Opinions on tankless water heaters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a tankless, and a tank heater. The tankless heater is good for a particular change in temperature at max flow, mine is good for up to an 80°F rise over incoming. Since I need at least 160°F in the mains for blending water to the handicapped bath to allow for realistic tub fill times I have the tank heater feeding it set to hold @ between 80 and 90°F. It rarely lights off between May and October.

If I was doing it again, (or when I can access the attic again) I would put a circulating pump in at the far end of the line, set to a timed cycle on a motion sensors located in ALL the bathrooms. That way when a bath is occupied the hot water is there, when it's not the pipes and heater can rest. The handicapped blending valve thing means my hot water lines are all 1", so the volume in them is significant. A circulating pump and line between the blender and the hot water pre-tank would save me about 4 to 6 gallons every time my mother-in-law needs to wash her hands. The water use isn't an issue as we are at the bottom end of the aquifer and anything we don't use bubbles up in FW seeps in the Gulf, but the sewage charges at 4X treated water rates are killing me.

The things I learned:
1. Burn outside air if gas fired.
2. Electric ones take multiple BIG feed wires. The one I had planned to use in my mother-in law's bath to avoid the blender took 3 independent 240V circuits of 2 ga wire. The copper and breakers to feed that thing at over 120' of run to the main panel would have cost about twice what the whole house tankless ran.
3. We put it central in the house when we rebuilt. Better to offset to the heaviest usage.
4. The tanked pre-heater set properly is not a high operating cost issue if properly insulated. If I can ever get a solar system installed it'll be run off the tank, with the tankless being make-up. As it is the tank is make-up.
5. Gas fired ones ARE NOT quiet. 45db is impressive at 0300, even if you can't notice it during the day. This is fine with me as it notifies me when my occasionally delusional mother-in-law is active in the middle of the night (Parkinson's meds are often a bit like weak brown acid), but needs to be remembered if dealing with a nursery on the other side of the wall.

Whatever happened to the thank you button??? Thanks Pete, DrBill, Cmburch and FredT.

I appreciate all the information and it certainly helps me make the decision easier. I do have a circulating pump in the utility room. This will (hopefully) amend water pressure issues. The utility room is isolated so there is no problems with noise. 45 db is pretty loud, but I don't anticipate too many folks taking showers, or doing laundry at odd hours. Just some divers and artists rousing about? :)

From everything I've read and the ease of solar addition- I think I'll be going tankless and leaning towards a reliable manf. like Rinnai, Takagi etc. Hearing about another Bosch not doing the job makes me wonder about QC. I do have a fancy Bosch dishwasher installed at the shack which I will never be using. QC on those was pretty dismal too. There's also a Jacuzzi installed which I will never be using.

Anyway, all of this is driven by my days at UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz and stints on Catalina where energy alternatives and conservation were norms. It's just a tad harder retrofitting, or adapting existing technology, or mindsets to a geographic location where oil, gas and wood stoves are the order of the day. However, I have several contractors lined up who might be able to install & advise on 'greener' devices. If anything, the cost of fossil fuels really demands a different way of looking at energy usage.

Cheers,

X

There are 2 temperature control methods on tankless heaters. Control one reads output temp and opens or closes the gas port/burners (or engages another heater coil if electric) if output is too cool. Flow is straight through without choking. The output temperature is what you get up to the max detla T rating of the unit. My Rheem units works that way. If you need higher temps at the desired flow rate, you add a second heat exchanger/burner set running off the same controller

Control two starts with both burner and flow at max, then shuts down flow to make output temp with available energy input.

Avoid control type 2 devices.

One more point to check on these things is the "gallon per minute" flow it can handle.

Some will only handle "one device" being used at a time. meaning one person can take a shower at at time, or one dishwasher running at a time, but not both.

I'm assuming that you want one that can have the flow capabilities of more than one hot water facet being on at a time. just something to check into.

As part of our plumbing company's daily operation, I counsel homeowners on the pros and cons of tank to tankless conversions. You can find us on the web at: Steve's Plumbing Residential Plumber Seattle Drain Cleaning Bellevue Shower Plumbing

Not all conventional storage water heater situations are suitable for tankless; Some are prohibitive. With your temperature rise requirements (40 F. incoming) I would not recommend an electric tankless. You should consider a 199,000 BTU tankless at the minimum, natural gas or propane fired.

First, confirm that your home's gas supply is adequate. The most common residential meter size is 250,000 BTU, and would need to be upgraded to support your new gas demands. Calculate your new gas demand by adding up the max BTU load of each fixture... oven, fireplace, BBQ, furnace, etc. To comply with code, your meter must be capable of handling all gas appliances firing at the same time.

Gas supply to the unit is crucial... an undersized gas line will not allow the unit to fire optimally, and is the most common installation error.

Next, scope out the area for venting options. Tankless vents must not be combined with standard furnace/water heater vents. Our local code prohibits venting within 10' of an openable window, due to carbon monoxide hazards. Venting procedures differ from one manufacturer to another, and outdoor mounted units may simplify the issue.

Finally, how long do you currently wait for hot water at the fixture farthest from the tank? Your wait time will increase by at least a few seconds. If your installer extends your water lines to simplify his/her installation, your wait time will be even longer. It doesn't make sense to me to waste one precious resource to conserve another... but there are ways to deal with this.

A common quirk of tankless water heaters is a symptom known as the "cold water sandwich". You're showering at a comfortable 105F when someone uses a faucet elsewhere in the home, momentarily altering the volume of water available to the tankless unit... and you get a refreshing splash of 60F water, followed by a return to 105F as the unit modulator recovers. Some units are better than others at dealing with these fluctuations. Quietside units have a built in modulator that will reduce volume rather than temperature... no cold water sandwich, just reduced flow.

We've found that customers are most satisfied when they don't have to deal with that particular quirk... spoiled Americans we are. We offer an installation option that includes a recirculating system and a 15 gallon electric storage tank, effectively eliminating two problems: excessive wait and water wastage, and the cold water sandwich. The small electric water heater buffers the minor termperature fluctuations
of the tankless unit, and the recirc line decreases wait times. When installed with a timer, this system is still much more energy efficient than a conventional storage system.

This is by no means the only type of system available to you. For other ideas, including a technical diagram of the system described above, go to RHEEM Tankless Water Heaters . Click on customer support, then on tech bullitens, then check out your options. The system above is under the heading, "Single unit with optional return circulating line".

All the best to you and your system of choice,

Steve

^ Now those are some informative posts! Where is that dang thank you button? Oh actually it makes sense, since this is the non diving stuff forum, on a diving website.

For what it is worth, I had an on-demand water heater installed. I like it. I got it for a number of reasons - first, my old water heater went out so it had to be replaced anyway. Second, with a family of five, we ran out of water a lot with a water heater tank. With on-demand, we never run out of hot water. Third, since hot water isn't used most of the day (mainly used in the morning and evening), we saved energy by not continually heating water in a tank all day long. I am glad I got it. Hope this info helps.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom