Other lighter weight fins similar to JetFins or Turtles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vlada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive Jetfins with my drysuit and doubles here at home - love the control, precision and power they give me - very inportant for photographer

But i also do couple of tropical trips per year - my jetfins are too big for my wetsuit booties and too heavy to transport (weight becomes important when you also have 20 lb of photogear)

So the question is for those of you who dive Jetfins or Turtles - have you ever encounter a recreational fin (plastic, whatever) that had performance charasteristics similar to Jets?

Thanks a lot,

Vlada

Mares Plana Avanti L fins are full foot fins (no booties required) that have similar power and control to a pair of Jets.

I wear Jets in water that requires boots or with the drysuit, and my Avanti Ls in barefoot water temperature.

Be aware that if you can easily put on a set of full foot fins with your feet dry, the fin foot pockets are too big!

FT

The Avanti L is a great fin that is out of production. The new model is the Quattro Power, or something like that. These fins are a bit on the long side, and are not so easy to pack.

Along the lines of FredT's thinking I would go full foot for warm water as well. Something stiff and not too long. I would look at the Technisub Ala (not officially distributed in the US, but stiff wide and short like the Jets), Technisub Stratos FP, Mares HP (a bit soft) and the Cressi-Sub Rondine Pro Star. Then, buy the one that fits best.

I have 2 types I use for that warm water diving; an old pair of Dacor Turbo Fins & Duck Feet. Neither are what I'd call "light" but they do have a good blade action, with the Turbos being a tad softer.
Duck Feet are being produced again, the regular newer ones are popular with the boogie boarding & body surfing crowd (as are Churchills). There is even a current run of the UDT Giant Duck Feet for the folks with tree trunk size legs.

Dacor makes an open heel, lightweight plastic fin modeled after the jet and rocket fins called the TurboFlex. I have never tried it but it may be something to check out

I use Jet Fins when I'm home. When I travel, I use Jet Fins. I take my Jets in my carry on luggage. I'll use any BC, any regulator, but the one item I will not compromise on is my fins. Nothing else gives the same power and control with minimal effort.

Do they work as well as you would expect a fin to work or are they a compromise between performance and portability? I really like the idea of slipping something so small into my suitcase, but I'm afraid I won't like the fins.

Bob3 once bubbled...
I have 2 types I use for that warm water diving; an old pair of Dacor Turbo Fins & Duck Feet. Neither are what I'd call "light" but they do have a good blade action, with the Turbos being a tad softer.
Duck Feet are being produced again, the regular newer ones are popular with the boogie boarding & body surfing crowd

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom