Opinionated LDS's...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by stingray

What I have heard, and seen here a few times, is that it is nice to have your own equipment just so you can get used to it's feel and uses and how (basically) YOU use it. I was going on this premise basically from the opinions that I have read here and what I used on the "experience".

large_diver : I can definately see your point about : "wait until after your class and after you have a few OW dives under your belt before buying everything. "

joewr: Good points as well.

Just so I don't make my posts into freakin' books.. :rolleyes: thanks to everyone else. Awesome to get feedback like this. I am glad I found this place.

Stingray,

Yessiree! Your own equipment is the way to go for the reasons stated so succintly by you. And one added advantage: you will improve your muscle tone as you drag it through one airport after another. This is further accentuated if you have a wife or girlfriend who "shares" your "dive gear suitcase".

Yep, get a little experience under the cumberbun...it gives you a chance to try some rental gear (although such gear is rarely top of the line) and to see what others are using.

Of course, I make good points...my fellow Regulators claim I have a pointed head!

Freakin' book? Wait 'til you ask DocVikingo a travel question! You are just in leaflet form now! Of course, there are my trip reports, but that is another issue...

Joewr...

Stingray,
Welcome fromNJ.
You have the right idea about equipment. As many of the others have said, take your time, rent if possible- definitely try it out where possible - it is going to be a big investment, and it is for life support . As you can see, the board has many experienced divers who are more than willing to share their views on almost any topic. ultimately, you have to decide- don't let the LDS "bully " you into a purchase that you are not sure you want to make.
good luck,
Mike

When I first decided to Scuba I bought all my gear. I did more reasearch than study for my OW class. I researched for two months

I followed the logic of train in my own equipment so I can get use to it with supervision.

After getting certified and purchasing most of my equipment, I found a LDS that has the attitude "what do you want we'll get it for you" and at very reasonable price.

conclusion

Shop around find a shop that shares your views of equipment
I did and saved enough money to pay for a dive trip. Had I bought there first I could've taken my buddy

First, thanks to all for the comments here.

Originally posted by Fishkiller
Shop around find a shop that shares your views of equipment
I did and saved enpugh money to pay for a dive trip. has I bought there first I could've taken my buddy

I think I have come to a conclusion. I gunna work with the equipment as much as possible in the class first.

The LDS that I'm getting cert'd through says that if I don't have my own equipment by the last class, I need to use a Stab vest? Maybe I'll decide on a definitive by then, but I will definately be doing more research and asking a lot more questions.

Tanx!

Just thought I'd chime in with my experience (for what it is worth)... I'm a relatively new diver... I have about 70 dives logged. I didn't own a single piece of equipment until after I had logged 30 dives. Then I bought a full set of gear. I'm reasonably happy with my gear, but, still, knowing what I know now, I would do a few things differently....

What I am trying to say, is that I would encourage you to not buy until you have a bit more experience.

Just thought I'd chime in with my experience (for what it is worth)... I'm a relatively new diver... I have about 70 dives logged. I didn't own a single piece of equipment until after I had logged 30 dives. Then I bought a full set of gear. I'm reasonably happy with my gear, but, still, knowing what I know now, I would do a few things differently....

What I am trying to say, is that I would encourage you to not buy until you have a bit more experience.

Stingray,

You are doing a really good thing by coming here for advice before buying. Be an informed purchaser.

Don't tell the LDS you have been looking at any other products, make him SELL you HIS mdse and not trash anybody elses.

If he starts telling you Brand A is crap, it's because he doesn't know anything about selling and is a good sign to hit the door running or find another more knowledgeable salesman.

There is no crap on the market. The Diving Market is highly competetive and no manuf. is going to survive by selling crap.
There isn't a reg on the market that I wouldn't use in Rec diving. They are all that good.

Hope this helps

ID

This rocks guys! I'm getting a lot of good opinions here! Sweet!

Originally posted by ladycute1
Just thought I'd chime in with my experience (for what it is worth)... I didn't own a single piece of equipment until after I had logged 30 dives. ..... but, still, knowing what I know now, I would do a few things differently....

So you are saying that what you would do different is to wait right? Just trying to make sure I read that correctly.

So how is the renting? It sounds like it is definatly a viable option:

Originally posted by joewr
Yep, get a little experience under the cumberbun...it gives you a chance to try some rental gear (although such gear is rarely top of the line) and to see what others are using. ....

Sounds like I am not done yet.. :) But hey, I'm on my second round of reading the cert book before the class so, I don't mind a little more research. I don't mind a LOT more research. SCUBA is turning into a passion and I haven't even started the class..hahaha This just rocks guys, as I am sure you all know!

S-ray...

Renting can be good and it can be bad. Good in that you get to try out different types of gear and you get to dive without the big up front $$$ outlay.

Bad in that you may be using beat up gear (although most reputable shops replace their rental gear annually) and have to deal with different gear configs each time you dive

-LD

Originally posted by large_diver
S-ray...

Renting can be good and it can be bad. Good in that you get to try out different types of gear and you get to dive without the big up front $$$ outlay.

Bad in that you may be using beat up gear (although most reputable shops replace their rental gear annually) and have to deal with different gear configs each time you dive

-LD

See that is one of the things that I am worried about. The equipment that is used in the classes for certification in the LDS that I'm getting certified at is less than a year old: True. The BCDs that they use are SeaQuest Balance. (This is the one I used in the "SCUBA Experience"), but the rentals they offer are 'Stab Jackets'? (I'm still not sure what they are yet, but whenever the LDS mentions it, it is said with a bit of uneasiness in his voice...) I don't know yet what regs they offer to rent, but it doesn't sound promising. I want to be able to test out equipment, but from what I have read (at the time of typing this, I'm reading syruss32:renting vs buying) it seems that there is a certain class of equipment that you can rent. In my research, I believe that I would like to test out some double balanced regulators for ease of breathing at depth among other reasons (immediately following my OW I am looking to take my Advanced OW). Will I be able to rent this class of equipment, or will I only be able to rent the unbalanced piston type of regulators?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom