Our local reefs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chewie:
aba suzu, ang dito ka rin pala! hehehe :D peace!

continuing with the topic, it's a good thing that people are starting to realize that conserving the environment is of utmost importance. but, if not properly managed, it would be a total waste of time, money & effort. the recent increase of the "conservation fees" a.k.a the daily dive passes is a good indication, but the real test of the LGU is showing results from what they have collected over the years. sometimes thinking about shelling the extra 200 feels like a burden. there should be clear guidelines as well as where to dive or not to dive.

i remember years ago when i was starting diving, the group (we were 6) was starting a dive when suddenly we heard a loud explosion & felt a shock wave! we all surfaced thinking that one of our tanks or regs exploded only to find out that there was dynamite fishing all the way from the other side of the island. things like this must be properly handled as not to spoil the fun in diving. :D
chewie ochoa???

Jag

Okay....what are we going to do? PAOLOV and I have been talking but nothing firm yet. We're here to help anyway we can.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of detailed information regarding the state of our Philippine reefs and some videos also about Philippine coral reef, destructive fishing, coral reef restoration or the like? I'd like to include a short presentation about Philippine coral reef in all my class and probably piece together a short AVP presentation about the beauty of it and the things that destroy it.

Axua:
Does anyone know where I can get hold of detailed information regarding the state of our Philippine reefs and some videos also about Philippine coral reef, destructive fishing, coral reef restoration or the like? I'd like to include a short presentation about Philippine coral reef in all my class and probably piece together a short AVP presentation about the beauty of it and the things that destroy it.
timbrehan kita if i get some... my natural sciences teachers are currently sourcing some stuff from haribon palawan among others

Jag

Axua:

Hi Axua!!!

well done mate:05:

here a link that might interest you:07:

http://www.aims.gov.au/pages/research/project-net/reefs-at-risk/apnet-rar04.html

"the 4 Ds" of coral reef impact:
damage,
degradation,
depletion, and
destruction.

ayan PADI na PADI ang dating...hehehe

"In the Philippines many tridacnid clam species have become locally extinct. The main cause is the trade in shells, frequently sold to tourists as ashtrays and soap dishes."

jonix:
@axua: maybe the MSI kids can help :wink:

Alino, P.M., et al. (2002). Atlas of Philippine Coral Reefs. Philippine Coral Reef Information (PhilReefs). Goodwill Trading Co., Inc (Goodwill Bookstore), Quezon City, Philippines. xvi +264pp

P795 na lang in our MSI library. I think I'll get one next week. It's pretty good, it analyzes each region's reef history, status, wildlife present, recommendations performed, recommendations that should be done. It's a lot more reading than illustrations (since some of the chapters are made up of research articles) but the status of the country's reefs are all in there (as current of 2002).

I'm pretty sure Phillreefs also has a website that should have info.

Hope that helps.

shugar:
ooops! sorry kim! nothing important in that last exchange, actually it's OT (but not a hijack i think)... my bad!

Jag
I didn't think there was. It just crossed my mind that a lot of people are probably following such a thread as it concerns something very important. It would be a shame if they gave up because they couldn't follow it.
Like I said - I really don't mean to be critical (and I'm definitely not wearing a Mod cap on this) - I just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Anyway......back to the reef discussion......

chip104:
Alino, P.M., et al. (2002). Atlas of Philippine Coral Reefs. Philippine Coral Reef Information (PhilReefs). Goodwill Trading Co., Inc (Goodwill Bookstore), Quezon City, Philippines. xvi +264pp

P795 na lang in our MSI library. I think I'll get one next week. It's pretty good, it analyzes each region's reef history, status, wildlife present, recommendations performed, recommendations that should be done. It's a lot more reading than illustrations (since some of the chapters are made up of research articles) but the status of the country's reefs are all in there (as current of 2002).

I'm pretty sure Phillreefs also has a website that should have info.

Hope that helps.
Does it have a marinduque reef state article?

Back
Top Bottom