Oriskany tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it sounds like you'll be in West Pensacola, if you're using Dive Pros. Check out Hub Stacey's for Burgers and Beer, The original Point Restaurant. There's also a restaurant by the Bayou Chico marina.

Don't forget your dive computer. I'm diving 3 tanks with Niuhi on Saturday, doing some hunting.

@DocWong, I think MBT does tri-mix/tech diving fills. Dive Pros says they do tri-mix as well.

I didn't put this trip together, getting tanks and weights from Pro Dive (or Dive Pro). Staying in an Air BnB around Pensacola, and taking a private charter with a guide. Normally, I know all the details but I just don't care on this one. Get me to blue water and push my ass off the boat....it's been a rough couple of months. I need some bubble therapy in a bad bad way.

This is an annual trip like releasing 5 twelve year olds on the world with dads wallet and the keys to a truck. No wives, no adult supervision, no limits.....translation- enough blood pressure, cholesterol, flow max, Metamucil, geratol, Tylenol Arthritis, Advil, Alieve, and other geriatric meds to stock a nursing home pharmacy and we party like rock stars (if rock stars fell asleep after 2 Beers and snorted lines of Benefiber) until about 8 pm when we need to be asleep because we are all up all night peeing. Absolute debauchery....sort of....not really. I might have 3 beers....

All divers are very experienced, thousands of dives between us, but doing it in single tank rec gear. I'll take a hp120 just in case someone runs low, maybe a pony too. I like to stay down...deco or not.

Keep the suggestions coming, I'll drive a bit for good food. Prefer local, hole in the wall, locals-only type places...and local beers...

As always, I'll write a trip report when I get back to share any kernels of wisdom I might find.

I just ordered the complete greatest hits collection of Lawrence Welk!! Party on Garth....AAAAAND AHHHHHHHH ONE AND AAAAAAAHHHHHHH TWO.....

Jay

Future me....is that you?o_O

Highly recomend MBT. Great group there. Enjoy and post about the dive if you get the chance.

Been to her once. AN/DP and that got me to the 150's flight deck.
Now have a rebreather and will someday spend some time in the hanger deck.

I hate saying this, but for a recreational diver all there really is to see is the island. Not that impressive in my opinion. The preverbal tip of the iceberg.

I appreciate your honesty. Does that mean the boats strictly enforce a limit of 130' for air divers and may not let you make the second dive if you do go into deco ? How deep did you go ?
Do you happen to know which is more liberal with the depth limits, H2O below or Niuhi ?

I appreciate your honesty. Does that mean the boats strictly enforce a limit of 130' for air divers and may not let you make the second dive if you do go into deco ? How deep did you go ?
Do you happen to know which is more liberal with the depth limits, H2O below or Niuhi ?
I do not know the boats policies. I am not going to comment to what you may or may not be able to do.

I was down 150ish, couple others dropped into the hanger for a moment. Everyone was on doubles with a deco bottle, and yes we were all doing deco dives. There was another group that was even more hard core and were doing deep penatrations of the interior. They were regulars, had maps, knew what room was the target for the day. Everyone on the boat was doing deco diving except one gentleman who was doing a recreational dive to the tower.

He wanted to see the ship one last time. He was on it when the big fire happened. He normally walked past where the locker fire was at, then went up a level. That day he went up a level first then walked the hallway. He had a lot of cool insider stories that it would have been cool to have recorded and made a transcript of. The fire is pretty well known and documented, but after the fire they went back to San Diego. Then were ordered up to San Francisco for repairs. So they took everyone's cars that were in San Diego, loaded them on the flight deck so they would have there cars in San Francisco. Bunch of stories like that.

Sounds like I better have the AN/DP before going there if I really want to enjoy it. Even then I wont see all of it, but some of it. Then when I get the Trimix cert I will go back and see the bottom on up.

Sounds like I better have the AN/DP before going there if I really want to enjoy it. Even then I wont see all of it, but some of it. Then when I get the Trimix cert I will go back and see the bottom on up.
Add Helitrox to AN/DP if you can. Highly recommended. That gets you up to 35% helium down to 150ft. Even if you don’t dive Helitrox much it’s good to have the option.

Anyone know why the magical cutoff of 35% with a Helitrox cert? I'm ignorant.

Anyone know why the magical cutoff of 35% with a Helitrox cert? I'm ignorant.
It used to be 20%. It was enough to calm the narc at 150' and get your END back to up to 110 ish.
They bumped it to 35% to bring the EADD down for rebreathers. It also gets your END back closer to 80'.
I rarely blend 21/35 for OC divers, it is a substantial cost for narcosis management.
25/20 is very common here in the lakes for ANDP helitrox divers..

Add Helitrox to AN/DP if you can. Highly recommended. That gets you up to 35% helium down to 150ft. Even if you don’t dive Helitrox much it’s good to have the option.
Thats a good tip. How long does it take and what does it typically cosy for the Helitrox and how deep can you go with that ? If the shop will allow me to tack that on at the end of AN/DP I will do that, since I was already told I could not add Trimix at the end of AN/DP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom