Opinionated LDS's...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by ladycute1
I have tried Diver Dan's in Santa Clara -- and, while I know many people are very happy there, I didn't get a good 'personal connection'. I've been using Captain Aqua's in Dublin .

>>>>>>>>>Joewr...wondering if another piece of left over Halloween candy would taste good with lunch...<<<<<<<<<<

Sounds good to me!! What flavor/ and.. are you sharing??

LadyCute,

Today I drove right past you on 880 as I traveled down to Sunnyvale to babysit my granddaughter! I have been to Diver Dan's because it is not too far from my son's home in Sunnyvale...and I would have to concur with your opinion. Have also been to Capt Aqua's in Dublin and I like the people, but their inventory is somewhat shy. Probably Marin and Bamboo Reef are too far away from you...

Big Hunk--and I would have shared if I had read your post prior to leaving home today. I gave most of the extra ones to the neighbor kids since they "need" them more than I do. My granddaughter is just shy of 2 yrs and is not ready for them...

Joewr...still glowing from a day with Lindsey....

This is a great thread !!!

As others mentioned it is an example for other threads and boards !!! Every reply is deep and on-subject..nice....

Anyway i don't have anything new to add... I believe 100% in the strategy of waiting-diving-try-asking etc...

Dive Safe....

Manogr

Originally posted by Manogr
This is a great thread !!!

As others mentioned it is an example for other threads and boards !!! Every reply is deep and on-subject..nice....

Anyway i don't have anything new to add... I believe 100% in the strategy of waiting-diving-try-asking etc...

Dive Safe....

Manogr

Hey, I'm lovin' this! I'm getting so much information just from a few questions. So far, I have decided that I'm going to be renting for a bit to test out much more gear and broaden my horizons as far as brands and such.

I hear so much about the Zeagle Ranger here, I'm sorta wondering if I can rent this BC to test it out, I suppose I'll see. I also hear alot about Atomic, Oceanic and many other brands of Regulators. I think I'd like to try those out as well. When it comes to computers, I haven't heard many more brands recommended here than Suunto, so I think I'll just do a bit more research into the wrist vs integrated.

I'll be keeping everyone in tune with what I am deciding on and I'll be looking here for more input.

BY THE BY.. MY OW IS COMING UP... NEXT TUESDAY!!! WHOOOOOO.

Thanks again for everyone's input, this is awesome!

:D

Originally posted by stingray

Hey, I'm lovin' this!
Thanks again for everyone's input, this is awesome!

:D

Until you get the bill! You really did not think this was free, did you?

Joewr...another happy customer...

I had probably one of the strangest experiences in a LDS that you could ever imagine. It wasn't just opinionated, it was down right scary, aggressive. I had already become certified when it happened, but the salesperson (not the owner) of this particular store decided that I didn't know up from down.

When I decide to do something like take scuba lessons, buy a bicycle, or computer, or anything that requires a little research, that's exactly what I do. I read everything I can get my hands on before I make a decision. So when I go into a store, I say I'm interested in ___ (whatever). Sometimes, I get a guy who thinks that because I'm a woman who's short, gray haired, thick Texas accent, or whatever, that I couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about. WRONG!!

That's what happened in this LDS. The guy started asking me where I took my classes, then proceeded to bad mouth my instructor, his store, his merchandise, etc. He went so far as to say that someone had died in my instructors class, and that every certification agency had kicked hiim out. Yes! That's really what he did. It wasn't true of course, and I knew it wasn't, but I played along. He tried to convince me that I was going to die if I relied on my training from this guy, and I had to take his class because he was such a skilled instructor. I pinned him down and made him admit that no one in fact died in a class with my instructor, but he still insisted that someone almost did. If this is true, then I wonder why the police dept., fire dept., and sheriff's dept. all take classes from my instructor and not the guy telling me all the stories. When I was taking my classess, there were two paramedics taking an advanced class at the same time. Do you think they'd take from someone who was so dangerous? I don't think so. They dive with him on a regular basis. He is a licensed paramedic himself.

The other LDS salesperson also told me my guarantees wouldn't be any good because the guy only sells gray market stuff, and doesn't really represent the company he claims to. Well, why is he listed on the manufacturer's website as a dealer if that is so.

So, you see, there can be some really evil LDS people out there. I just encourage you to educate yourself before you ever go into a store. I told my LDS instructor about the incident, and he said he's already sued them in the past for the same thing, and that they continue to do it anyway. After writing this, I think I should report them to their certification agency. What do you all think?

Stingray....when you start researching dive computers, don't forget about Oceanic. I'm on my third one...started out with the Data Max then upgraded to the hoseless Data Trans. I lost confidence in the hoseless and went back to the Data Max Pro Plus (Nitrox). I also use an Oceanic Data plus for a backup. It's small and fits in a pocket.

Oceanic is very easy to read, is in the mid-range on the conservative scale, and extremely user friendly. Beast uses a Suunto Vyper. One difference we have noticed is it takes me 4 button pushes to change the Nitrox setting on the Oceanic and his Suunto requires 14! Not a big deal in the greater scope of things, tho.

Stingray,

I'll add my welcome to everyone else's. I got to this thread a little late!

Saw something on one of your original posts:

"The LDS that I'm getting cert'd through says that if I don't have my own equipment by the last class, I need to use a Stab vest?"

Just curious-if you were using one BCD during class, why would they force you to change to a "stab" vest for the last class? Seems like it would be best to do your OW in something that you're familiar with.

As everyone else has said before, waiting to purchase is an excellent idea. More money has been spent by new divers who have had to repurchase equipment after not having the right info in the first place.

If you go with the Apeks and Suunto down the road, you'll be very happy. I don't dive the Balance. Ever try a backplate and wings? It'll be difficult to rent, but try to check it out.

Jack

If only all new divers would go thru this investigative process.....

Originally posted by detroit diver
...Saw something on one of your original posts:

"The LDS that I'm getting cert'd through says that if I don't have my own equipment by the last class, I need to use a Stab vest?"

Just curious-if you were using one BCD during class, why would they force you to change to a "stab" vest for the last class? Seems like it would be best to do your OW in something that you're familiar with.
I would agree with you there, but their idea is this (apparently):
The BCD's that they use in the class only touch pool water and are replaced every year. You can buy one of the "never dived in Ocean water", less than one year old BCDs for 20% off retail (brings it down to about $400 or abouts). This is what actually got me thinking of buying my equipment. In the SSI OW book (pg. 11), it compares owning your own equipment to renting a car.
quoted from Open Water The Most Prestigious Diving Program In The World (NASDS), Revised and edited by Valerie S. Moore OWI 2551, page 11
"Even though you know that your rental car will have the same features as your own (lights, wipers, defrost, etc.), you know where they are on your own vehicle without a moments notice. Plus, with your own car or your own diving equipment, you know how and when it has been taken care of and it's complete service record.
-trying to give proper credit, it's been a while since I've written a bibliography... :)
This made sense to me and started me on my research of equipment.

Originally posted by stingray

I would agree with you there, but their idea is this (apparently):
The BCD's that they use in the class only touch pool water and are replaced every year. You can buy one of the "never dived in Ocean water", less than one year old BCDs for 20% off retail (brings it down to about $400 or abouts).

I'll tell you what else that policy does-it makes the not yet certified OW new diver think "Oh my gosh, I'll be wearing something I havent' tried before on my OW test. I'll just have no choice but to purchase what I'm used to, to pass this test."

Great marketing technique from the store's point of view, but total B.S.. In fact, I actually think it's a safety issue for this level of diving. Open ocean, new diver, weighting & buoyancy issues, task loading, new equipment. The new diver is concentrating on his skills to pass this test. He/she shouldn't be worrying about how to operate some new fangled piece of equipment.

I could go on, but I'm just getting more aggrevated thinking about this!!

By the way, this wasn't meant to shake you up on your test. I just think the LDS is dead wrong on this issue. You might want to "borrow" their "stab" jacket in the pool to just get aquainted with it before your test.

Good luck!

Jack

Unless someone can provide you with some sort of facts, then all they are offering is opinions. All opinions are not created equal. Some opinions are good for one, and not good for others, some are good for everyone, and some are good for no one. When you have a group of people like you do on Scubaboard that agree on issues like equipment selection, I think you can be relatively assured that they will be giving you quality advice. From the list that you provided, I don't see how anyone could really tear it apart. If you can find someone who is knowledgable, and actually willing to talk about products that they don't stock, then you are in the right store. Some shops try to take every customer that they can. I would rather send a customer to another store, that sells the items they need, rather than sell them something that they don't need, just so that they eventually go to the other store anyway, and never return to mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom