Opinions on Cruise SAD Kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptainPanda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, friends, I'm booked on a RC cruise in December, with stops at Cozumel and Roatan (among others) so I'm definitely bringing my scuba kit along. I have a pretty nice save-a-dive kit that I've gathered together for domestic travel that has some tools, and cutters, and a knife, and etcetera. Obviously, I can't bring sharp things on board the ship, so I'm curious to know what you all think are the best and most important things to gather in your SAD kit for cruising.

Interesting. I've never heard of a SAD kit.

.A few years ago I began just bringing EMT shears/scissors on cruises and when I dive. They can be carried on airplanes, boats etc. Never, ever had a problem with them. I buy em by the dozen, cheap on Amazon 12 for $15. Use them for everything, they are in all my vehicles, tool boxes, first aid kits, travel bags etc.

What else is in your SAD kit?

BTW, just got off the Oasis which went to Coz, Roatan and Costa Maya. Diving in Roatan was very nice. Basically my family had the boat to ourselves. We used Sun Divers instead of going through the ship. Free pick up and return to the cruise dock and they let my wife and daughter in law tag along and snorkel while we dived. Didn't dive in Coz or Costa Maya but I will the next time.

What else is in your SAD kit?

It's fairly extensive, actually; I take a bit of a 'better safe than sorry' attitude:
  • Side Cutters
  • Pliers
  • Adjustable Wrench
  • Hex Keys
  • Screwdriver
  • Folding Knife
  • Spare Double-End Boltsnap
  • Spare Single-End Boltsnap
  • Snorkel Keepers
  • Extra Line & Bungee Cord
  • Duct Tape
  • Chemical Marker Light
  • Spare Mask Strap
  • Spare Fin Straps
  • Spare Mouthpiece
  • Spare Batteries for Dive Light & Computer
  • O-Ring Set & Picks
  • Silicone Grease & 3-in-1 Oil
  • Zip Ties
  • Permanent Marker
  • Extra Port Plugs
  • Extra Defog
  • Cleaning Brush & Towel
Everything's pocket-sized or compact, so it fits into a waterproof plastic box about the size of a small shoe box.

I've done extensive diving from cruise ships. I've always brought my own gear, but never brought a SAD kit. And I've never had occasion to need one.

I tell my brand new OW students that a SAD kit should have a mouthpiece, fin strap, orings and maskstrap (i.e. four rubber things, most likely to need replacing in a pinch.) But I have a neoprene maskstrap, full-foot fins for diving in the Carib, and I assume my dive op with have orings.

It's my opinion, based on my experience, that you'll be over-overprepared bringing a SAD kit with even a fraction of the items you list above for your cruise ship diving. My advice is that you try to relax and have fun.

oh, and it's unlikely you'll be allowed to bring any tools... sharp or not... on board. Wrench, pliers, hex keys, screwdrivers... they'll confiscate those when you're boarding. They'll confiscate the duct tape also. You might argue that it's harmless, but they'll argue that there is nothing you should need duct tape for while on their cruise ship.

I bring along things which I don't anticipate being able to replace in case of a failure, such as a dump valve and inflator for my wing or a spare mask which I know will fit me, perhaps hoses of the lengths I prefer in case I have to replace a failing regulator with a rental. The Perdix to back up the Teric of course. You can find tools on any boat.

From your list the things I would include are:
Bolt snap, just 1
Zip ties
Spare mask strap
Spare fin strap, just 1
Spare mouthpiece, questionable
Spare computer battery and changing tool

Erik

oh, and it's unlikely you'll be allowed to bring any tools... sharp or not... on board. Wrench, pliers, hex keys, screwdrivers... they'll confiscate those when you're boarding. They'll confiscate the duct tape also. You might argue that it's harmless, but they'll argue that there is nothing you should need duct tape for while on their cruise ship.
Have you ever cruised?

I bring a multitool, duct tape, scissors, small tool kit and stuff on every cruise I've ever been on. Can't take the multitool on and off the ship once aboard but everything else comes and goes with me.

Have you ever cruised?

I bring a multitool, duct tape, scissors, small tool kit and stuff on every cruise I've ever been on. Can't take the multitool on and off the ship once aboard but everything else comes and goes with me.
Yes, a lot. And every cruise I've been on, we have dived at every stop. I've done somewhere north of 100 dives just from cruise ship stops alone.

The one time I brought a tool by accident (I forgot I had a small open end wrench in my regulator bag), they confiscated it.

If you've been able to bring a multitool, scissors and duct tape on every one of your cruises... congratulations. On all the cruises I've been on, I don't recall a single moment that I needed any of those things. But do whatever makes you happy, that's what cruising, and diving, is about.

Back
Top Bottom