Orange BCD!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

covediver:
A few years ago you could special order scubapro twin jets in orange. Don't know if they are still available.

That would be really neat, Ive had my SP TwinJets for years and years now, but they still are holding up just like new!

3 Days til my BCD arrives :D

OK, here's a question. I've read that sharks can see colors, particularly bright colors. Anyone concerned about being more obvious to sharks while in the water?

im new to diving and sharks but i have a orange bc and when i dove with sharks they did'ntpay me any more attention than the others.

Nah, I'd think the better your overall visibility, the safer you are, if anything. Sharks certainly aren't stupid enough to mistake us for their 'normal' prey. Only time I've ever heard of something checking out a diver with serious intent (barracuda suddenly put on the brakes right next to him) it was in semi-murky vis - I think it saw only his glove or watch reflection and thought it was striking at a really ineffectively swimming fish.

A lot of shark attacks on swimmers or fishermen are probably related to poor vis and similar 'mistaken identity' type factors (not divers mind you - usually we're far more visible). From below someone on a 'boogie board' silhouetted by the sun might look like a turtle, and a turtle hanging out on the surface is fair game. And I think there was a recent (in the last 3 years or so) shark attack on a guy fishing off a sandbar in about waist-high silty water in the panhandle...with a pocket full of bait shrimp. Its rational to think in that case the shark was targeting the 'taste' in the water but couldn't see what it was striking at until it was too close to stop (?)

Now BULL sharks might not like the wetsuits with integrated matador capes. :)

I started my diving life with a bright orange AT-PAC, which tells you how long ago that was! But the color was great. My buddy could always find me in the grungy SoCal water, even in the kelp, as long as I wasn't mistaken for a 200 lb Garibaldi!

(Btw, I just did a completely new cert course two months ago, as my youngest (17) wanted to learn to dive. So I'm a Born Again Diver! :) )

Great that's the stuff I wanted to hear about the shark question. Especially since I just bought the Orange BC in question.

BTW, great tag/avatar tep!

Hi …… I just got back from Keys diving with my Orange BC and had a blast. No problem at with buoyancy and with zippered weight pockets they are easy as cake to load as most of you will be aware captain normally asks you to not to add weight pocket until we reach the location.
Only thing is this BC is made from canvas like material and after fist dive it gets little heavy. Best advice is let it dry off completely when flying back or you will have couple added extra pounds of moisture.

Everytime I was on boat ppl asked me about my orange BC it was great conversation starter. Also on one of the Dive we surface little farther from boat and current was strong, but our captain was immediately tell it was us from my orange BC saving my buddy and my Dive Master……once captain picked us up and we were on boat, he told me how helpful and easy it was for him to locate us. J

Here is a little orange for you....

DSC25876.jpg

Back
Top Bottom