Oscilloscopes...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a Civil Engineer, nope....

And with that, I don't have a clue how one could apply to SCUBA. A basic V-O Meter seems to be my most likely implemented device, but even that has limited application.

Curious if this thread shows me something new. Always learning...
You do know the difference between MechEs and CEs, right?

I have a couple of scopes. I've been using them for a Long Time. I have no clue why one would be useful for diagnosing the average scooter. Can you elaborate?

You could use it to check to see if there is any AC component in the DC charge voltage of your various battery (dive light, scooter, etc) chargers indicating a bridge rectifier issue. But that would be a stretch. Or you could create a Lissajous pattern on the screen and pretend you’re a mad scientist creating a Frankenstein monster.

You could use it to check to see if there is any AC component in the DC charge voltage of your various battery (dive light, scooter, etc) chargers indicating a bridge rectifier issue. But that would be a stretch. Or you could create a Lissajous pattern on the screen and pretend you’re a mad scientist creating a Frankenstein monster.

Used to use those patterns ("cat's eyes") to align disc drive heads on 1970's era computers. With a 'scope displaying a Lissajous pattern and a Jacob's ladder made from a oil burner transformer and a couple of steel rods, you could have a horror movie set in a heartbeat!

Lissajous patterns are an Outer Limits thing. They started every episode of the original series with a scope screen.

Eye diagrams are used today to analyze very high frequency signals like laser diodes driving optical fibers, 10GHz+ stuff where most scopes cannot capture single waveforms. Sampling scopes can build up a composite display but it's not real time.

I use my pico scope nearly every day for work. Outside of the occasional CAN issues on the dive boat, I haven't ever found a need in diving.

I have a couple of scopes. I've been using them for a Long Time. I have no clue why one would be useful for diagnosing the average scooter. Can you elaborate?
Alas, I cannot. A couple of guys brought in a scooter to my Hackerspace a year or so ago, and had a scope hooked up trying to suss something out in the motor. I was in a lot of pain at the time, so I wasn't able to follow their process. I don't own a scooter, so I had no need to follow the process either. I was there to see friends at that time.

Have scope, rarely use it. As in it will sit for years before there is a good reason to bring it out.

Unless you are into circuit board repair/modification/building I see no value in it for diving.
Even at the repair/modify/building uses, dealing with regular electronics and not even diving.

A standard DVOM is more useful. Often a test light is even better than a meter when dealing with boat/vehicle electrical stuff.

My old CRT scope is getting old. To the point I need to let it run for a good 5 minutes before trying to zero it out and cal it. I think a couple of the caps are going away. Keeping an eye out for a basic modern replacement. Found a couple of deals but wasn't fast enough. No rush, I have a functional one for now.

Often a test light is even better than a meter when dealing with boat/vehicle electrical stuff.
Unless you are troubleshooting incandescent lights, I can't think of a single use for a test light on anything made in the last 20 years.
There is one in my toolbox, I still use it for cylinder cutout testing on old distributor ignition systems, that is pretty much the only use for it at this point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom