Our local reefs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the things that could make a difference, is enforcement of existing laws, like no dynamite and cyanide fishing for starters. Another, would be preventing the illegal exportations of corals, black seafans, sea horses, shells, etc. and implemention of some kind of sustainable fishing. All three cost a lot of money and resources and can only be achieved if the people and government work together.
It is sad to read that 95% of the Philippines reefs are under threat.

Marine resource zoning is effective, especially combined with local jurisdictional control.

Assign local settlements exclusive management rights to adjacent coastal waters. This gives them an incentive to take care of their natural resources. After a while, the fishermen will start policing themselves, or at least band together to keep non-local fishing vessels away.

Areas that are more successful at maintaining their fisheries will serve as models for less successful areas. Less successful areas will destroy their local habitat, but the lesson will be learned on a small scale as opposed to a large one.

there is a local ordinace in Mabini the local government of Anilao seas.

the fund collectedf rom divers should be used for the maintenance and protection of the reefs of anilao. however what needs to happen is that the entire nation take notice of the NONENFORCEMENT of regulations. like what has been stated

so it seems that it is not only in anilao nor the philippines but is also a prevalent problem elsewhere.

we need to know how, if there are any success stories of reefs being protected and local villagers get to have food on their table everyday.

when it comes to marginal fisherfolk, the rules give preference for human life.

what it really needs is to have the community and the divers work together.
SSI in anilao is trying this method to promote awareness of the underwater state.

i'll have them join in this discussion.

as far as conservation is concerned there is an island down south where turtles lay eggs. it is currently protected by Malaysia and the Philippines where the people watching are volunteers for 6 months. and they do welcome volunteers to help. this is real volunteer work the hard work

PAWB handles this

HERE IS THE LINK

http://www.pawb.gov.ph/pcp_page.htm

Note to Mods - can this be made a 'sticky'?

I believe the biggest problem to over fishing and reef damage is OVER POPULATION - as what Axua had said. No amount of education or policing will help if people are starving. Fishing is one of the easiest ways to feed your family. First things first is to control population and solve poverty.

But its not that simple given the fact that the Catholic Church here is touting the gift of life as God's blessing - without even considering the "quality of life" these children will have. If I may say so, the church here actually helped the country become poorer.

No offense intended to Catholic priests and I'm not an expert nor an atheist FYI. This is just my opinion.

- Allen

phildiver88:
I believe the biggest problem to over fishing and reef damage is OVER POPULATION - as what Axua had said. No amount of education or policing will help if people are starving. Fishing is one of the easiest ways to feed your family. First things first is to control population and solve poverty.

But its not that simple given the fact that the Catholic Church here is touting the gift of life as God's blessing - without even considering the "quality of life" these children will have. If I may say so, the church here actually helped the country become poorer.

No offense intended to Catholic priests and I'm not an expert nor an atheist FYI. This is just my opinion.

- Allen
Yes, overpopulation puts tremendous pressure on all our natural resources, including our fish stocks and the health of the reefs. In the Philippines, there is no separation of church and state and several of the policies were practically dictated by the church. This has always been my beef, because of the bad policies the gov't ends up implementing (Population control - No contraceptives, comes to mind).
Dont get me wrong, I am not bashing the Catholic church. In fact, I am a Catholic. In the US, I am what they call a cafeteria catholic, however, a practicing one nontheless.

Enrique

i agree , what can we do about it?

how about lets invite the PAWB guys to join this discussion?

read on a document on http://www.pawb.gov.ph/ about Draft on Coastal Area Special Uses Agreement and see if we here at PPD can organize a group to have as our official project under ScubaBoard.

Back
Top Bottom