"Open Water" Filmmakers survive the Tsunami in Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Betcha he's planning his next movie already.

Why didnt it wash away all their equipment - please no more cheap, nasty low budget open water movies!

Glad they were safe but I agree with Simbrooks!

Dr. Bill

Tx for the post Grier--interesting. I never did see the movie--I don't feel the need to get spooked..

Actually i was forced to watch it last night with the group i was with for NYE - but at least we had other entertainment to occupy if you werent looking at the tv :wink:

I'm glad the filmmakers are safe after the earthquake. Regarding their movie, cheap, yes, but nasty ? That's a little harsh isn't it. The movie was ok, but the concept was quite good. In the hands of Alfred Hitchcock or a foreign filmmaker it likely would have had more depth, more complexity. Divers seem to have been the biggest critics of the film. The movie has been compared to The Blair Witch Project. Open Water is better.
Lets hope their gear wasn't "washed away" and they'll take another good idea and this time do more with it.
Rex

You know, the only people who seem to be terrified by the movie are non-divers.

I watched it last night (at a friend's house who spent the rental money) and of four non-diving viewers, three left the room as soon as the subwoofer kicked in with those all too familiar ominous bass tones signalling sharks nearby. The remaining non-diver spent the rest of the movie talking about how hot Blanchard Ryan was. An observation that I happen to agree with, by the way.

No need to itemize all the key points in the movie where divers, dive masters, and directors screwed up. Only point I would like to make is that I thought the confusion on board the boat to be very realistic and it is easy to see how this sort of thing can (and does) happen.

Happy New Year!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom