Opinionated LDS's...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by stingray
I hate to plead ignorance here but, what is a 5thD?
A Dive shop near Seattle...
Fifth Dimension...
Online as H2O something or other...

Anyway they had Andy's put wrist dumps on all their suits....
Sooo...I thought maaybeee.... that's where you bought yours....
Where did you get yours and was that the shops idea or yours?

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
... had Andy's put wrist dumps on all their suits....
Sooo...I thought maaybeee.... that's where you bought yours....
Where did you get yours and was that the shops idea or yours?

When I took the drysuit class, the books all talked about dump valves in the shoulder. When we did the practice dives and in my checkout dives, there were no suits that anyone used that had valves anywhere but the wrists. Was it the shops idea or mine... well, I guess you could say the shop.

Is yours a shoulder one? Do you prefer one over the other?

Is yours a shoulder one? Do you prefer one over the other?

I think you can see it in my profile picture...
I am getting used to it but I've always had shoulder dumps...
This is the first tri-laminate I've had too...
The others were all Vulcanized rubber....Viking, Gates...

My dive partner has a shoulder dump DUI CF200 and he has to roll on his side to dump gas....
I just have to lift my arm but I need to keep ahead of gas expansion or I have to drop my legs to dump...

I think you can see it in my profile picture...

Very true... I hadn't even thought of looking...:thumb:

I am getting used to it but I've always had shoulder dumps...
This is the first tri-laminate I've had too...
The others were all Vulcanized rubber....Viking, Gates...

My dive partner has a shoulder dump DUI CF200 and he has to roll on his side to dump gas....

So is it easier just rolling to dump?

but I need to keep ahead of gas expansion or I have to drop my legs to dump...

Yeah, there were plenty of times that (being a novice at the buoyancy thing as well as using the dry suit for buoyancy) I needed to force my legs down to dump.

So is it easier just rolling to dump?

It is necessary with most shoulder dumps but does nothing for a wrist dump...

I find that the wrist dump (for me) takes a little more thoughtful use but yields a greater degree of control.... and it doesn't just dump accidentally on its own... I have to raise my hand... I also find that I need to lower my right hand below the plane of my body to make sure that I get the gas out of the right sleeve as well.

Currently I am diving a weezle undergarment but I have a custom Thinsulate coming in a few weeks. I'll see how this effects gas shifts and dumps.

I should mention that I leave the wrist dump set all the way open to dump as much as will squeeze out when I raise my wrist.

Looks like you have some great advice from this string( I'm impressed, but I shouldn't be Divers are usally great guys&gals) Anouther thing some shops sell the very equipment your using in class at discounted rates to they're students and thus is able to offer the students better and newer equipment each year.
There are also some good discount warehouse style equipment dealers with great selection and prices that do mail order, but then you have to know exactly what you want.
GOOD LUCK AND GREAT DIVING ! ! !=-)

Stingray,
I have been diving with a Black Diamond since July and it is a great BC. I have found that rear inflation BC's are alot more sensitive to overweighting than jacket types. They work even better with steel tanks. The Cobra is a little conservative for my taste, but it is a good computer.

Originally posted by sharpenu
Stingray,
I have been diving with a Black Diamond since July and it is a great BC. I have found that rear inflation BC's are alot more sensitive to overweighting than jacket types. They work even better with steel tanks. The Cobra is a little conservative for my taste, but it is a good computer.

Yeah, I don't have too many dives, but I love my Black Diamond so far.

So what is your take on dive computers? What do you dive?

I dive with an Aeris 500AI. I have also owned (and recommend):
the Datamax Pro Plus. The others i have owned have been air only. The Favor Air Lux and wrist Favor were both good computers.

Back
Top Bottom