Opinions needed on BC&BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveRite Aluminum BP+TransPlate+RecWing.

I believe SS BP should make a better alternative for you. I live in Thailand and mostly warm water diving so Aluminum was recommeded when I set up my rig. DiveRite also make weight pockets but at a premium price (in the local market) so I made some adoption and made myself a few weight pockets.

Enjoy!!!!

I went with Oxycheq SS BP and 45# wing with lightweight STA.

When I get back into cold water I will go for a weighted STA.

Regarding the crotch strap, I would not remove it. I went with it very loose and my tank was all over the place. It was at about a 45 Degree angle to my back at some points. The crotch stap is an absolute must especially if you want to keep your shoulder and waist straps a little loose. I find having them a little loose helps with my range of motion, especially when doing valve drills.

The oxycheq is a great setup but the backplate I got does cut through the webbing. I still have to deburr it but some tube over the webbing where it goes through the BP has really reduced the damage.

I also use the XS scuba trim pockets on the cam straps and waist belt. They are great. For the cam straps I reversed one so I could get one pouch on each side of the tank and avoid modifying the stap itself. So, far this works great in place of a weighted STA.

Wants: weight integration, need pockets that can handle 12lbs each; 3-4 D-rings; low profile. Not too cumbersome to pack on long international trips. Good performance without a crotch strap.

Looking at: Halycon Pioneer 36, Dive Rite Transpac, Zeagle Brigade, open to other suggestions. Any and all opinions welcome from anyone diving these set ups.

Thanks…[/QUOTE]

I see you are from the Seattle area, I do most of my diving in Puget Sound and Hood Canal, with the occasional trip to Nanaimo, BC. I'm curious as to why you want weight integration? I carry about the same amount of weight as you and found the weight intergated rig was too heavy and ackward, especially on boat dives. I use a Fred T backplate, OMS comfort harness, Halcyon Eclipse 40# wing along with a DUI weight harness. Weight belts slide off, I've tried Haclyon's ACB system, after several dives it went to ebay. So far the DUI harness works the best. The other nice part of using a backplate and wings is that you can add as many D rings as you need and where you need them. Give the bp/wing set up a try.

Thanks for all the input, have been out of town. One question would be; I never had a problem with my tank staying in place or my trim with my current BC. What makes a back plate system require a crotch strap for stability? Regarding weight belts, I just don’t like them, not familiar with the DUI harness set up. Once again I am a bit of a minimalist, or strive to be. Fortunately, I can handle hauling my BC around, would never ask the crew on a boat to deal with my weighted BC.

Looked at the Oxycheq (sp?) set up, they do have a back plate for tropical diving. In the end I am going to just have to try them all on and see what feels best.

Thanks again, user feed back on any set-up welcome…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom