Open water dive PADI in Bangkok HELP!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangiraffe--the members got off on a tangent.

This happened in the natural flow of discussion. The fact that you did not receive a manual led to a consensus that this is a violation of agency standards, and further, speculation that it may not be an isolated incident.

From that grew a related discussion of other sorts of potential standards violations, such as skipping certain required parts of the course in order to shorten it.

Amidst the debate about course length (and between the lines) is speculation about whether it is ethical (given the nature of the sport) to complete the course in two days, even if it is possible to do so according to a strict interpretation of the standards, and if so, under what conditions (e-learning was mentioned, for example).

We know your course took four-ish days (you said the first day was just half a day). But the failure of the school to make sure you have your own personal copy of the manual (which is required by standards, regardless of how much the book weighs) naturally leads those of us who adhere to standards to wonder what other standards violations schools engage in to cheapen their courses, in both the literal and figurative senses.

OK. Thanks. You put me into perspective there. Hahaha. It is compulsory for every student to own a manual? :D

Orangegiraffe,

Yes, it is indeed complusary by PADI standards that each student owns a manual.

Really? Hmm...Now I'm beginning to wonder. Is there anywhere, anyhow I can get more information about the rules and regulations?

:)

Ho Orangegiraffe,

One place to find out about the PADI standards is in the PADI Instructor Manual, this manual has all these standards in it, and each member is obliged to update his/her personal copy of this Instructor Manual every 3 months.

Hey limbo..Thanks so much! I think I'm going to buy a manual for myself. Do you have any idea where I can get one for myself? Local bookstore? hahaha :D

Hey limbo..Thanks so much! I think I'm going to buy a manual for myself. Do you have any idea where I can get one for myself? Local bookstore? hahaha :D

Just go to any PADI dive shop and you can buy one. It's great to have it to review what you learned. The course goes by so fast that you don't always remember the details.

umm ... and there was also talk of a student manual earlier. I'll admit that orangiraffe's latest post is a bit ambiguous. As it makes little sense for a newly-certified OW diver who doesn't yet own even an OW manual to spring for the entire IM, I'll also admit that I assumed the more logical of the two interpretations.

Back
Top Bottom