Oriskany recreational dive thermal protection this week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Speed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have never done any diving in the Gulf. I will be diving the Oriskany wet next weekend. Single tank. No planned deco. I have a choice of.... 7 mil Farmer John or 2.5 mil shorty or mix and match. Or (worst choice) buy new gear.

Any thoughts?

Any jellyfish herds?

Water temp is 82-84 on the surface. Slightly cooler at depth, but not 7 mil by any stretch. Most folks are diving skin, 0.5 mil or 3 mil at most. Some are in shorts and a rash guard. You do want to cover up, as there are some jellies in the water, but temps are warm. Bring a bar of soap. Mix and match the 2.5 shorty with a skin, unless you are extremely cold natured. Just my $0.02. Capt. Jim. Dr Dive.

Was with a guy last summer who wore jeans and a t shirt while diving in the gulf. I wear a bathing suit and rash guard and am good for a 50 minute dive or so to 75-85 feet. I agree that you will be way to hot in your 7mm.

OK. Cool. The shorty and a skin is a winner for me. Although the jeans and t-shirt has some appeal... :wink:

Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

Water temp is 82-84 on the surface. Slightly cooler at depth, but not 7 mil by any stretch. Most folks are diving skin, 0.5 mil or 3 mil at most. Some are in shorts and a rash guard. You do want to cover up, as there are some jellies in the water, but temps are warm. Bring a bar of soap. Mix and match the 2.5 shorty with a skin, unless you are extremely cold natured. Just my $0.02. Capt. Jim. Dr Dive.

What is the vis expected to be over the next week or so?

What is the vis expected to be over the next week or so?

Somewhere between 0 and unlimited. :D

Seriously, you can't predict what the viz will be in the Gulf. Latest report I have from the area is 30ish feet, but tomorrow is anyone's guess.

The good news is that Whale Sharks and Mantas have been encountered in that neck of the woods over the last week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom