Mark-

konasdad:
This unfortunate death seems to be a "panic" drowning rather than a "real" overweighting problem. It seems to have happened on the surface not 25 feet down. However, real or imagined it doesn't matter if panic is the result.

As a newly certified diver my goal is to try to approach a balance between being "comfortable" underwater, but not too comfortable.

-Mark-

I read on another forum(spearboard) that the diver was a tech diver

I read the postings on spearboard, also, and if one poster there is to be believed, it would seem there's alot that nobody's telling. Better to just shut up, and wait, then continue speculating.

It's always sad when a diver dies, even more so that the kids were there when it happened, and will probably be affected by this the rest of their lives. Condolences.

Tech Diver that dives all the time, entering the water overweighted, (as reported on spearboard) panicing on the surface,

something just doesn't add up.

Who knows the exact happening. We are only responding to what we have read. We have not heard everything and only those at the site and investigating the incident know the diver level and above water drowning or 25 ft. It still is sad when a diver loses a life.

Ed Jewell:
Tech Diver that dives all the time, entering the water overweighted, (as reported on spearboard) panicing on the surface,

something just doesn't add up.

I agree. The spearboard "poster" has a stated dislike for Ocean Divers.

"Tech" just like the "tech" guys from NJ who died on the Speigle Grove. She had "weights in her BC and was given a weight belt"? That doesn't sound like any "tech" diver I know. Again, "they dove all the time"? Paniced so bad she tried to kill her husband/boyfriend/doctor.

The only thing that does not add up is Keyone's postings at spearboard.

Keyone is also complaining about the alleged "fact" that OD left three divers to be picked-up by another boat, while they returned to shore with the victim. IMHO this is NOT a big deal. As anyone who has been to Molassas would agree, the dive boats on mooring balls are quite close together, some less than 50 yards apart. These divers were allegedly behind the boat, but were told to swim to another boat, close by, so OD could return with the victim. They were not abandoned, alone and at sea. Under the circumstances, getting the victim to shore would have been the priority.

I have never had an opportunity to dive with Ocxean Divers but I do regularily dive an operator on the same canal. I have observed their operations ther and at various dive sites in Key Largo.

maj75:
I agree. The spearboard "poster" has a stated dislike for Ocean Divers.

"Tech" just like the "tech" guys from NJ who died on the Speigle Grove. She had "weights in her BC and was given a weight belt"? That doesn't sound like any "tech" diver I know. Again, "they dove all the time"? Paniced so bad she tried to kill her husband/boyfriend/doctor.

The only thing that does not add up is Keyone's postings at spearboard.

Keyone is also complaining about the alleged "fact" that OD left three divers to be picked-up by another boat, while they returned to shore with the victim. IMHO this is NOT a big deal. As anyone who has been to Molassas would agree, the dive boats on mooring balls are quite close together, some less than 50 yards apart. These divers were allegedly behind the boat, but were told to swim to another boat, close by, so OD could return with the victim. They were not abandoned, alone and at sea. Under the circumstances, getting the victim to shore would have been the priority.

I have never had an opportunity to dive with Ocxean Divers but I do regularily dive an operator on the same canal. I have observed their operations ther and at various dive sites in Key Largo.

You might want to read my post on spearboard a little closer....They were not sent to another boat. Although I did not speak directly with the 3 divers when they were aboard the boat I was on the fact that they were screaming and waving their arms over their heads at the boat as it was leaving would lead me to believe they were not aware of alternate boat pick up by the same dive op or another boat.

deepstops:
The member who posted those comments on Spearboard is a member here under the screen name of "speargirl".

There's either a lot more to the story or this lady wasn't a "tech diver".

I believe Speargirl was refering to the doctor, who was a tech diver diving with his wife as customers, that was the person providing emergency medical care to the injured diver. This is just my opinion from reading her post.

IslandG8R:
I believe Speargirl was refering to the doctor, who was a tech diver diving with his wife as customers, that was the person providing emergency medical care to the injured diver. This is just my opinion from reading her post.

She stated "they were tech divers". That implies more than one was a tech diver, which I take to be the Dr. and his wife. The kids couldn't be tech divers, they're too young. http://www.spearboard.com/showpost.php?p=548630&postcount=26

There's something not right with this story if these people were even AOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom