Open Water Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,

I am new to this forum and scuba diving and just have a few questions regarding my PADI Open water course which I have booked for this summer. My experience of diving is limited to two try-dives I took whilst on holiday in Turkey a number of years back, I loved it and have been looking for right time to do it again and undertake some training. I have booked to go to egypt this summer with my girlfrend and so it seemed the perfect opportunity to do so, and I found what I though to be a very good offer online with Emperor Divers in Sharm el Sheikh. Concerned about the lack of safety on my previous try-dives, I emailed the company beforehand and checked out plenty of reviews online, and proceeded with the booking once satisfied with them. I can't wait to get out there and get on with it, but just have a few questions and would be grateful if anybody could kindly answer them for me:

1) I was told by the company that it would be ok for me and my girlfriend to share the PADI manual required for the course as we are staying in the same hotel and doing the course together, and I am looking at purchasing one before we travel online as they seem a better price, and we were advised of this by the company. However I have read that their are forms within this manual which need to be completed, if this is the case would we not need two lots of the forms an therefore two manuals? And also is it neccesary to purchase a manual with DVD's or is one without ok? :S

2) I have read abit about the course and what it involves but how does everybody think this course is to somebody who has never dived before? I have and understand its a strange feeling diving and trusting equipment etc. but my partner has not dived and I am just wondering what everyones opinion is on this? as in how many first time divers struggle or fail to complete the course? However she is good in water and a more capable swimmer then me so I imagine she will be ok.

3) Also one aspect I am worried about is the mask removal, from what I gather alot of people struggle with this exercise, I sometimes have problems with my eyes and soreness so I am slightly worried about having my eyes open in the salt water. Does anybody have any advice or opinions regarding this?

Thanks in advance for taking the time out to read/reply

Well the package with the manual costs like 25 bucks, so there is really no excuse for each of you to have your own manual. My wife and I, whom live together have our own.
There are not really forms inside, but your quizzes and the like are there.

If you friend can breathe and can manage to go underwater, then she will be fine scuba. If she has ever had a snorkel if her mouth, she is halfway there. The trick is teaching yourself to take a breath when your head is underwater.

Noone says you have to open your eyes, when you remove your mask. Yeah you probably will, but will probably shut them again. It is not the replacement of the mask is hard, it is your fear that you will inhale with your nose, once the mask is off. Practice breathing from your mouth and only your mouth, and you will ace that test

welcome to SB and good luck on your ow

ok so regarding DVD's are they just an optional thing when buying a manual? 25 bucks? Cheapest I can find is £30 :(

Thanks for quick reply and reassurance!

In my experience sharing manual in a household is commonplace. Forms can be photocopied. When we did this we made 2 copies and let the book clean as a reference.

Her water comfort is encouraging. If she's good with snorkeling she's almost a sure thing. Breathing with your face in the water is the occasional root of distress. If she can breath through a snorkel in the water a regulator will soon be her friend.

As for the mask clear we back to that wet face thing. This is all about desensitizing. Get belly down in a clean tub of warm water and ease yourself into it. Follow-up in a pool. Eventually you will probably enjoy the fuzzy view with your eyes open. If that's not happening for you then open eyes are not mandatory, just be comfortable with the mask off. Salt water while underwater probably won't bother you with any sting.

With a good instructor, decent watermanship and a little effort the class should be a pleasant accomplishment. Mere mortals have been accomplishing this for decades. Go have fun!

Pete

ok I will try that but I have always struggled with water in my eyes whether it be in the pool or sea.....but I will give it a try in a bath and stuff and see how that goes.

However is there not a part of OW where you have to do a no mask swim? surely this would be eyes open for it all?

Hi,

I am new to this forum and scuba diving and just have a few questions regarding my PADI Open water course which I have booked for this summer. My experience of diving is limited to two try-dives I took whilst on holiday in Turkey a number of years back, I loved it and have been looking for right time to do it again and undertake some training. I have booked to go to egypt this summer with my girlfrend and so it seemed the perfect opportunity to do so, and I found what I though to be a very good offer online with Emperor Divers in Sharm el Sheikh. Concerned about the lack of safety on my previous try-dives, I emailed the company beforehand and checked out plenty of reviews online, and proceeded with the booking once satisfied with them. I can't wait to get out there and get on with it, but just have a few questions and would be grateful if anybody could kindly answer them for me:

1) I was told by the company that it would be ok for me and my girlfriend to share the PADI manual required for the course as we are staying in the same hotel and doing the course together, and I am looking at purchasing one before we travel online as they seem a better price, and we were advised of this by the company. However I have read that their are forms within this manual which need to be completed, if this is the case would we not need two lots of the forms an therefore two manuals? And also is it neccesary to purchase a manual with DVD's or is one without ok? :S
PADI standards are that each person is to own a copy of the text-rdp-insructions of use for rdp..So already this facility is breaking standards before you even get there.As to the DVD, you are required to view it,I suggest owning it. The course is a system ,as in watch video,read book ,do homeworks,quiz,final exam,confined water,open water....Take any one part of the system out and you are placing roadblocks in front of yourself.
2) I have read abit about the course and what it involves but how does everybody think this course is to somebody who has never dived before? I have and understand its a strange feeling diving and trusting equipment etc. but my partner has not dived and I am just wondering what everyones opinion is on this? as in how many first time divers struggle or fail to complete the course? However she is good in water and a more capable swimmer then me so I imagine she will be ok.
everyone starts somewhere..At times it is better that the student never dove before.
3) Also one aspect I am worried about is the mask removal, from what I gather alot of people struggle with this exercise, I sometimes have problems with my eyes and soreness so I am slightly worried about having my eyes open in the salt water. Does anybody have any advice or opinions regarding this?
Some may struggle with this, but if explained and properly demonstrated there is no problems.

However is there not a part of OW where you have to do a no mask swim? surely this would be eyes open for it all?

Perhaps as a pool exercise to prove to yourself that you can survive without a mask. In this case it would be a scenario where your buddy is leading you out of the water so your vision is not imperative. The human eye focuses very poorly without a bubble of air in front of it. You will find that your underwater vision is limited anyhow.

ok thanks, I think I am reading into it abit too much and need to realise that everyone is able to do it even if it is uncomfortable or unusual. Anyway thanks for your quick replys and I look forward to starting my OW

Yes, there is a "no mask swim". There is nothing that prevents your buddy from leading you during the no mask swim. My students do it with their buddy leading them. They can have their eyes open or closed - whatever they are comfortable with.

Bill

1. "Standards" aside, everyone should have their own manual- good for making notes, use it whenever you want, and yes, there are reviews to complete that are pages in the manual.
2. Most people who take the open water certification course have not used scuba before. That is the assumption we start with at the beginning of the class.
3. As to mask removal and replacement, I'll be you have swam under water without a mask on. Think of it in those terms. Only with scuba, you don't have to surface to take a breath. Get into the mind set that you have done the equivalent of mask removal and replacement before, and that it is not going to be a problem. I know some people take a little longer to master the skill than others, but have an attitude of anticipation and success. Don't think negative.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom