Our local reefs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what!! and all this time I thought they were saying derogatory things about korean divers again in tagalog... :wink: (just kiddin)

By the way, getting back on topic, do any of you have close connections with the various dive shops in the philippines. Is there any loose organization of local dive shops at the respective resort areas - maybe something like a PG dive resort association? In addition to general public awareness on the plight of PI reefs, I would think it would be in the best interests of these dive shops to also promote reef conservation considering their livelihood depends on it...

pakman:
what!! and all this time I thought they were saying derogatory things about korean divers again in tagalog... :wink: (just kiddin)

By the way, getting back on topic, do any of you have close connections with the various dive shops in the philippines. Is there any loose organization of local dive shops at the respective resort areas - maybe something like a PG dive resort association? In addition to general public awareness on the plight of PI reefs, I would think it would be in the best interests of these dive shops to also promote reef conservation considering their livelihood depends on it...
from what i know the major dive havens have shop associations - anilao, pg, boracay... and they do try to be active in conservation and local awareness... it's a good start

Jag

PS
"korean" in tagalog is "koryano" hehehehehehe

exactly, it would be controlled by politicians with just monetary interests and not environmental management for the long term.

so what may we do about it?

iris_ice:
sorry, guys. we're actually against this specific draft DENR AO. it's masked to allow politician-businessmen to get their hands on hectares and hectares of coastal waters for their own use to the detriment of local fishermen. i think it's safe to post dr. lacanilao's open letter to denr. it's been sent to various local newspapers. we hope DENR will listen but as of 16 nov. the secretary was set to sign it since he was leaving for abroad. we don't know if it's been signed already...

what the hey, i'll post dr. primavera's letter as well...

there are several NGOs that are covering the seas state and the local fisherfolk. i think these NGO are better to be the prime movers than the LDS or other commercial gourps.

the Commercial groups would be effective i think if they provide economic support. but so far the local community really has to be mobilized and HOPE that the leaders of the group would use the money and resources for their intended purpose.

i will invite one active diver to join this discussion if he still has the time.

I am still here waiting to hear about a possible solution.....we are waiting for some guidance. Since we are not home all of the time we are relegated to a supporting position in this effort. Just tell us what we can do to help.

clgsamson:
Does it have a marinduque reef state article?
sorry caloy, just checked today. No marinduque. No Bicol region either. Has Masbate though.

Let's get some corporate money from the Philippines! That is the way to get the "real dollars". It is amazing how much money flows through the Philippines and does not get put back into the local environment. Before anyone mentions corruption, graft, and all of thos bad things, let's address the issue from a diver's view. One of the BIG MONEY families has to have a diver in it. That is where we start. So, who do we target for asking for some help with this effort? Who do we know?

the project has to have prime movers first and foremost.

before we ask monies.

You guys are there......who is a "prime mover"? I like the idea very much. Do we need to get a municipality LGU involved? I can attempt that when we go home. Remember, we're talking about Antique (Panay Island) which is south of Boracay.......I'll try it but I need to know you guys are willing.

Back
Top Bottom