Orlando, Fla? Any ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba buddha

Reaction score
So my dive buddy and I are looking into going and visiting her folks in Orlando. Anyone know of good places to get Adv. training? How about dive sites are they warm or cold? Viz? How about schools? Any help is most appreciated.

thank,
Andre'

=-)

It's a different type of experience but Dive Quest at Epcot I've heard is really amazing. I live in Orlando and attend UCF and am planning on checking it out. Your best bet however, if you dont mind making a 2 hour and 15 minute drive...is to go down to West Palm Beach....our dive club did a dive there in June and it was amazing, probably the best reefs in Florida. As far as the immediate Orlando area, I really don't know of any spectacular spots.

There is a dive shop just west of orlando that I deal with called Florida Scuba Connection. They do advanced classes there. not sure where they do the dives at. www.floridascubaconnection.com

You can do a search on the message board here and there is lots of info on dive sites around Orlando. Most sites are within a 1-3 hour drive.

There are tons of shops here in Orlando.

There are tons of dives in a decent driving radius.

The temperature depends upon where you go....

One place to start is http://www.diveorlando.com. I've never used them.

Peter Doege

Orlando has many many dive shops. Do a web search for Orlando and dive and you'll have plenty of people to talk to. I use about 4 different shops for different reasons. West Palm Beach has great diving but there are several fresh water springs in and near Orlando which are worth a few dives. Springs are clear, cold, and interesting. Depending on how long you'll be visiting and your training level there are dive boats from Jacksonville to Key West. Also, visit Florida Scuba News web page http://www.scubanews.com[/COLOR] for additional info on shops, dive boats, equipment, rentals, etc. You'll need a 3mm wet suite in most situations. :scuba:

Hi,

I'm from Orlando. Dive Quest I thought was so so. Although you see a variety of sea life there is no excitement of surprise. They prett much tell you what's in the tank and don't see anything that everyone else has seen. On the positive side there are a lot of dive shops. For training There are Extasea and the Dive station. Extasea will train people up to Dive Master. If you want to buy gear I recommend Divers Direct Outlet. You may want to try out springs diving; Ginnie springs, Blue Grotto, Devil's Den. I also need to mention Crystal River. A lot of dive shops there have a snorkeling/diving combo where you see manatees. I strongly recommend a wetsuit of 5mil for the springs since the water can be a bit chilly.

I enjoyed Dive Quest.
It is diving in an aquarium, I think its the largest.
You can get close to the sharks.
The cool part for me was the fact that I was there with my family, non diving kids and grand parents.
They watch on like all the other spectators, there is even a view from the restaurant.
All the spectators are excited about seeing divers in the tank, as you are part of "the show".

The Disney guide told us a fun game - put your hands to the window in front of a little kid. They will often put their hands up to match yours. Then slowly start to rotate upside down, and they'll try to match hands. Obviously a lot easier to rotate underwater:)

Go diving a Blue Spring State Park in Orange City. It's off I-4 heading north out of Orlando. The park costs $5 for a dive. It's clear and 120-feet almost straight down. You need a cave/cavern certification to carry lights in there. Open water divers stay in the light zone. You can go down 85 feet before it starts getting dark.
Nice nice nice nice nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom