Opinion needed..which regulator set to keep..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

secret_ag

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, would like to seek some advise from fellow divers on the following, assuming you have 2 set of regulators,
  1. Atomic B2 with SS1 Octo
  2. ScubaPro MK2 Evo with R195 and R195 Octo
If you are to keep only one set, which one will you keep? and which one will you sell. Assuming you only dive twice a year. Appreciate any inputs. Cheers!

neither?

Atomic-better hose routing from the first stage, but the SS1 is not my favorite. Also may not have quite the service convenience as the SP out of the country, better than most brands

Scubapro, better design with the standard octo, but bad hose routing with the MK2. It's really best for stage/deco bottles, not a good design for backgas. Guaranteed to find someone who can rebuild it anywhere on the planet

Realistically I'd sell both, and rent if you're only diving twice a year, or buy something that you can service yourself/dive more locally.

The scubapro, but that is because I am not a fan of the SS1.

The scubapro, but that is because I am not a fan of the SS1.

The SP R195 with the MkII is a completely fine and bullet proof regulator. N

Hose routing is absolutely no problem with either of these regs, they are both popular designs and have been used on literally millions of recreational dives. Not good for back gas? Jeesh....

The two are very different ends of the price spectrum; the MK2 is a lower-level workhorse that performs much better than most entry level regulators, the atomic is a premium high performance regulator, a very smooth and easy breather. Either one is going to work great. You'll get a much higher price for the atomic if you sell it.

I'm also not a fan of the SS1 or any octo/inflator. But that's a different topic. You might consider keeping the atomic, using the octo from the SP set, selling the SS1. Or just sell the atomic, get some money out of it, use the MK2 and get it rebuilt in about 10 years.

I really don't like the hose routing for back gas, has nothing to do with the reg performance, it is just about the worst possible design for streamlining, especially when compared to a turret.

I am with you on just selling the Atomic since you'll get more money from it and keeping the Scubapro.

I really don't like the hose routing for back gas, has nothing to do with the reg performance, it is just about the worst possible design for streamlining, especially when compared to a turret.

I am with you on just selling the Atomic since you'll get more money from it and keeping the Scubapro.

I keep hearing about this "Streamlining" crap.. You guys are worried about a hose being 3" to long or not coming off the first stage at the best possible angle... And then strap two hp100 tanks to your rig and a pony bottle with a HP120 for back gas... Lights , reels and all the other stuff... :confused::rofl3: I think you need to relook at this "streamline" statement....

Jim....

I keep hearing about this "Streamlining" crap.. You guys are worried about a hose being 3" to long or not coming off the first stage at the best possible angle... And then strap two hp100 tanks to your rig and a pony bottle with a HP120 for back gas... Lights , reels and all the other stuff... :confused::rofl3: I think you need to relook at this "streamline" statement....

Jim....

No, see you are confused, the rig you outline is the SCUBA Extremist warm water rig for 30 foot tropical resort diving, double all that plus a dry suit with "fundies" if the diving gets over 31 feet!

Actually, just preference, I have turret types and barrel types like the MII and prefer that routing for singles. But the turrets route nice and they can be flipped as well.

N

Assuming you only dive twice a year.
Keep the B2 - with the Seat Saver Orifice the recommended service interval is 24months/300 dives. It's definitely the better performer. Atomic was started by 2 ex-Scubapro engineers who wanted to build something better. So in effect both are of Scubapro origin...lol.

What many people may not be aware of is the SS1 was engineered by Atomic to breathe the same as the rest of their line. So keeping it or not becomes a function of what you'll do in an airshare situation more than anything else - cut thru the marketing hype and that fact still remains.
Another advantage lies in the high-performance design of the SS1 to breathe as easily as all other Atomic regulators and enable intuitive operation for buoyancy control. Other combination units on the market simply cannot match the design and performance of the SS1. Atomic Aquatics offers the highest quality, full-featured safe seconds available. Either option is designed to breathe just as easily as our top-of-the-line primaries.

I wouldn't be a fan of selling the SS1 and using one of your Scubapro seconds as an octo. Since then you need to have it serviced at two dealers. IDK of any joint Scubapro/Atomic dealers although surprisingly my dealer sells Atomic/Aqualung equally. I suspect that's due to the BC line more than the regs though.

Back
Top Bottom