Orientation of Environmental Seal on Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I'm the new guy. Does it make any difference if the environmental seal on a regulator if facing up (toward head) or down (toward butt) when mounted on a tank?
ETA: DIN reg with turret.

Reactions: OTF
Sorry, I didn't see that there was a similar post here:

But I'd still like to hear if have anything to add. Thank you!

@Litefoot
What brand/model is your 1st stage?
Some regulator can accommodate a 5th port! How about your?
Some diver would add an swivel at the LP port so the long hose goes straight down. How about your?
If you have none of those then the turret should be at the top so the hoses can move a bit.
There are many ways to skin a cat.

@Litefoot
What brand/model is your 1st stage?
Some regulator can accommodate a 5th port! How about your?
Some diver would add an swivel at the LP port so the long hose goes straight down. How about your?
If you have none of those then the turret should be at the top so the hoses can move a bit.
There are many ways to skin a cat.
Deep Six Signature. Yes, it has the 5th port and I am using long hose.

Which LP port should the long hose attach to? Either on the turret or the 5th port.
There isn't that much permutation to worry about. Just try all the available LP ports and you should be able to come up with a solution.

I always used the 5th port for the long hose when setting up a reg and have the enviroseal pointed up. If you point the 5th port up there's really no benefit in having one. Pointing the 5th port down and running the long hose from it makes for nice clean routing down along the plate and no big loops sticking out.

I changed the name of the thread so I didn't start a new one covering the same stuff. My first dive after certification was this past Friday at the Homestead Crater in Midway, UT. It's a 62' deep warm spring. I was using new gear (Deep6 Signature DIR reg set and Sub-gravity BP/W). Here's what I found:

-My shoulder straps were too tight. I think they can be loosened.
-SPG HP hose seems a bit short and the D-ring on my left hip was too far back making it hard to access. I may put an angle out of the HP port to give the SPG hose a bit more length
-Bungee cord reg necklace I made is too thin and very uncomfortable and digs into neck.
-Reg on necklace had a serious free flow when I hit the water on giant stride. Need to close off venturi until I hit the water.
-Weighting was not too bad, but trim needs to be moved to upper back plate. I'm too bottom heavy.
-It was a dark environment. Glad I had a light. Glad I had the Peregrine. So easy to see and much needed since I had no reference to gauge depth other then the computer. Didn't realize that the SPG dial is luminescent and I could have charged it up with the light instead of blinding myself trying to read it with the light.
-The first stage orientation issue already mentioned.
-I'm going to (or already have) fixed some of this stuff. I'm excited to get equipment stuff sorted out so I can work on skills...especially buoyancy.

That's it. Feel free to chime in, heckle, newbie-shame.

I changed the name of the thread so I didn't start a new one covering the same stuff. My first dive after certification was this past Friday at the Homestead Crater in Midway, UT. It's a 62' deep warm spring. I was using new gear (Deep6 Signature DIR reg set and Sub-gravity BP/W). Here's what I found:

-My shoulder straps were too tight. I think they can be loosened.
-SPG HP hose seems a bit short and the D-ring on my left hip was too far back making it hard to access. I may put an angle out of the HP port to give the SPG hose a bit more length
-Bungee cord reg necklace I made is too thin and very uncomfortable and digs into neck.
-Reg on necklace had a serious free flow when I hit the water on giant stride. Need to close off venturi until I hit the water.
-Weighting was not too bad, but trim needs to be moved to upper back plate. I'm too bottom heavy.
-It was a dark environment. Glad I had a light. Glad I had the Peregrine. So easy to see and much needed since I had no reference to gauge depth other then the computer. Didn't realize that the SPG dial is luminescent and I could have charged it up with the light instead of blinding myself trying to read it with the light.
-The first stage orientation issue already mentioned.
-I'm going to (or already have) fixed some of this stuff. I'm excited to get equipment stuff sorted out so I can work on skills...especially buoyancy.

That's it. Feel free to chime in, heckle, newbie-shame.
I believe the shoulder straps on that system can be easily adjusted in use .

move the hip D ring forward

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom