Order of bolt snaps on right shoulder ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimC:
All snaps should face in so you don't catch them on lines.

???

I've been taught (by a GUE instructor) that the backup light snap should face in and all others should face out. This is done so that in the event of a primary light failure (and a zero vis situation) that you can find your backup light by feel. If all snaps are facing the same direction how do you know which is your backup light?

fins:
If all snaps are facing the same direction how do you know which is your backup light?

"Hmm...what's that attached to, oh, that's my primary light. What's that? Oh, that's my primary regulator. What's that? Oh, that's my stage clip."

You can easily tell by feel even with thick gloves. Regulators and primary lights feel quite a bit different from a little scout backup.

fins:
???

I've been taught (by a GUE instructor) that the backup light snap should face in and all others should face out. This is done so that in the event of a primary light failure (and a zero vis situation) that you can find your backup light by feel. If all snaps are facing the same direction how do you know which is your backup light?

Another point to think about...

I mean, if you are using it as a true *backup* light , you are going to pull it from the bungee/inner tube, turn it on *first*. If you can't find the snap then, there are some serious problems.

fins:
??? If all snaps are facing the same direction how do you know which is your backup light?

By moving down the snap about an inch or so.

Being able to snap and unsnap comfortably and efficiently (as in not losing depth while you fiddle around) is much more important than innie or outtie. Plus, how fast do I need to honestly deploy my back up light?

I mean, if its a half-a-zillionth of a second versus a zillionth of a second, I'll just yank it from the innertube and point it while still cllpped... I'm turning it on while still clipped so what's the diff?

That said, I like the idea of the light facing in - but only if I can actually unclip the thing. Which I probably can't... I dunno. Gotta give it a try. To Snow's point, never paid THAT much attention to it. I'm one of those single tank open water DIR types that is, you know, enjoying the dive.

K

I think this falls into the category of some other really important considerations, like ...

- the correct length of cave line to use when securing a bolt snap to a light head, or
- the correct knot to use to secure the cave line to said bolt snap, or
- the correct bend angle (or not) of your D-rings, or
- the correct thickness of O-ring to use when tying a breakaway knot, or
- the correct thickness of bungee to use to make a necklace, or ...

... somehow I can't believe that DIR was ever meant to be quite that rigid ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I think this falls into the category of some other really important considerations, like ...

- the correct length of cave line to use when securing a bolt snap to a light head, or

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I should have known better than to ask :eyebrow:

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,
You left one out: - the correct color of zip ties to use.
Oh excuse me, thats now DIUP (Do it Uncle Pug)
:wink:

jonnythan:
Funny you mention that.. I find it much easier to snap things with the snap facing in.

As for the backup light, I have something else on my left shoulder D-ring, and I'm pretty comfortable with my one backup on the right. If I get into serious diving I'll have one on each side anyway so I might as well get used to it.

Thanks for the info though.

Come on what do you keep clipped off to your left D ring?

FYI, for the last few months I kept my B/U clipped off to my right shoulder. When I put new webbing on recently I switched it over the to the left. Honestly don't know if it's better or worse. I know where it is and I'm sure my buddies can find it. I personally prefer to go clip in, but I don't think it matters.

For what ever it's worth Brando taught us to clip out. I don't think it matters though. In zero vis. I'll be using my fingers to figure out where my buddies light is. The only other time that I'll be messing with clipping off my buddies light or primary will be in a rescue situation and then that will be the least of my concerns.

Go forth and dive.

I much prefer clipping in and find it's easier for me to do, so I have no reason to switch to clipping out.

I have my Sensus Pro (little black box) velcroed to the left shoulder D-ring. And to be honest.. having a backup light on the left but not right shoulder would feel weird to me :wink:

You would turn the backup light on before fully deploying it. Don't unclip it before it's on.

fins:
???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom