open water dive worries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndigoEve

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I've recently finished my pool sessions and am waiting to do my open water dives for my OW certification (hopefully next weekend). I'm curious to know if other people found it difficult to go from the pool to the ocean...I got through all my skills just fine in the pool but I'm afraid that when I get out into the ocean I'm going to finally have to face the fact that it is not a nice confined shallow pool (i have been pushing this thought aside for some time now). If this bothered anybody else, how did you handle it?

It's important to get in the water with a confident mind.
You should absolutely discuss any of your concerns with your instructor. Don't be afraid to speak out, regardless of the other students' attitude. Your comfort and safety are at stake.

A little apprehension is normal, but it's important to analyze the causes before hand so that you're equipped to anticipate what will happen in the water. Too much anxiety can trigger panic and panic in the water can be dangerous.

Are you going be diving from shore or from a boat?

Your feelings are perfectly normal.....

a couple of tips that helped me out. did some swimming before hand with the exposure suit on.

played around off the beach with exposure suit and mask, fins, snorkel.

Talked about it with the instructor and didn't hang around on the surface. We hopped in, signalled and got right on the descent line.

Hope that you have fun with it.... it is worth it!

As noted, it's normal to have some apprehensions. Your instructor is quite likely to ensure that where you are diving, and what time of day, will provide for reasonably controlled conditions to enable you to practice skills.

Several recent new students were discussing their initial reactions and one common theme was the water temperature (Hood Canal, Puget Sound, one month ago). You're in Vancouver...are you diving in a drysuit? If you are not, you might find that a gallon of luke-warm water poured inside your rental wet suit just prior to entering the water might serve to take off the initial chill of entering cold water for your initial open water dives. If you don't, it can be a tad brisk...

Do not worry too much. Many divers (who can recall this part at all :wink: ) recall their initial experiences as being exciting and enjoyable.

Have fun.

Doc

I agree...I too went thru the same scenario. I was petrified - for no reason. if you have mastered your skills IN the pool you will have no problem doing your check outs. Try and remain calm, take your time and enjoy yourself. I found as soon as I got into the water and descended a few feet, most all of my fears went away and I was having fun. Stay close to your instructor and your buddy. Don't get separated. Listen to pre-dive instructions carefully and voice any questions and/or concerns up front. Don't feel ashamed - MANY dives go thru these pre-dive emotions.

Most of all have faith in the lessons that you have learned and have fun. If you feel you need/want additional pool time to hone your skills or polish up on any that you feel weak in, ASK the instructor if you can do additional pool time. Many agencies are more than willing to provide additional pool time and assist. But you have to ASK! Don't be shy! They want to see you become certified as much as you do.

Most of all, have fun and you'll fondly remember those two days forever. Its the beginning of something GREAT - trust me!

Like Arnaud said, if you have specific concerns, talk with your instructor beforehand. If it's a general jitteryness, I think that's very normal -- just be prepared to talk yourself through the dives. You've proven to yourself that you can do the skills in the pool, so when it comes time to do them in the ocean, keep reminding yourself that you know what to do.

We did our OW dives a few weeks ago, so they are still very fresh in my mind. I was quite nervous, and the ocean was rough on day one. I did a lot of telling myself things like, "slow down and relax. you can do this." It really works. Your brain listens to your own voice. And underwater, your buddy and instructor are obviously limited in what they can give you for reassurance! You are your own best coach when you believe in yourself. Actually, I think it was easier to do some of the skills in the open water because I didn't feel so... um, confined. In my experience, each dive got easier and more comfortable. We did the bulk of our skills on the first two dives, so dives 3 & 4 were fun and enjoyable. It really felt great and we had lots of good underwater life to look at, including some nurse sharks that get a little bigger every time I talk about them! :)

Now I can't wait to get back in the water! Good luck to you! You're going to do great!

Angie

I agree...check outs take place in such an open expanse of water, so there is no need to feel confined. I recall its as one of the most fun times of my life. Just relax, slow down, and keep telling yourself "I CAN do this. Others have done it, many as nervous as I am. I CAN do this. I WILL do this." And you will.

I was SO nervous I almost didn't go do my check outs - and that would have been a GRAVE error. Today, I love to dive, have been diving to the Florida Keys on vacation and dream of my next shipwreck or dive. Its now the only think I do for recreation. There are so many possibilities for you to explore and directions to advance in - if you choose....wreck diving, rescue diver, advanced open water, Nitrox, etc.

Like Nike' says: "Just DO it!"

I suspect that we all had some doubts during the night before open water. The notion of sinking below the surface of a large body of water is, afterall, a bit foreign

If you did all the exercises in the pool, doing them in the open water will likely be easier than you think. When I did my open water, our instructor made sure that we were forcused on the tasks at hand and had little time to worry about where we were.

After 17 dives, I have reached the point where it is getting comfortable. Have fun. :froggy:

:) Thanks for all your replies and encouragement.
Yes, I'll be wearing a wetsuit and we're going in off the shore. I know I can do the skills. I have, in the past, found that I get clautrophobic with my face underwater (snorkling). This is the main reason that despite a lot of encouragement from my diving friends it has taken me a couple of years to finally try it. Surprisingly enough after my initial discover scuba class (which started with me wondering if I was crazy for trying and ended with me wondering how soon I could start the OW course) I was quite comfortable in the water.
The only thing I had trouble with was swimming without my mask. I did it, but it took a lot of 'self-talk' to get through it. I found it gave me the same claustrophobic feeling as snorkling did. I definately will speak up if I am worried about it in the open water dives and I did talk to my instructor at the beginning of thecourse about the claustrophobia.
I guess I just wanted reassurance that nervousness is normal.
(all i ever hear people say is how much they love it....and how comfortable they are in the water....)

Diving from the shore makes a nice transition. You won't have to worry about getting sea-sick and you're never too far from land, which can help raise your comfort level. You're going to get your first real glimpse of what it's all about. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom