Optimal Back-Plate and Wing

Your choice?

• https://www.divers-supply.com/oms-iq-lite-performance-mono-kit-32lb.html

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • https://www.divers-supply.com/zeagle-backplate-combo-pack.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • https://www.diverightinscuba.com/total-buoyancy-control-system-package.html

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-custom-dgx-singles-harness-backplate-wing-package

Votes: 31 81.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could get behind that! But why have you swapped the harness and plate? I guess just personal preference. I also use a ffm, don't think there will be any problem with that and a bp/w right?

The one piece webbing makes for much quicker and easier adjustments. Ex. Shifting D-rings to another location. That and the more rigid one piece webbing makes it easier to get in and out of the kit. The previous softer/more flexible webbing had a tendency to rotate/flip and be more of a pain to don.

The plate...I started with a soft plate from the TBCS. Like I mentioned...with that...you have to add weight (several pounds) just to offset the padding of the plate. Going to a metal plate actually results in having to carry less weight. ~3lb lightweight steel plate vs. having to carry I think it was ~6lbs just to offset the soft plate.

You can use a FFM with whatever BC or BP/W you want.

That’s the whole point of a BP/W. It’s a minimalist design that is focused on function.

Putting stuff that you don’t need on a BP/W takes away from or alters the function. ex. The HOG Total Buoyancy Control System. You have to add more weight than you would for a standard BP/W just to counter all of the buoyant padding that makes it look more palatable to someone that does not find a typical/minimalist BP/W appealing to look at.

This is coming from someone that started out with a HOG TBCS because he thought that it looked “better” than a standard BP/W.

I gradually started stripping padding off that thing, because...as I said above...it is completely unnecessary and adds no functional improvement/benefit over a standard BP/W. What was I eventually left with? A “minimalist” BP/W.

Just saying...if you want the functionality of a BP/W, take your time making a decision on which one to purchase. If you see one and it looks “nice,” keep in mind that means that you’ll have to stuff more weight in your pockets just to submerge the rig.

Recommendations? HOG, Dive Rite, DGX, Deep 6, or Halcyon, if you have money to burn.

Current setup below. HOG wing (the only thing left from my original TBCS), Dive Rite plate and webbing, and Apex 3lb trim pouches (I don’t need much weight).

View attachment 620137

How do you read the "Vindicator" k-nob when you're diving?

This is coming from someone that started out with a HOG TBCS because he thought that it looked “better” than a standard BP/W.

I gradually started stripping padding off that thing, because...as I said above...it is completely unnecessary and adds no functional improvement/benefit over a standard BP/W. What was I eventually left with? A “minimalist” BP/W.
Same here. Except I started with the DSS "Pro-Fit" harness. Much happier now with standard webbing and 4 D-rings. Note trim pockets for weights. I also have the bolt on DSS steel plates for cold water.

IMG_20201025_155539168_HDR~2.jpg

How do you read the "Vindicator" k-nob when you're diving?

How do I reach it? With my hand.:popcorn:

That tank is a loaner and part of a side mount pair. I end up diving that one after I dive the one with the right side valve. Yes, not optimum...but it works. Especially if you’re OCD about checking that you have the valve fully opening prior to jumping in.

How do I reach it? With my hand.:popcorn:
Especially if you’re OCD about checking that you have the valve fully opening prior to jumping in.

Sounds like you have no use at all for a clunky "Vindicator" knob.....funny popcorn dude.

Sounds like you have no use at all for a clunky "Vindicator" knob.....funny popcorn dude.

The only use I see for a vindicator knobs is a scenario where a bystander (ex. DM or “helpful” buddy) will see “green” and leave the knob alone.

If I was diving off a boat with Insta-buddies on a regular basis, I’d want one for that reason.

Does your son have one so you can tell if the valve is open?

I ask because I have a used-once one in the basement you can have free, if you want, for your son.

Does your son have one so you can tell if the valve is open?

I ask because I have used-once one in the basement you can have free, if you want, for your son.

Thank you very much for the offer. I’m covered for now.:cheers:

FYI...if you end up listing them...those knobs are tank make and model specific. When I sold a pair of AL80’s a while back, I just let the uninstalled pair of Vindicator knobs I had on-hand go with the tanks, as I wasn’t going to be able to use that pair of knobs on a steel tank. Thanks again.

I recently posted a thread where I discussed back inflates v.s. bp/w. I have come to a conclusion that bp/w may be the right way to go, but theres an issue. ALL the units that i have found are either way to expensive, to minimalist(in my opinion), or just not my style. I am looking for some RECOMMENDATIONS.
Please fill this thread with your bp/w's

way 2 expensive..... buy one and we can chat 20 years from now about how u r still using the same rig
minimalist...... no such thing KISS principle
a backplates a backplate, although I'd strongly recommend a G.U.T.S. it will outlive u, just happen to be on sale in another post
wing I'd go halcyon, you get what u pay for

Thank you very much for the offer. I’m covered for now.:cheers:

FYI...if you end up listing them...those knobs are tank make and model specific. .

I'm presuming you meant "valve specific".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom