Order of bolt snaps on right shoulder ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fins:
???

I've been taught (by a GUE instructor) that the backup light snap should face in and all others should face out. This is done so that in the event of a primary light failure (and a zero vis situation) that you can find your backup light by feel. If all snaps are facing the same direction how do you know which is your backup light?
Hi Mark,
The actual reason for my recommendation was that it made life a bit simpler during a gas switch. When the primary 2nd stage, the primary light, and the back up light clips are all on the same d-ring, it can get a bit crowded. I have accidentily unclipped my backup light or my primary light instead of that primary reg when I was switching from a stage to back gas. Not a big deal, but annoying after I did it a few times. So I have just made it a habit to turn the backup light clips in and the others out, I also clip my primary 2nd stage to the "outside" of the backup light and my primary light clip is on the "inside" of the backup light clip. Is this by any means something that is "DIR"? I doubt it. Has it eliminated this small/non issue? Yes. It really isn't that big of a deal and please do not construe any of this as some kind of "DIR" method. When it comes to this area of clipping boltsnaps, if it works for you...more power to you.
I know all the instructors I have been "taught by" or "teach with" say the same thing in that there is no "DIR" clipping methodology. Whatever works for you is fine. But I do feel that students are paying the instructor not only to teach them the "book" material, but also for their experience. When I took my first cave course (as well as my 1st scuba trimix course), in regard to gear config. and choice, the instructors (different instructors) each told me to "do whatever works for you"...well I could've stayed at home and did that. I mean, I was paying to learn the how and why behind this stuff. I don't really believe that I should have to pay someone to tell me to "do whatever works for you". I was looking for techniques and protocol and the reasons behind them. So when students ask questions regarding aspects of diving that actually do fall under the "do what works for you" answers, I prefer to also add that "I do such and such....and the reasons I do it this way are because..."
Finding the backup light clip by feel for the lights out was related to the same points I made when I was speaking about finding the primary during the gas switch. Of course in the event of a primary light failure, our protocol is to keep the light clipped to the d-ring, turn it on, then unclip (if necessary)...again, not a big deal, especially in this scenario.
I hope that clears this up a bit, Mark. As always, don't ever hesitate to get in touch w/me if questions arise or something is vague or doesn't make sense....I am very happy to continue your brainwashing and assymilation to the dark side....next week is "sleep deprivation week"...are you in? In the past, this has been the point where we really reel 'em in to DIR...we also show diving movies w/subliminal "Halcyon" and "GUE" messages added that really put you over the edge...once you're in there's no turning back!! (for those w/o a sense of humor...I'm only kidding...:)...)

dive safe!---brando

BCS:
So I have just made it a habit to turn the backup light clips in and the others out, I also clip my primary 2nd stage to the "outside" of the backup light and my primary light clip is on the "inside" of the backup light clip. Is this by any means something that is "DIR"? I doubt it. Has it eliminated this small/non issue? Yes.

People will find they eventually get themselves into a rhythm as they get more experience doing the same things over and over again [a good example is pre-dive gear setup and checks]. Likewise, you'll start to be clipping things in the same place every time. I'd have to check when I get out of the water, but I'm pretty sure I end up with my light on the outside, my reg on the inside; but with all things that are habitual, you don't often know how it ends up, you just subconsiously 'know' where it is.

Spectre:
People will find they eventually get themselves into a rhythm as they get more experience doing the same things over and over again [a good example is pre-dive gear setup and checks]. Likewise, you'll start to be clipping things in the same place every time. I'd have to check when I get out of the water, but I'm pretty sure I end up with my light on the outside, my reg on the inside; but with all things that are habitual, you don't often know how it ends up, you just subconsiously 'know' where it is.
Exactly! Great point Jeff.
As I teach more & more folks, I find that they have these types of extremely specific questions that don't really have a "right way wrong way " answer, and they are valid questions. I just like to have something to give them that'll at least get them thinking along the lines of building habits that a) aren't going to require unlearning and relearning something new later in their diving career...b) do have some basis in logic for recommending one way vs. another....and c) are able to be used in all of one's diving (i.e.cave, ocean, wreck, etc...).

dive safe!~b.

BCS:
I am very happy to continue your brainwashing and assymilation to the dark side....next week is "sleep deprivation week"...are you in? In the past, this has been the point where we really reel 'em in to DIR...we also show diving movies w/subliminal "Halcyon" and "GUE" messages added that really put you over the edge...once you're in there's no turning back!! (for those w/o a sense of humor...I'm only kidding...:)...)

dive safe!---brando

LOL - boy do I feel cheated. You never offered that to our class. Brando - when are you coming out to Seattle again?

BCS:
Exactly! Great point Jeff.
As I teach more & more folks, I find that they have these types of extremely specific questions that don't really have a "right way wrong way " answer, and they are valid questions. I just like to have something to give them that'll at least get them thinking along the lines of building habits that a) aren't going to require unlearning and relearning something new later in their diving career...b) do have some basis in logic for recommending one way vs. another....and c) are able to be used in all of one's diving (i.e.cave, ocean, wreck, etc...).

dive safe!~b.

This approach is a good thing ...

... where it gets turned around is when this type of information gets interpreted as a "rule" and leads to vigorous internet discussion about whether or not something that is essentially trivial is "DIR".

The operative word is "thinking" ... and the operative concept is that a diver should be able to explain why they are doing something a particular way.

Sometimes people get so focused on the trees that they fail to appreciate the significance of the forest.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The one clipping scenario that's not been covered is the gearing up one. I personally clip my light head to my Xterra's back hatch hydraulic arm first, then my primary regulator. That way, once in my rig I can route the hose first, and while the primary reg is still in my mouth I can clip and stop the light head and cable. I then clip off my primary, and go get in the water.

Yea, this is a poke at this thread... but it is really what I do. :)

Jimmie

kalvyn:
The one clipping scenario that's not been covered is the gearing up one. I personally clip my light head to my Xterra's back hatch hydraulic arm first, then my primary regulator. That way, once in my rig I can route the hose first, and while the primary reg is still in my mouth I can clip and stop the light head and cable. I then clip off my primary, and go get in the water.

Jimmie

LOL - you're doing it wrong!

You should clip the reg to the hatch arm first, then the light head ... that way you can transfer them to the D-ring in the order in which they'll be deployed.

:eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

kalvyn:

Jimmie
just don't go heading off to the water w/o unclipping from your hatch hydraulic arm!!! :11:... :wink:

I hope all you guys have been doing well!!
Don't have any idea when I'll be coming back....things here at home are crazy.
What is the diving like in December?

b.

BCS:
just don't go heading off to the water w/o unclipping from your hatch hydraulic arm!!! :11:... :wink:
LOL - it's been tried ... by both of us. In fact, yesterday ... one doesn't make it very far ... :11:

BCS:
What is the diving like in December?

b.
December's great for diving here ... vis is typically much better once the water cools off a bit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

kalvyn:

Jimmie

All well and good, but do you clip facing out or facing in?
:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom