Oriskany?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k-valve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone ever dove the Oriskany before? I'm going this summer with Paul's group. I'm looking forward to the dive, but don't know a soul who's dove it. Some of us are planning a technical dive...others will be doing a couple of recreational dives. Any info ya'll have would be great!

Also, I understand there are a few spots left. If you're interested there's more info in the Trips and Local Marketplace section of the TSD forum.

Wish I could go, it is on my list. But just cant make it right now.

Willie

Theres a good articelin this months Dive magazine on the O. And yes- the boat can accommodate a few more- it is green on GO!

Costs on this trip are being kept to an absolute minimum, BTW.

P

I am assuming - I know, I know - that we'd be headed to Gulf Shores to meet the boat?

Maybe I can pull this off...would be doing Rec dives if I can make the trip. If I can make it, would there be some carpooling going on from Austin? 14mpg in my truck = the trip cost x 10 lol

I did one dive on it, sat the second one out, then drove on into florida for the rest of the trip.

I didn't like it

I should expand on that

I hate boats, waves, and salt water

I have dove the Oriskany a couple of times. Once off of a bigger boat out of Gulf Shores Alabama, I believe the name of the op was Dive Down Under. The other time was with an operator called Dr. Dive. He has a smaller boat (less than 30 ft) but it is really fast and we were back in Pensacola for lunch. I would recommend either operator.

I enjoyed several of the other dives in Pensacola more than the Oriskany, such as the Bridge Rubble dive and the Russian Freighter. As a bonus these dives are only half the distance from Pensacola as the Oriskany.

Happy Dives

This is going to be really fun & I'm excited to finally go and dive the worlds largest artificial reef! :D

When Timeliner returns from BB, I'm sure he will chime in here, as I know he has dived (diven, dove) the Oriskany. I'm sure you will have a great time, k-valve- you will have a great time diving anywhere... from the Caribbean to the Paris tunnels.

Visibility is reportedly good (and for the intellectual giants who require such clarifications- past performance is no guarantee of future results).

Life on the vessel is ever increasing with some well established predators calling it home. Quite a number of octopi there, allegedly.

P

ahhh, salt water wrecks- perfect!

Back
Top Bottom