Opinions on this gear setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have to agree that you should go alittle more on Regs. It is your life line. No air, you have a problem. I'd go with the Aqua Lung Legend or Atomic B2.
High proformance at a good price.
As for the computer. Go for one that is hard conected. Fancy wireless may look cool, but it is just another weak link in your set up. Another thing that can go wrong. I like the Ocianic Pro Plus II [with out quick disconect, another weak link] it has the largest screen and numbers so it is easy to read.
Alway look for what is the best function with little that can go wrong. AIR IS NUMBER 1.

violakat03

I'm not an Oceanic person but I will suggest that you heed the advice given and go top shelf in terms of cold water capability. Where you live the fresh water gets very cold well before any sort of extreme depth. To safely enjoy some of the quarry dives you will be working up to, let alone winter diving knowing that you are good to go for cold water will be good peace of mind and safety.

I'll also echo that if you need to conserve some cash ease up in the integration. IMO wireless is high on the gadget factor and all of the integration you need is between your ears. Get a solid nitrox computer and stick it in a wrist strap as you prefer. That's my 2 cents.

The money you save on the computer will a good start on a drysuit or cold water neoprene.

Pete

I'm shopping on a budget and have been poking around on several online stores for what I'm looking for. I need a regulator and a computer to fill out my personal gear collection.

What I have:
SeaQuest Libra BC with AirSource II alternate air
mask fins snorkel wetsuit etc.

What I'm looking at:
Oceanic Alpha 8 DVT regulator ($399 at LDS)
Oceanic Atom 1.0 computer with transmitter ($549.95 at LP)

I'm looking for where else I can buy the computer online but so far haven't found it anywhere else.

I'm very open to suggestions for other gear in the same price range. For a computer, I want a wrist computer with wireless air/Nitrox integration. The Atom 1.0 is so far the only one I've found that isn't $1k once you add in the transmitter.

You do not need a wireless computer. You don't even need an integrated computer. Those two features are a waste of several hundred dollars. You just need something that sits on your wrist and tells you this:

Current depth
Max depth during the dive
Current dive time
Remaining NDL dive time

A computer like this should only cost around $400 new, even with nitrox.

You don't even need nitrox on your computer, however, because if you dive EAN32 etc and use an air computer, then you will be quite safe. Just make sure you don't dive deeper than you were taught (130 fsw).

I'll definitely look at the regulators mentioned. I'm not intending to do super-cold diving (yet, at least) nor am I staying in Ohio my entire life (I go to school here, then I'm moving south!) but it's better to be safe than sorry.

One of the reasons I want air integrated is because my dive buddies have two different computers - one AI and one not. The one that doesn't have AI laments about how she wishes she'd spent the extra on AI. I don't want to have a lot of regrets about my purchases, especially when it's this sort of money. I like the wireless idea because it's one less thing to snag on stuff while under water. I've got my alternate air on my BC so if I did wireless AI, I'd be pretty streamlined. However, it's not completely necessary to be wireless, especially if I can save some bucks and still get all the features I want.

I have to agree with a few others on here.... FDX10/Delta 4 is a great way to go! I love it its ease of breathing, especially in cold water. Good luck with your choice!

Since you're located in Snowy Ohio, I would suggest you skip the Alpha 8 and look at the GT3. It's less than the Delta 4, every bit as reliable in cold water (I own 2 of them up here on the north side of Lake Erie) and they will perform a little bit better than the Alpha 8. I just don't consider the Alpha 8 to be a good cold water reg, unless it's paired with the CDX5 first stage, at which point you might as well get the GT3.

Jim

Is this the one you're talking about?

Oceanic GT 3 DVT Regulator, Regulators, Oceanic, Oceanic GT 3 DVT Regulator

Cause .. that's a price I just can't ignore!

I know I have a lot of stupid questions, but as is obvious by my signature, I'm new at this!

I don't want to buy a used reg because of the parts warranty, but what about a used computer? Is there any type of annual or regular service that should be performed where I might see additional cost on one without a warranty? Because I'm looking through the classifieds and could get a decent air integrated console-style computer for under $300, which is the cheapest I could find a non-AI computer with backlight on ScubaToys.

I can upgrade later when I've got money and know more what I want, but I really hate the idea of having to rent any more of my gear the next time I dive. It was so simple to be able to just carry all my gear where I needed to go and only pay for tank fills, when we were in FL for our checkouts (rental gear was included in the trip price, we just had to transport it from OH), so I got spoiled on using my 'own' gear and don't want to rent.

Thanks to everyone for the invaluable advice I've gotten here. You've saved me a lot of heartache and a lot of money, for sure!!

My brother just got an Delta4/FDX10 with an Oceanic VT3 AI wireless computer. My dad dives with a Delta4/FDX10 too and an Oceanic Atom 2.0. They both love the AI wireless wrist mounted style and love teasing me about my setup.

I have an Aqualung Legend LX ACD and a Suunto Cobra. I love my reg and I prefer having my computer attached to my kit. The Cobra is still AI but being on a hose it means I wont lose it on a dive :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom