Optimal Back-Plate and Wing

Your choice?

• https://www.divers-supply.com/oms-iq-lite-performance-mono-kit-32lb.html

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • https://www.divers-supply.com/zeagle-backplate-combo-pack.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • https://www.diverightinscuba.com/total-buoyancy-control-system-package.html

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-custom-dgx-singles-harness-backplate-wing-package

Votes: 31 81.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backplate - Most backplates are pretty similar, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over finding one. I personally am using a variety of Light Monkey backplates, depending on application (OW single tank, CCR, doubles). Be wary of burrs in some AL plates, they will rip through webbing.

Harness / Webbing - I'm slowly replacing all of my webbing with Halcyon branded webbing. It's strictly a case of form and function - whenever I need to replace webbing, I can simply count the H's on each shoulder strap and note where the various points are for d-rings (d-rings, top of fourth H), etc. It's so much quicker than pulling out cloth tape measures, I can re-web a harness and have it pretty much fit right out of the gate in ~5-10 minutes with the Halcyon webbing. Plus, I believe MSRP on the halcyon webbing is about what you can expect to pay for any other harness kit so it doesn't cost anymore than a $1 upcharge to have a more efficient system.

D-Rings - five. Two on the crotch strap (one up front for scooter, one in back for accessories), one on the left waist, one on each shoulder. You don't need any more than that, trust me, I've done dives with ~5+ stage bottles using this rig. And PLEASE bend those shoulder d-rings.

Wings - I'm pretty picky here and I do not believe "cheaper is better" here. A few years back I had a cave student that went out and bought a wing that was on closeout -- in his mind, cheaper was better (he was a college student). Turned out there was a reason the manufacturer quit selling the wing -- poorly designed shape with a lot of air at the top of the cell, which pretty much guaranteed he'd be out of trim most of the time. Over the past few years I've slowly moved to the Halcyon Evolve wings, I also *love* the old Dive Rite Classic "Retro Wing" Horseshoe. The Halcyon's are expensive, I recently bought a new custom colored 60# wing and paid significantly more for it than I would have paid at full retail for the DR wing, but it is really worth it. The X-Deep wings look pretty good too, but I haven't dove one yet.

A key thing in wings is matching the wings for the cylinders. A 40# wing will NOT work well with a set of double 104s/108s, and a 60# wing will not work well for a set of AL80s. I have different clothes depending on the weather outside, sometimes I need a sweater and jeans, sometimes I need a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. Treat the wing the same way -- match it for the dive you're doing and the gear you're rocking.

Tech divers typically have a ~5 year life-cycle. Alex is pretty sharp in that if you keep your ear to the ground, you can sometimes find good deals used. Facebook marketplace seems to be a good place.

Are they some of the best BCD manufacturers?
I mean every manufacturer has there own special touch, for me Zeagle stands out, along with ScubaPro, Apeks, Hollis, Atomic. Most people would take the Scubapro MK25 over the standard Mares right? But i have used the Mares Navy Abyss and it is probably one of the best iv'e ever seen.

I mean every manufacturer has there own special touch, for me Zeagle stands out, along with ScubaPro, Apeks, Hollis, Atomic. Most people would take the Scubapro MK25 over the standard Mares right? But i have used the Mares Navy Abyss and it is probably one of the best iv'e ever seen.

Scubapro mk25 is amazing, but scubapro trilaminate dry suits... well, ehm... also, I haven't tried scubapro wings, but frankly speaking I wouldn't invest my money on it.

If you are looking for quality, you shouldn't look at the brand, you should look at the product.

Scubapro mk25 is amazing, but scubapro trilaminate dry suits... well, ehm... also, I haven't tried scubapro wings, but frankly speaking I wouldn't invest my money on it.

If you are looking for quality, you shouldn't look at the brand, you should look at the product.
Have you heard anything bad about the Zeagle backplate combo? Would and if it be something you'd consider, or not?

A Mares Abyss is the only reg I will dive with.

Have you heard anything bad about the Zeagle backplate combo? Would and if it be something you'd consider, or not?

I have come to a conclusion that bp/w may be the right way to go, but theres an issue.

@Tyler Goetz - To be candid, your options and decisionmaking rubric tell me you still have a bit of research left in front of you and it sounds like you’re looking for validation of some narrow options you’ve already picked out.

You may be still looking at BP/W options through the lens of a recreational diver and that’s not an unreasonable position to be in. But to make a better informed decision, you might consider stepping away from your pre-conceived perspective that formed your limited list and open up the panorama of options a bit more. Maybe a better question to ask would have been, “I’m interested in buying a BP/W...what are my options and what brands do you recommend?”.

BTW, I’ve owned Zeagle products and they’re fine but I wouldn’t argue that they’re one of the best. I understand brand loyalty but there are tons of great alternatives out there. When I was switching from a back inflate to a BP/W, that Zeagle BP/W fell off the list because BP/Ws aren’t really Zeagle’s forté and I didn’t find many people diving it.

Since you live in Ft Lauderdale, I recommend you go to Aquí Watersports in LBTS and have a conversation with Landon Lasseter or Ryan Custureri (or any of the instructors they have on staff) to help guide you. To be clear, they sell xDeep and Deep 6 Gear rigs. If for some reason you don’t think those brands have the right amount of cowbell, you will still have advanced your perspective by talking with them.

Lastly, it sounds like a lack of awareness about Dive Gear Express is what’s keeping them from measuring up to your idea of reputable. The folks at DGX have been absolutely stellar for me halfway around the world and in person for too many reasons to list here. They do their homework and I buy products from them with great confidence. They are very responsive with their chat system. Their global shipping options on tap are superb.

Also, I think you would be well-served to pay close attention to @kensuf ’s advice. I find his contributions here in the SB virtual community to be durable and entirely useful. I think reviewing his posts will “fast forward” your learning if you truly intend to become a technical diver.

Hi! Zeagle is not common in my diving circle, I have never seen one. Looking at the pictures, I am a bit skeptical honestly... but I have never dived one, so I can't say for sure.

If I were you, I would carefully read @kensuf and @NothingClever advices.

Also, I would look for an instructor who can rent you some equipment and I would try it before purchasing it (although I understand this isn't always possible)

I recently posted a thread where I discussed back inflates v.s. bp/w. I have come to a conclusion that bp/w may be the right way to go, but theres an issue. ALL the units that i have found are either way to expensive, to minimalist(in my opinion), or just not my style. I am looking for some RECOMMENDATIONS.
Please fill this thread with your bp/w's

That’s the whole point of a BP/W. It’s a minimalist design that is focused on function.

Putting stuff that you don’t need on a BP/W takes away from or alters the function. ex. The HOG Total Buoyancy Control System. You have to add more weight than you would for a standard BP/W just to counter all of the buoyant padding that makes it look more palatable to someone that does not find a typical/minimalist BP/W appealing to look at.

This is coming from someone that started out with a HOG TBCS because he thought that it looked “better” than a standard BP/W.

I gradually started stripping padding off that thing, because...as I said above...it is completely unnecessary and adds no functional improvement/benefit over a standard BP/W. What was I eventually left with? A “minimalist” BP/W.

Just saying...if you want the functionality of a BP/W, take your time making a decision on which one to purchase. If you see one and it looks “nice,” keep in mind that means that you’ll have to stuff more weight in your pockets just to submerge the rig.

Recommendations? HOG, Dive Rite, DGX, Deep 6, or Halcyon, if you have money to burn.

Current setup below. HOG wing (the only thing left from my original TBCS), Dive Rite plate and webbing, and Apex 3lb trim pouches (I don’t need much weight).

89888E56-02A5-414A-96CF-989644EEACAD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom