Orphaned Diver, Looking to Join A Dive Club...

Are you a member of a dive club?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RRedd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Everyone,

I recently found out that my long time dive buddy is having ear surgery. Hopefully, this will not permanently disable his diving ability. As we all may know, this could be a possibility. In response, I am looking to join a dive club.

I am in the Birmingham, Alabama Metro area. There are a few local dive shops and a rock quarry where most divers converge. I am looking for a Dive Club that I can be a part of. I am willing to join the one affiliated with the local dive shops, but would prefer one that is not.

Any help and/or guidance on this would be nice... Thanks in advance!

RR

I wasn't really sure where to start, so I came back to where I was comfortable.. ScubaBoard... I will look into that and I appreciate your advice.

If you don't have a local active dive club, get a few local divers together and start your own. We did that a little over 10 years ago with 6 of us who were fed up with the local dive shops club that was not very active. We now have 416 members. We have switched from meetup to facebook though because of the political posturing and cost. Just meet once a month at a local restaurant, and plan dives and events. Don't charge any fee's, just sell t-shirts for a few dollars profit if you need money to pay for domain names and websites if necessary.

Try meetup.com I looked briefly, and it looks like they have a group with about 291 members in the area. Hopefully that will work for you.

I know the feeling. I moved to another area once and quit diving, because I didn't know anyone. When I moved to my current location, I marched myself to the local dive club meeting after about a year. That has been one of the best decisions I've made since I moved. The people I've met have been wonderful and supportive of all types and skill levels. I hope you find the same.

Back
Top Bottom