Opinions on DSAT TecRec courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although saturation projects do "reclaim" Helium in a closed-circuit gas system to increase safety (insure supply) and lower cost (imagine the cost of Helium for 6 divers at 1300' for 14 days and an addition of 14 days of decompression!)

Oi. I don't like paying for a half-hour's worth :p

move on into Trimix. This is why they have never developed a need to deal with narcosis and why it is such a danger to recreational divers today.

How do you feel narcosis is dangerous to recreational divers who are breathing helium (assuming enough to significantly reduce the narc)?

Sorry for the ramble... :)
haha no worries. I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but it was interesting regardless.

There is quite a significant difference in safety margin between diving 200 feet on umbilical with communication to the surface and hard hat and diving 200 feet on scuba.

Yes, the discussion surrounds SCUBA. No one has brought up surface supply.

How do you feel narcosis is dangerous to recreational divers who are breathing helium (assuming enough to significantly reduce the narc)?

I haven't said breathing helium is unsafe for recreational divers. What I said is that when Helium is unavailable, they may be more susceptible to narcosis than those divers who have gained experience with deep air.

There is always the issue of cost and temperature loss to deal with when breathing Helium. I'd be interested in hearing how divers who are diving in cold water to 300' deal with that one. :)

Lol...you commercial divers are a rough and tumble crowd! Black water, high current, burning piles at 170'+ on air...that's a tough way to make a living!

Yes it is, but it offers an alternative to growing-up. BTW, I've seen my share of commercial divers that are Cowboys. I just wouldn't call them that in a bar. LOL

I guess what it boils down to is levels of acceptable risk for the individual diver.

I totally agree. My point was that a person can gain experience and learn to deal with narcosis. If divers are using trimix, ok. If however, they dive without it because it's not available and they go deep, they have little or no experience with narcosis. That is what I see as the danger here.

Assuming two training programs to 150', deep air or trimix, I'd go with deep air.

The kid who rides with training wheels on his bicycle can pretend he's just like the other kids, but if they are taken off; he'll find how hard the road actually is. :)

There is always the issue of cost and temperature loss to deal with when breathing Helium. I'd be interested in hearing how divers who are diving in cold water to 300' deal with that one. :)

You are right...that is a big issue. I started using a 400gm thinsulate undergarment on those kind of dives and more argon in my suit...which has greatly helped. The funny thing is that it's not so much at depth where you get cold, but on some of the longer decos where you are just sitting there off-gassing in the shallower portions of you decompression where the water may be 65 degrees. For me, I also find that proper hydration and eating right helps a lot, and not dressing in to early where you may sweat in your drysuit...that's a big one for me. :)

Just a question for the OP (zerogravity I think?) Did you ever get any useful information out of this thread before it got hijacked? I would like to make sure your question gets answered for you as it was a good one.

I'd be interested in hearing how divers who are diving in cold water to 300' deal with that one. :)
We used electric heaters.

You are right...that is a big issue. ... For me, I also find that proper hydration and eating right helps a lot, and not dressing in to early where you may sweat in your drysuit...that's a big one for me. :)

Sounds good Scott. I prefer a hot-water suit myself, but if your not on an umbilical this poses a problem. :)

Did you ever get any useful information out of this thread before it got hijacked?

I don't think it got hijacked Bill. The discussion has surrounded part of the OPs question i.e. Trimix vs. Deep Air.

Wayne

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom