Orange BCD!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just for some more info:

This is the BC I was talking about in my size question: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=190337

I returned the L/XL and am waiting on the M/L. I talked to Joe and had no problem returning it. I paid shipping to ST - I'm not sure if they pay shipping back to me or not. Haven't gotten the new one yet - I'll report on it when I receive it.

I'm 6'4" and about 210. The straps were cinched down with only an inch or so of extra tightening left. This left long dangly strap ends floating around - I didn't much care for that. It was plenty long - the bottom reached down to an inch or so above my hip points on the L/XL, so there was some room for me to go to a smaller size even if it was a bit shorter. As a point of comparison, a buddy's XL Aeris Atmos has about the same fit strap-wise, but is a couple of inches shorter, coming to right about my waste.

It's really comfortable. It is, as others have said, more of a burnt orange. If you'd ever seen the rest of my gear, you'd know that having an orange BC doesn't bother me. I look like a giant radioactive Easter Bunny when I'm kitted up, but nobody will ever steal my stuff.

Also - someone said that you can replace the bladder if you get a hole in it. That's true, but you don't need to. You can patch it with any bicycle tire repair kit and be diving again as soon as the glue dries.

Yes, the 10% ScubaBoard discount is in effect for this BC.

Anyway, like I said, I'll post more when I get the smaller size back and have had a chance to dive it. In a nutshell, so far I'd have to say it's an excellent BC for the price. I may buy my wife one as well.

Hope this helps,

David

Thanks a bunch! Great information..
I like the giant radioactive easter bunny picture..very nice..
10% off makes this thing only $225 - now thats a steal if you ask me!

I think a M/L would defintely work for me then.. im 6'3 185~lbs

ahh!
well I called my very knowledgable instructor and asked him about this brand and he wasnt too familiar..he said he has some brand new "Silhoette" BCD's he can get me for $150..going to see if I can find anything out about these..although I love orange - $100 cheaper would be nice if its of same quality

Im guesing this is it: http://lakenorforkscuba.com/equipment/gear37/

Any comments?

My brother bought one of the orange BC's from Scubatoys. His particular problem is he's a BIG guy. (6'3" and 300+..sorry bro)He had it narrowed down to 2 BC's this one and another. Scubatoys let him use both in their pool. He picked this one. We had a blast in St Maarten and Nassau. It definitely doesn't look orange underwater. I'll get him to chime in with more details.

Darth Fishhead:
If only ScubaToys could get a similar deal on a pink BC, my wife would be thrilled!

I agree - bring pink and/or purple back since we girls are in it to stay !! When I first started diving you could find pinks and purples, but then they just started fadin' away.

It's ok to be color-coordinated - at least as long as you can still see colors in the shallows and on the boat anyway...

The Silhoette mentioned above seems to be the standard "rental shop" bcd..Which isnt necessarily bad - but I think I might be better off paying $75 more and getting the orange BCD...

There was a time in the beginning of the sport when an item could and was associated with a company by color of the item.

The color orange was originally the color of items manufactured by a very upscale company called Sportsways which was established in 1958.

Voit had blue so US Diver chose yellow ie the "Great Yellow importer" and Scuba Pro when established in 1963 chose black and blue ie the choice of professional divers.

Sportsways produced the first workable PFV aka personal flotation vest in 1960s which became the standard of the diving community and the model for all other manufactures to emulate.

When they ceased operation in the 1970s, the color evidently ceased to be used or aquired by the other manufactures, except fot a few isolated items (Scuba Pro stab jacket etc.)

Purchase the Orange BC, You will be happy with the color choice..

sdm

Thanks for the info! Very interesting..I think I will be going with the orange one..Will know for sure later tonight!

NitroWill:
ahh!
well I called my very knowledgable instructor and asked him about this brand and he wasnt too familiar..he said he has some brand new "Silhoette" BCD's he can get me for $150..going to see if I can find anything out about these..although I love orange - $100 cheaper would be nice if its of same quality

Im guesing this is it: http://lakenorforkscuba.com/equipment/gear37/

Any comments?

Thats and awesome deal. I used a "Silhoette" BC for my Check Out Dives and I thought that it was great. I would buy one now if I can get that kind of deal. Let me know if your LDS can hook me up, too. :)

MichelleA:
Thats and awesome deal. I used a "Silhoette" BC for my Check Out Dives and I thought that it was great. I would buy one now if I can get that kind of deal. Let me know if your LDS can hook me up, too. :)

Really the silhouette is kind of a stock rental BC with no weight system, no trim weights, light weight material, 1 tank strap.... Not that anything is wrong with it - it is just a very basic BC. We don't sell too many of them as for that price or just slightly more you can get a very full featured BC.

Back
Top Bottom