Opinions on Cruise SAD Kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From your list the things I would include are:
Bolt snap, just 1
Zip ties
Spare mask strap
Spare fin strap, just 1
Spare mouthpiece, questionable
Spare computer battery and changing tool

Erik

Spare mask strap? Get a neoprene strap instead, no spare necessary

Spare fin strap? Not necessary, get full foot fins... it's the Caribbean. I've used the same pair of FF fins for over ten years. They last almost forever if you take care of them, and there's no straps to break.

Spare mouthpiece? Only thing on this list that might actually need replacing. But so extremely rare it's not even worth bringing. The dive ops all have contingencies covered.

Spare computer battery? Not necessary. Most computers (at the least the ones I've seen...) have a low battery warning, and the computer is good for more than a week of diving while on "low battery". So if the computer is fine before the week-long cruise, it will not need a new battery during the cruise. Now if it's one of those eight month, around the world cruises... then yeah, bring a spare battery.

My opinions are based only on my experience of having dived from cruise ships regularly since 2008. I won't take it personally if people disagree with me or even if they think I'm a reckless idiot for not bringing these "save a dive" items with me on a cruise & dive trip. Just felt that advice based on actual experience was worth sharing. The title of the thread seemed to ask for opinions, so I'm giving mine.

oh, and it's unlikely you'll be allowed to bring any tools... sharp or not... on board. Wrench, pliers, hex keys, screwdrivers... they'll confiscate those when you're boarding. They'll confiscate the duct tape also. You might argue that it's harmless, but they'll argue that there is nothing you should need duct tape for while on their cruise ship.

This has not been my experience on 10 different cruise lines and 500+ days at sea over the past 14 years, bringing my dive gear on almost all of them. My save-a-dive kit includes a small adjustable wrench, pliers, multi-tool with no knife blade, short screwdrivers, hex key, and a small roll of duct tape. If some security officer was stupid enough to view any of those items as weapons, we would be having a conversation with the chief of security, and I would not lose that argument.

Have you ever cruised?

I bring a multitool, duct tape, scissors, small tool kit and stuff on every cruise I've ever been on. Can't take the multitool on and off the ship once aboard but everything else comes and goes with me.
Can I ask which lines you've cruised with?

If some security officer was stupid enough to view any of those items as weapons, we would be having a conversation with the chief of security, and I would not lose that argument.
It's not about the tools being weapons. From what I understand, the cruise lines don't want passengers to have the ability to take things apart in their cabins (or elsewhere on the ship.) The only tool I accidentally brought with me once, a small open ended wrench, was confiscated for this reason. They didn't think it was a weapon... they thought it could be used to loosen some nuts and bolts.

It is true that different people have different experiences, and my opinions will always be influenced by my opinions. In all the time I've cruised (only 100+ days, much less than yourself...) and had my scuba gear with me (every cruise), I've never had the need for tools, duct tape, etc. I go diving, I rinse my gear, hang it in the cabin, repeat. So my opinion about bringing tools will continue to be influenced by the pros and cons of my experience: only time I brought a tool it was confiscated, and I have never needed tools anyway.

I think the OP is looking for opinions just for this reason: we share our actual experiences, and he uses the advice to make a decision that works best for him.

I take a box of o rings, a couple of Schrader valves with the insertion tool (Doesn't look like a tool, it's quite innocuous) silicone grease, a hank of micro cord, and a couple of feet of 4mm bungee.
I use a neoprene mask strap and spring fins/full foot fins these days, so no need for spare straps.

Can I ask which lines you've cruised with?
20+ cruises on RCI & X primarily but I've also done multiple cruises on Carnival and NCL.

And I've never, ever heard of a cruise line restricting tools and duct tape!!! Seriously???

And... I just checked the list of restricted items on all the cruise lines, tools and duct tape (seriously???) aren't on them.

Not sure if the rules are still the same but I cruised with RCI on a similar cruise a few years back. During the boat inprocessing they confiscated my small crescent wrench and pliers. Just something to consider for planning. I'm not sure if I had taken a multi-tool instead if they would have confiscated.

Back
Top Bottom