Our local reefs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonix:
why bad? what happened?
It really depends on the situation. As many researchers are for coral transplanting as there are against.

I'm guessing:
* corals were cropped from other ecosystems (and more than 15% of mother coral taken) without considerations of the effects.
* corals were taken without permission or prior knowledge of the effects on new ecosystem.
* corals did not survive after transplanting due to lack of prior environmental survey data of selected site.
* corals were taken from MPA

But if the transplanted corals are thriving and the mother donor (plus it's ecosystem) has recovered, then the way I see it: no harm no foul. (oh and if it was taken from an MPA - that's pushing it!) :)

MPA = marine protected area.

That's cool you used to work there...it's on my list of places to go!

We did the diving survey there before it was bought from the Aguinaldo's. After it was bought, we did the cleaning up the whole frontage of trash and junk. You would be surprised what things we found. Things like telephones, airdonditioners, all the oyster cages and of course we discovered that there 2 wrecks in the front. That was in 1980?

About 1.5 yrs ago, just on one occasion, we collected broken (from anchor doppings) hard coral fragments from around the Puro Island Sanctuary.....

While underwater we visually inspected the fragments for "viability" ...... and discarded those that "appeared dead".

We had them immobilised with nylon monofilament on a concrete base with drilled holes.... about 40 percent made it.

chip104:
It really depends on the situation. As many researchers are for coral transplanting as there are against.

I'm guessing:
* corals were cropped from other ecosystems (and more than 15% of mother coral taken) without considerations of the effects.
* corals were taken without permission or prior knowledge of the effects on new ecosystem.
* corals did not survive after transplanting due to lack of prior environmental survey data of selected site.
* corals were taken from MPA

But if the transplanted corals are thriving and the mother donor (plus it's ecosystem) has recovered, then the way I see it: no harm no foul. (oh and if it was taken from an MPA - that's pushing it!) :)

eric_p:
About 1.5 yrs ago, just on one occasion, we collected broken (from anchor doppings) hard coral fragments from around the Puro Island Sanctuary.....

While underwater we visually inspected the fragments for "viability" ...... and discarded those that "appeared dead".

We had them immobilised with nylon monofilament on a concrete base with drilled holes.... about 40 percent made it.
hey, that's alright for your first attempt. I've heard horror stories of grad students and reserachers here and abroad of having their entire transplant community die!

I'll try look for some papers on transplantation techniques when I'm at the institute today.

chip104:
I'll try look for some papers on transplantation techniques when I'm at the institute today.

we got loads of that techniques with my buddies at ASAP club with Dr. BEn as current President.

chip104:
why don't they publish?

the information we have are applied and published data collated over time and space, think of the ASAP as having a cummulative knowledge of the biodiversity of the underwater world.

it's knowledge of understanding specie specific requirements to thrive and propagate to biodiversity of environment (what species are needed for the environment to thrive) to those specializing in plants, algae, micro lifeforms (those that most people don't bother to care or have never seen before- mysis shrimps, nymphs etc.,

if Aquarist and Scuba divers share knowledge with fisherfolk, i tell you we shall see a very healthy sea.... what about city dwellers whose sewage goes to the sea?.....
\\

paolov:
the information we have are applied and published data collated over time and space, think of the ASAP as having a cummulative knowledge of the biodiversity of the underwater world.

it's knowledge of understanding specie specific requirements to thrive and propagate to biodiversity of environment (what species are needed for the environment to thrive) to those specializing in plants, algae, micro lifeforms (those that most people don't bother to care or have never seen before- mysis shrimps, nymphs etc.,

if Aquarist and Scuba divers share knowledge with fisherfolk, i tell you we shall see a very healthy sea.... what about city dwellers whose sewage goes to the sea?.....
\\
If the ASAP ever thinks of running a seminar, I'd gladly sign up for it. When's your next meeting?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom