Our Next "Norte" - and it's a strong one!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-20 C now dropping to -30 C tonight if they predicted it correctly and it's windy so the chill temps are considerably worse. Unfortunately I have to blow snow tomorrow from the roadway to my storage shed which is about a 400 foot walk. I need to make a path wide enough to move a car from the driveway before departing for Coz on Wed. Looking forward to a little heat, and of course some bottom time.

Next Wednesday is Triple-Star, with some big winds on the Guru. Sounds a little ugly. But if I read it correctly the wind will come across the island somewhat, so maybe not as a big a deal esp down south? Oh, Dave? How is my wind reading?
I would expect what went through here this morning to reach Cozumel by the weekend at the latest unless it stalls out.

I would expect what went through here this morning to reach Cozumel by the weekend at the latest unless it stalls out.
I think that one will be there by noon tomorrow. I wonder where they are getting their 6 day norte forecast? I guess they have reasons.

Not looking too bad for us really! I hope this doesn't change for the worse! It's cool and thick cloud cover here today and this is what Windguru is giving us for the next 7 days. If it stays like this, may not even be strong enough to close the port - that's in God's hands - it will be what it will be :)

today.jpg

It blew into Austin pretty hard Friday morning and it sleeted and snowed a bit last night, but it doesn't seem to have much behind it. It's cleared off now and the it's not even supposed to freeze tonight. It's forecast to be back in the low 70's by Sunday. The last Arctic Blast hung around here for nearly a week; this one doesn't appear to be nearly as bad.

Ok, I see the next cold front coming now - the one the sites expected to hit here Monday and Coz Wednesday...

...with auto updates...

2xus_sf.gif

What I see shows that front coming in late Wednesday, but predicted wind speeds are very low.

I'm going to be cruising into Cozumel next Monday (2/10) and have a charter booked with Aldora. The long range forecast at this point (from Weatherunderground) doesn't look good though, calling for cloudy/50% chance of rain which isn't a big deal, however it's also calling for winds from NNE 10-20mph which is more important. (I realize things can change, especially this far out, but I'm still getting nervous.) What is the usual threshold of wind speed and direction for a norte to either close the port completely or at least restrict it to bigger boats? Also, if it's a NNE wind direction and is pretty bumpy near town, does it tend to be a bit calmer further towards the southwest side due to the curvature of the island & if so would that matter in letting boats go out?

Thanks for any insight y'all can provide.

The next one got here to Austin last night. It's blowing pretty strong right now and the temperature is steadily falling. You guys will probably see it on Tuesday or so. We are supposed to get another one in a couple of days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom