Oriskany?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you find yourself at the Swamper Fling next week and are interested in finding out more re the Oriskany dive on 18 July drop by and say hello. You will recognise me as I am the rather dapper, Englishman sporting a well developed Napoleon complex.

P

Paul,

It's a good thind she's a big ship since it looks like there will be quite a crowd that weekend. We have a group of 11 or so driving down from Cincinnati and sailing out of P'cola, so I'll be on the lookout for a dapper fellow on a re-breather.

I'm looking forward to the dive, since one of my very good friends served aboard her during the Viet Nam days. So I want to get some good pics for him.

Hope to see you there.

I dove it last year about this time. It's a long ride out there from Gulf Shoals--26 miles--more than 2 hours. It's pretty cool though. I think that to really get the most of the experience you'd have to do a tech dive and get below the deck. Why? because all you can do is the superstructure at recreational depths. having said that, the superstructure is a really big thing and really interesting. We did two tanks with an hour surface interval in between each dive. On each dive, we probably averaged about 85 to 100 feet. You'll probably see an octopus crammed in somewhere if you look around. It would have been good to do on Nitrox, but we did it on air. Because of the distance from shore, it's an all day affair on the big dive boat. After, we had sushi at Red's, which is pretty good little spot, where you can watch the fisherman come in and unload their catch. The vis was great when we were there. I dont remember the water temp, but I dove in a 5mm full and was fine. Is it as cool as the Spiegel Grove? No, not for recreational diving. Is it a great dive? Yes. I would love to hear about the diving below the flight deck. I'm sure it's awesome.

Well, I'll get to do just about all of that. Of course, the Paris tunnels will have to be another day, but my daughter and I are leaving on July 7th and taking a couple of days to drive to Orlando where she can get her fill of DisneyWorld, EPCOT Center, etc. On the 11th we pick up Brandon at the Orlando airport and head to cave country. We'll be doing a lot of diving on our way back toward Pensacola and do the Oriskany dive with Paul and company on the 18th. Should be a heckuva a trip all 'round. :D

When Timeliner returns from BB, I'm sure he will chime in here, as I know he has dived (diven, dove) the Oriskany. I'm sure you will have a great time, k-valve- you will have a great time diving anywhere... from the Caribbean to the Paris tunnels.

I'd start with this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-dixie-divers/198536-all-inclusive-oriskany-thread.html

I booked Captain Douglas's H2O Below through MBT divers. I really liked MBT because they rent higher capacity tanks and are meticulous about their Nitrox fills. I used an LP 95 but I understand they have other high capacity tanks too, be sure to reserve early. Be sure to spare some time to browse the shop, there's plenty of Mighty O stuff to puruse. The H2O below and Crew were great. Excellent DM & dive brief. Oh adn hot dogs on the ride home, what more can you ask for?

MBT Dive & Surf  Pensacola, Florida (850) 455-7702

I think that the Downunder dive shop also goes to the O out of Orange Beach Al. THey also have a big Newton dive boat.

Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Diving, Oriskany Dive - Down Under Dive Shop

Find other posts on the O under this thread:
Deep Dixie Divers - ScubaBoard

I dove the Oriskany last August. Last year was strange and water temps were cooler than normal, it was in the low to mid 70's at depth. Vis was good to, probably >50. Last year's hurricanes sunk her another 10 feet or so. The top of the tower is ~80 ft now. Don't worry there's still plenty to see <130. My two dives were 121 & 104 ft. I'd suggest picking up one of those plastic cards that shows the wreck ahead of time to help you plan your dives. Also, a guided DM tour would probably also be worth it. Maybe next time I'll try Dr. Dive or somebody like that. It's extra $ but might be worth it. This is an advanced dive. I got a little narcd and anxious when I broke a fin at 120 ft. No worries, I had great buddies.

Pay attention to the dive briefing and be sure to come up the correct mooring rope. I wouldn't get gung ho and try to touch the deck, but that's just me.

It's a cool dive, kind of a been there done that thing for me. If you're in the area I'd suggest diving in Pensacola in general and Panama City Beach. I never cared for Destin that much.

Have fun!

This is an advanced dive. I got a little narcd and anxious when I broke a fin at 120 ft. No worries, I had great buddies.
Great post, but I'm particularly interested in hearing about this story... do you have this dive report posted anywhere? Or will you post it, please? Thanks!!

Kvalve try the dive at epcot its pretty cool

BoGrady told me about diving there several times- he said it's awesome, and to go on a Monday night for the second dive, as you may get extra dive time this way. I think you must use their gear and wetsuits, but it would be worth it to dive in a 2 million gallon tank with amazing sea life!

The Mighty O is an awesome dive. I have done it several times (but I live in AL). Lots of big fish, Octo, and I have been swarmed by jellyfish on a few occasions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom