Oriskany tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like there is a lot of cross over between AN/DP and Helitrox, much the same as there is between Extended Range and Nitrox.
At least I would have access to 35% Helium until I can go back and get the Basic Trimix.

Thats a good tip. How long does it take and what does it typically cosy for the Helitrox and how deep can you go with that ? If the shop will allow me to tack that on at the end of AN/DP I will do that, since I was already told I could not add Nitrox at the end of AN/DP.
The instructor has to be a Trimix instructor in order to teach Helitrox. It’s not tacked on at the end of AN/DP, it’s woven into it. Cost will depend on dive shop. Officially it’s AN/Helitrox. You don’t get a separate DP card. That’s covered under the Helitrox portion. My class was $800 plus gas costs. Helium in FL is considerably cheaper than the $4.60/cft I paid in the Chicago area last year. About $90 just for the 20% helium on a 3000 psi fill for one LP85. So $180 per dive for helium.

Couldn’t add nitrox at end of AN/DP? You have to already have basic nitrox to do AN/DP. It’s Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures.

AN/DP/Helitrox has a depth limit of 150ft. Same number of dives as AN/DP. It just adds some extra bookwork/eLearning and you would be doing at least some dives on light Trimix (Helitrox). I used 20/20 (20% helium/20% O2 for my class dives last year. Partway through class. Ran into scheduling issues so will finish this year. The clear head was lovely. I get narced bad.

The instructor has to be a Trimix instructor in order to teach Helitrox. It’s not tacked on at the end of AN/DP, it’s woven into it. Cost will depend on dive shop. Officially it’s AN/Helitrox. You don’t get a separate DP card. That’s covered under the Helitrox portion. My class was $800 plus gas costs. Helium in FL is considerably cheaper than the $4.60/cft I paid in the Chicago area last year. About $90 just for the 20% helium on a 3000 psi fill for one LP85. So $180 per dive for helium.

Couldn’t add nitrox at end of AN/DP? You have to already have basic nitrox to do AN/DP. It’s Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures.
I made an error and typed no Trimix after AN/DP, when I meant to type they wont give me the Basic Trimix after AN/DP, I went back and edit fixed my error. Sounds like they would weave it into the AN/DP, much the same as they said they could weave Extended Range into the Trimix, if I felt I really wanted it, which I do.
Yesterday, I bought an O2 cleaned AL40 for future use as a deo bottle. I aks my LDS, which isnt really local but a 45 minute drive what they charge for Helium $2/ft and 100% O2 fill for an AL40 is $25. Seems much cheaper than FL.
As for the LP85, that is on my shopping list also. Not easy to come by. While at the LDS yesterday, I did see a used OMS 98 cu ft doubles with bands and manifold for $400.

I made an error and typed no Trimix after AN/DP, when I meant to type they wont give me the Basic Trimix after AN/DP, I went back and edit fixed my error. Sounds like they would weave it into the AN/DP, much the same as they said they could weave Extended Range into the Trimix, if I felt I really wanted it, which I do.
Yesterday, I bought an O2 cleaned AL40 for future use as a deo bottle. I aks my LDS, which isnt really local but a 45 minute drive what they charge for Helium $2/ft and 100% O2 fill for an AL40 is $25. Seems much cheaper than FL.
As for the LP85, that is on my shopping list also. Not easy to come by. While at the LDS yesterday, I did see a used OMS 98 cu ft doubles with bands and manifold for $400.
New steels are in short supply due to shipping and materials shortages. New steels for the US come from one manufacturer in Italy.

My high helium costs are in the Midwest. From what everyone has said here, FL is less than $2/cft.

I am looking for used Faber LP 85s that have expired Hydro and have been sitting in a garage for years, not new.

The instr. I intend to use is Basic and Adv, Trimix certified. My plan at the moment is to get the following certs in the FL. keys, AN/DP/Helitrox (since I am being limited to how many classes they will give me in one trip), next trip Extended Range/Basic Trimix and then when John Chatterton returns to the U.S. in 2023 go to him for Adv. Wreck combo Adv. Trimix. Hopefully, this satisifies my mid life crisis :acclaim:

Weird, I did it again, I keep writing Nitrox instead of Trimix... :banghead:

Given that this thread is several months old and the OP was going to be making his trip "in a few days", it would be interesting to have them follow up and give a recap of how the trip went.

Hoag, I agree. I always enjoy reading dive reviews of military wrecks.
Standing by...

It used to be 20%. It was enough to calm the narc at 150' and get your END back to up to 110 ish.
They bumped it to 35% to bring the EADD down for rebreathers. It also gets your END back closer to 80'.
I rarely blend 21/35 for OC divers, it is a substantial cost for narcosis management.
25/20 is very common here in the lakes for ANDP helitrox divers..

Why offer AN/DP at all? Why not just offer AN/He? Wouldn't it be safer?

There are a lot more AN/DP instructors than there are Trimix instructors. Some don’t need the He to combat the narc. A lot of of divers don’t want to pay for OC He costs, and will only do it on CCR, which further reduces the pool of divers who would do Helitrox.

I read here TDI tried to do away with extended range, which is “deep air,” but some instructors protested so they didn’t. Helium isn’t available some places.

I don't. It comes down to the instructor. I believe it to be safer and that is how I teach it. Helium isn't easily available everywhere. Coupled with local conditions, deep, cold, and dark, I prefer to add helium as needed. In warm clear water, my preferences change.
People that don't want it solely because air is cheaper aren't typically the students I am wanting to work with anyway.
Just because you are certified for helium doesn't mean you have to use it, you still have the same qualifications as normal ANDP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom