Oriskany?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've dove it quite a few times, over the past few years, running technical trips over multiple days. It is too long a ride to just do one dive, so we arrange for our boat to spend 4 to 5 hours actually tied on on the site, so we can get two long deco dives in.

Sadly there is not much to dive it recreationally on - the island is a very small dive, and if you respect the 130 ft mark, you can't explore the deck or even the lowest level of the island.

Be careful of your fills, I noticed a post earlier about one operator being "meticulous about the Nitrox fills"...I suggest you read our blog for a different point of view on that!

BoGrady told me about diving there several times- he said it's awesome, and to go on a Monday night for the second dive, as you may get extra dive time this way. I think you must use their gear and wetsuits, but it would be worth it to dive in a 2 million gallon tank with amazing sea life!

Foo
My wife and I have done this and the Dolphin Encouter at Epcot both were great. The only peice of your own gear you can use is a mask.

In order to protect the aquatic life from any kind of contamination, they require to wear all their gear.

But it is great fun, and well worth the price.

Hi. I'm not a member of the MD's, (but am desperate to get back in the water again, currently in K-rock and looking for places in Texas to get my fix).
That said, I have made 9 or 10 dives to the O'. Allot to do there for both Tech and Rec types. Much of the structure above the flight deck has been sanitized for swim-through and moderate penetration. Last time I was on the wreck the flight deck sat at 133ft, so the recreational types could stick out a pole and touch it before they had to head top-side. The furthest into the wreck I have been was inside the flight deck, which was wide open and you could swim through to the opposite elevator door.

If the vis is good, it's truly awesome to see as you come down the line because the entire wreck materializes at once. It was enough to give pause simply because something that large doesn't look quite right under water. Allot of marine life around the wreck (beware the B-cuda that seem to enjoy staring you down during your deco-stop's). Allot of things have begun growing onto the structure as well, though when I was there last summer you could still see the majority of the metal/paint/rust that was the ship.

Feel free to ask if you have other ?'s. I think I have some photos of the wreck as well.

There are only 4 places remaining if anyone is hanging on thinking about it- get with me quickly.

Best

P

Talk about timing... I just posted in the marketplace thread asking about this. I need to check a few things to make sure I can extend my trip to Florida a little longer, but if so, I'll definitely sign up.
Be back with you shortly.

Thanks,
David

My sister and I are planning a dive on Oriskany around 10 October 2009. Also, going to Vortex (Vortoberfest), Manatees at Crystal River and the tank at Epcot. Any trip reports on these subjects would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mary

My sister and I are planning a dive on Oriskany around 10 October 2009. Also, going to Vortex (Vortoberfest), Manatees at Crystal River and the tank at Epcot. Any trip reports on these subjects would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mary

Here ya go Mary, though it's not complete yet...
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas-swamp-divers/295073-florida-cave-wreck-trip-report-july-2009-a.html

Also check out this for great Florida Springs Cavern intel: TampaDiving.com :: Florida Cave & Cavern Systems

Have a great trip and safe diving!

The Oriskany is a blast to dive, but beware of putting too much trust in the locals. Read some interesting highlights here in our Oriskany Trip blog entry.

Some of my shots form my dive on the Mighty O...

arrow_crabs.jpg

LtGobyonWatch.jpg

oriskany-flags800.jpg

oriskanytower800.jpg

oriskanyflightdeck800.jpg

got_away800.jpg

This was over a year ago, I am sure it has improved since then!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom