"Open Water" Filmmakers survive the Tsunami in Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably the worst film I've ever had to endure.
The nude scene and the profanity took it from just plain lousy to lousy *and* tacky.
Don't waste your money.
-----
I am glad none of them were hurt in the Tsunami.
Rick

Xarifa:
Tx for the post Grier--interesting. I never did see the movie--I don't feel the need to get spooked..

Once you've dove with a few sharks :jaws: and see them for their beauty, you'll laugh at the movie more than be scared. The lightning was the only part that really made me scream...did I type that out loud? :cute:

I'm glad they and all the other divers in the water survived. Am hoping one of them tells their story on the board.

My prayers are with the survivors...

scubalaurel:
Once you've dove with a few sharks :jaws: and see them for their beauty, you'll laugh at the movie more than be scared. The lightning was the only part that really made me scream...did I type that out loud? :cute:

I'm glad they and all the other divers in the water survived. Am hoping one of them tells their story on the board.

My prayers are with the survivors...

Don't forget that there might be a difference between those nice little cute sharks that you see during the dive, and those that you may meet while drifting in the ocean. Be assured that sharks 'cleaned' the seas from thousands of crewman whose ships were destroyed in battle that drifted the oceans during WWI and WWII. And as it seems, the couple that were lost in Australia were eaten by sharks ('Open Water' is based on a true story, BTW). Whether they were eaten *alive* or only after they died from drowning, exhaustion and/or dehidration- THAT we will never know, as they took the truth into the shark's bellies. The bodies were never found, only some pieces of gear, and most probably that in the end something did ate them.

And never forget- as much as sharks look nice and cute- when you enter the sea you go down one or two steps in the food chain, and sharks like Oceanic White tips, Tigers, Makos and many others may add humans to their diet (dead or alive it doesn't matter to them as many sharks are also carrion eaters).

To me, the movie was scary not because of the sharks, but because of realizing how easy it is to be lost in the sea in a similar way (forgotten by the crew because of clumsiness) or during a drift dive. I know of several cases that divers were lost in such a similar way and with some luck they were found alive.

Rick Murchison:
Probably the worst film I've ever had to endure.
The nude scene and the profanity took it from just plain lousy to lousy *and* tacky.
Don't waste your money.
-----
I am glad none of them were hurt in the Tsunami.
Rick

I'll have to disagree. I watched "Cold Mountain" with my wife last night. What a waste of 2+ hours! Between Nicole Kidman's botched eye reconstruction (think Mommie Dearest meets Bride of Frankenstein, spiced with an amazingly bad southern accent - the worst since Olympia Dukakis did Steel Magnolias!) to the unbelievably vapid adaptation of a pretty good novel to a complete ignorance of geography (Let's see, to walk from Petersburg, VA to the NC mountains takes you through the coastal salt marshes, where the hero eats raw fiddler crabs...?) this had to be the worst film of the year. Rene Zellweger made it a little more bearable, but just barely. What a terrible *******ization of a decent story.

OW was an indie film, plain and simple. A bit sensationalist, more from the marketing group than the directors, I'd guess, and completely unrealistic regarding shark biology, but otherwise interesting to spark discussion of dive planning, diver accountability, etc. As for the nude scene, I was neither offended nor titillated. I guess it was a bit unnecesary, but I've never been one to bash vicarious nudity. :wink: I just liked the fact that somebody took the time to make a film about missing divers. When you look around the video store, you don't see too many films that address the subject. (I'd challenge you to find one.)

Anyway, I'm glad the guys are safe and that they didn't lose their gear. I thought that they had some interesting things to say about the experience in and the whole tourist-business-as-usual attitude on the opposite side of the island following the disaster.

-G

I have to agree... "Open Water" has to be one of the worst movies that I have ever seen. I hate to say that because I was really looking forward to it. I'm a bit sad inside.

Just saw this flick last night... not the best movie for sure, but then again - my expectations weren't very high to begin with.

I liked the fact that it was shot in digital video, and was home brewed. For those facts, it was a pretty good project. Acting? bad. Flow? bad. Script... almost unbearable.

Nude scene?

I'm a guy, what do you expect? Yes, I Rew and Slowed it and Paused it. Two or three times.

Ok, four or five times.

The bit at the end credits was pretty bad too.

Best part of this DVD was "The Making Of" section.

Blanchard Ryan is hot. Totally.

VaDiver:
The remaining non-diver spent the rest of the movie talking about how hot Blanchard Ryan was. An observation that I happen to agree with, by the way.

Happy New Year!

She won't look the same if she signs on for more movies. She'll get those fake boobies which will affect her bouyancy and trim.

Deserves a photo...

45b8962b-5a37-46a2-b794-5815a8356545.jpg

Al Mialkovsky:
Deserves a photo...

45b8962b-5a37-46a2-b794-5815a8356545.jpg

I was diving the great barrier reef when that couple in australia got lost and assumed dead. That was not a pleasant thought and everyone was concerned that dive operators, especially the "cattle" boats, used a little more caution in terms of who is where. The movie is based on a true story, to what extent we won't know, but this was not such a bad movie.

As far as sharks, I consider myself a "Shark Week" expert. My only real encounter was a Nurse shark. However, as a previous poster stated, sharks will scavenge whatever is there and easy to get to. Maybe if the divers kept active, they would have been left alone, but if they truly drifted and floated lifeless, it's easy for a shark to give an exploratory bite, which is all it would take to get a little blood to drip...

As I always say, i'd rather be under water than on the surface.

PS. I liked the boob shot also....what can I say, I'm a guy!

Back
Top Bottom