Opinionated LDS's...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Stingray,

Let me clarify my last posting... I sent that a bit on the fly...

First let me give you a quick synopsis of my experience to give you a rough idea of my perspective. I got addicted to SCUBA in January of 2000 with an intro dive. I was certified in June of 2000, did my advanced open water in February of 2001 and my rescue diver in October of 2001 (still grinning about that)! I've logged about 70 dives and have a live aboard planned for Christmas.

I rented gear for the first 30 or so dives, and had no real problem. I decided to buy gear, mostly because I wanted the extra assurance of _knowing_ that I had a bc that fit, and also having a computer, because all of my diving is done in multi day trips that culminate in flying. So, once I was going to buy a bc and computer, it seemed reasonable to go ahead and get the rest.

Now, I am pretty mellow about gear, I want something that works, but I generally am not willing to spend a lot of money for extra bells and whistles.

I have a friend, for whom most of the joy of the sport seems to be around researching and purchasing the latest gear with the neatest trick... So, I think your personality is an important consideration here... this friend and I are at opposit ends of a continuum. You probably want to figure out what is going to make you most comfortable.

Here are the decisions that I made...

I have a US Divers Sonic 2 bc -- it was a rental unit, but had clearly only been used once or twive... they had a surplus in that size... so they gave it to me for $150.00. My main concern with a bc was adequate fit and adjustment... (I'm a large woman) this one allowed for a maximum range of adjustments. I'm mildly disappointed in it because it doesn't have any extra pockets... just the basic set up... so no safety pocket for a car key... But, overall, it does the trick and was a good buy.

My reg set is a U.S. Divers Titan Aqualung -- I'm very pleased with... but I must say, I haven't noticed much difference in different regs. My alternate is the Aqualung low profile... a pretty standard, low cost item.

My console is a SUUNTO, with the computer Suunto fusion... it is adequate... does the job... if I had it to do all over, I think I might try to choose a more streamline console and perhaps a wrist mount computer... (I hear that I can change that relatively easily, so I might)... also, I have a compass that doesn't have the standard bezel, so I think I want to change that.

I did splurge and get the Apollo split fins... and am VERY glad I did that.

So, my point was, I got fine equipment, it does the job... however, if I had waited a bit longer, and had a bit more experience, I think I would have understood my needs a bit better, and would have made some different purchasing decisions.

Liz

I tried it first, the LDS that you buy from should rent the same gear that they sell, rent it first. Go on a fun dive with your diving friends, or instructor and lok at their gear,and ask questions.

I personally do not care for seaquest, but I ain't the one buying it. I dive a trans-pakII and an atomic b1, and I thinking about getting an apex.

Now I feel that shop A should never say anything about shop B. Because any advertisment is good advertisment. If that guy was talking bad about the other dive shop,what do you think he has to say about his customers?

Good questions.

A few suggestions:

(1) You don't have to rent your gear from the shop you are taking your course through. Different shops rent different gear and possibly different quality gear. Call around and see what shops are offering for rental. You can then do some research to see if the gear they are offering matches type/quality you want to try. Not all rental gear is crap -- it tends to consist of entry level models that stand up well to abuse.

(2) Demo gear -- many shops will let you try out demo gear if you appear interested in buying from them.

(3) Borrow gear from divers you know.

As I remember it, almost no one in my BOW course owned their own gear during the check-out dives.

I think the thing to remember, as Iguana Don said above is that the VAST majority of gear being made today is high quality stuff that will serve you well.

IMHO, The choices you have to make involve FEATURES and not so much which specific brands to buy (although, you obviously want to do brand/model research as well). Do you want an air integrated computer vs. non-AI? Do you want a wrist mounted computer or gauges? Do you want a jacket or rear-inflate BC? Weight integrated BC? Etc., etc., etc. Features can be tried via rental gear, helping you to make informed decisions. Once you decide the type of gear/features you want, your decision will be narrowed down to the 3-4 brands/models offered by your LDS's and those that you've researched and received positive recommendations on. This is the point at which the ability to demo the exact model you want to buy would be helpful, even if only in a pool.

I don't think it takes a huge number of OW dives to start forming opinions on what gear will meet your needs, but getting at least 10 under your belt will be helpful in understanding what will work for you, what gear you like/dis-like, etc. When you do research on the internet and on various message boards, having a little experience will really helps put the information in perspective and helps you to be able to tell what is BS.

An example of this for me was my computer purchase. I had about 25 dives under my belt before I bought my computer. The one dive that stuck in my mind in making this decision was a free ascent & safety stop I did from about 70 fsw. I was using a rented computer (console) at the time and found it very cumbersome to manipulate my BC inflator/deflator hose with my left hand and to see the computer at the same time (console was also on the left). This was a big factor in my decision to buy a wrist-mounted computer (Suunto Vyper) that I wear on my right wrist.

If I had listened to my instructor and LDS, I think i would ended up with different gear than I ended up buying. Some would have been fine -- other gear I might have wanted to replace fairly quickly.

And above all -- keep those questions coming!

Originally posted by large_diver
...very cumbersome to manipulate my BC inflator/deflator hose with my left hand and to see the computer at the same time.

Very good point. Again something that I hadn't even considered and completely makes sense to me.

ladycute1: thanks for the info. I have only made one purchase as of yet, and that was some fins. I got some TwinJet split fins and I actually love them. I replaced the ones that I have had for about 5 years (don't remember the brand but they were Alpha series) and all I can say is that I really do love these fins.

MrMrEZG: I'll have to check on the gear that is rented from the LDSs in the area, but I do know that the LDS I'm getting cert'd at will let me test/try most equipment to find the best one to purchase from them.

Thanks again everyone.

Originally posted by joewr
Yep, get a little experience under the cumberbun...

Cumberbun? What cumberbun? Don't you mean crotch strap? :)

Roak

Folks,

I hope everyone who is on the Board is reading this thread! It is a model for what I think is a good way to exchange information.

Lady Cute...just out of curiousity, do you patronize either Bamboo Reef or Marin Skin Diving? I have found them to be good places to shop in the SF Bay Area. Some of the salesfolks are very knowledgeable and discuss the merits of the products as opposed to the deficiencies of the competition...

Iguana Don...extemely sage (or thyme-ly) advice for one with reptilian blood lines!

Let me add one other thought about rental gear. I have noticed that, if you rent, even at exotic tropical sites, there can be some leeway in what you get. For example, before Barbara bought her Oasis she got a chance to try one out. We were diving in the USVI and the DM had one. Barbara asked him about it and, because we were diving for several days, he offered to let her borrow his the next day. I have seen that happen to other folks with other dive shops, too.

So, I guess it comes back to the "have a little patience and look around" approach!

Oh, yes, Lady Cute reminded me of something that I have said on other threads. Sometimes you can find specials on "last year's model". So, if you are the type that does not mind NOT having all the bells and whistles of the most recent version, you can sometimes get a bargain. But, do not just buy on price! Remember you need to buy what suits your diving needs.

Joewr...wondering if another piece of left over Halloween candy would taste good with lunch...

Hey Joewr...

You wrote:

>>>>>>>>>>>>Lady Cute...just out of curiousity, do you patronize either Bamboo Reef or Marin Skin Diving? I have found them to be good places to shop in the SF Bay Area. Some of the salesfolks are very knowledgeable and discuss the merits of the products as opposed to the deficiencies of the competition... <<<<<<<<<<<<

I have not tried either of those... I live in Fremont -- which is at the south edge of the east Bay -- between San Jose and Oakland. I have tried Diver Dan's in Santa Clara -- and, while I know many people are very happy there, I didn't get a good 'personal connection'. I've been using Captain Aqua's in Dublin (they also have a location in Hayward). I have been reasonably happy with the service there.

Actually, I have been most impressed with the service of the dive shop I use when visiting Maui; Maui Dreams Dive Co. -- and sometimes I bounce my questions off them via e-mail.

>>>>>>>>>>Oh, yes, Lady Cute reminded me of something that I have said on other threads. Sometimes you can find specials on "last year's model". So, if you are the type that does not mind NOT having all the bells and whistles of the most recent version, you can sometimes get a bargain. But, do not just buy on price! Remember you need to buy what suits your diving needs. <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Obviously, I subscribe to this view, Joewr, but then again, I see an automobile as a transportation appliance, not a status symbol. :jester:

>>>>>>>>>Joewr...wondering if another piece of left over Halloween candy would taste good with lunch...<<<<<<<<<<

Sounds good to me!! What flavor/ and.. are you sharing??

.........Lady Cute1 (waiting for her gills to grow in)

Originally posted by ladycute1
....automobile as a transportation appliance, not a status symbol. :jester:

I like that! I do subscribe to a similar idea that I would rather have something that works well ranther than looks good.

My recent experience:

I just got certified in june, so this is all fresh experience with this kind of thing.

I bought most of my stuff slightly after i finished my course. I would certainly change a few things now, but it really did take around 50 dives to appreciate and watch others and see what i "really" want for round two so i can call most of this stuff backup equip.

For the stuff you're looking for, heres my thoughs on the same or similar things:

Computer: Cobra. Love it, does nitrox too which is a good thing. For those who say its air integrated and if it fails blah blah, i got a backup stinger. Also love it, but would now only buy a mosquito for much less money plus the battery is user changeable which the stinger apparently is not. Would stick with the cobra.

BC: Zeagle Ranger. Lots of people love it. I find it ok. I Want a VERY simple bc. I find the pockets in this absolutely useless for the wearer and only for your buddy and i wouldn't give weight integrated BC's another look now. I'm very jealous now of people with nothing but webbing, a bladder and a backplate. The customizability there is fantastic and no bulk unless you add it. Wouldnt stick with this choice.

Reg: Apeks TX 50. Love the reg. Would rather have a 100 or better yet 200 because its twice as good. (just kidding but it must be right :))

steve

Back
Top Bottom