Opinions on DSAT TecRec courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least GUE and UTD teach to a maximum END of 100'. When the SHTF is where you get to see how smart you are while under the influences of narcosis. Just about anyone can function well drunk/stoned/narced when everything is going as planned. Helium is your ace in the hole when situations go sideways.

What activity could you possibly be doing for an END of 100' to even be a consideration?

What activity could you possibly be doing for an END of 100' to even be a consideration?

It's called diving for fun.

Sure, it lacks the cowboyism and drunkenness of what you might be used to (250' on air), but it does make the diving a lot more memorable and enjoyable.

Sure, it lacks the cowboyism and drunkenness of what you might be used to (250' on air), but it does make the diving a lot more memorable and enjoyable.

First of all I don't work doing what I do "drunk." People don't pay me $2000 a day to dive saturation without getting their money's worth; believe me.

Second, I agree with you that a lack of narcosis makes diving to 300' on Trimix 12 51 comfortable as far as narcosis is concerned. I hope you stay feeling comfortable when the SHTF.

Oh, and one word of advice; be sure that you never call a commercial diver a cowboy in a bar. :)

I think you lost me. I haven't done any END calculations.

Sorry, I got your post mixed up with Bill's (130' END).

Your short term maximum END is 250. Say if you're planning a dive to 300 feet. How far do you cut down on your END by adding helium? Do you cut it to 250? 230? All the way down to 130 like Bill? Or to some standard personal comfort level?

Is it dictated by the customer? (I could see a customer being unwilling to pay for He for a 100 foot END)
Or by OSHA?
Or is it up to you?

Oh, and one word of advice; be sure that you never call a commercial diver a cowboy in a bar. :)

word.gif

As I mentioned, I'm not aware of all recreational technical standards. It was my impression that trimix was primarily designed to be used to depths deeper than 130' by the tech agencies. Am I wrong in this assumption? I know we are talking primarily about DSAT, but are you suggesting that all agencies teaching to a maximum depth of 130', regardless of mixture? Sorry for my confusion.

No worries. My post was in response to "...for a recreational diver who wants it all and wants it right now, mixed gas allows him to go deep quickly. This can be expected in a Society based upon instant gratification."

I'm talking about dives in the ~160 foot range (those for which I choose to dive 21/35).

If I go with GUE, or UTD, or Naui (I think), they'll train me to use trimix (or "Heliair" or "Helitrox" or whatever they want to call it). If I go with Padi, they'll train me to use air. All courses have similar durations and depth restrictions.

Same depth, same amount of time, different gas selections.

No worries. My post was in response to "...for a recreational diver who wants it all and wants it right now, mixed gas allows him to go deep quickly. This can be expected in a Society based upon instant gratification."

I'm talking about dives in the ~160 foot range (those for which I choose to dive 21/35).

If I go with GUE, or UTD, or Naui (I think), they'll train me to use trimix (or "Heliair" or "Helitrox" or whatever they want to call it). If I go with Padi, they'll train me to use air. All courses have similar durations and depth restrictions.

Same depth, same amount of time, different gas selections.

Just out of curiosity - who did YOU get your technical training through?

TDI, IANTD and UTD.

In that order?

What interests me about a lot of this discussion is that it seems to be thinking of training with in one agency (or mindset) only.

I'm doing GUE Tech 1 in February - the choice was between a local TDI trimix instructor, or flying in a GUE instructor from overseas and they turned out to be the same cost overall, so I opted for Tech 1. I've done courses with both instructors before and both would teach a good trimix course - it's just that GUE is a bit more where my head is, so why not?

Realistically, though, I think I'll get more out of Tech 1 having done TDI Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures a few years ago - a breadth of ideas promotes the options for better discussion during the course.

The difference is that the commercial diver learns to use the safe envelope of air before thinking he needs mixed-gas. I'm sorry to say this, but if I used Trimix for a 130 foot dive I'd be laughed out of the profession. :)

There is quite a significant difference in safety margin between diving 200 feet on umbilical with communication to the surface and hard hat and diving 200 feet on scuba.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom