Open water dive PADI in Bangkok HELP!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apecks,

Don't confuse the issue, indeed it wasn't, but since over 2 years it is compulsary, so at the time being when Orangegiraffe completed her PADI OW course, she was required to have her own copy of the PADI OW manual.

Indeed. The Instructors manual is very clear on this point that an OW student is required to have their own personal copy of the OW manual (or multimedia equivalent) so that it is available afterwards (If I remember this was the result of a court case in USA).

The responsibility for compliance of this requirement is laid firmly upon the shop/instructor/CD.

(section course standards and overview in Instr. Manual)

I'm not pal with owner Joe, but LK is wrong. (Big surprise there.) I know for a fact the pool they use, which pool it is and when they use it. After all, we are neighbors.

Go on then Aquanauts tell us all??

Is there a difference the student manual and the instructor manual? Could you tell me which is use for what?

Is there a difference the student manual and the instructor manual? Could you tell me which is use for what?

Think you already answered that one yourself!

Believe it or not, the instructor manual is for the use of a diving instructor, and the student manual is for the use of a training diver. 2 very different things.

Is there a difference between the student manual and the instructor manual?

:rofl3:

Yes, there is.

The Instructor Manual is a manual with PADI rules, standards and guidelines for PADI Instructors. (it comes on a nice DVD nowadays at no extra cost as long as the Instructor renews his/hers PADI membership)

PADI Student Manuals are manuals designed for dive students for specific courses. (it is (mostly) a paper book one must purchase when doing a dive course. In Thailand it's very common for Dive Centers to include the student manual for most courses in the actual course price)

The student's manual for each course provides information specific to the course of study and also furnishes learning aids to help learners internalize the information. It also outlines the specific skills students are expected to master in order to become certified.

The instructor's manual is a huge document that outlines standards and procedures for conducting nearly all courses. It does not provide much information that would be useful to someone learning to dive.

It would be really useful if you could include a picture of both the Students manual and Instructors manual. I want to go diving again this December. It would be a really huge help. Do you have any idea where I can buy the official PADI logbook as well? Maybe a website?

It would be really useful if you could include a picture of both the Students manual and Instructors manual. I want to go diving again this December. It would be a really huge help. Do you have any idea where I can buy the official PADI logbook as well? Maybe a website?

Just go in any PADI dive centre or look at the PADI website, they are well renowned for selling all sorts of crap at highly inflated prices.

'Pay Another Dollar In' :wink:

'Pay Another Dollar In' :wink:

:shakehead:

Really, bitter much?

All of us that have trained with PADI have our issues, and all of them get re-tread all over this board.

OG, i think you should re-read Quero's post about the INSTRUCTOR'S MANUAL vs the OPEN WATER DIVER STUDENT MANUAL.

The Instructor's Manual won't be much use for you regardless if you're diving in Dec or any other time unless you're considering a career in diving. If that's the case (or if you are REALLY curious about the minutia of the PADI training system), then you could find it anywhere that deals with PADI. Website, local shop, dive resort.... if they don't have one and you really want one... they'll order it for you. I'd recommend you looking at one and picking it up (you did mention backpacking) before buying it off a website. You'll find that it's pages and pages of how PADI defines the structure of courses taught and explanations of terminology relevant to TRAINING, but not so much to DIVING.

Yes, there's a multimedia version. But, really think about what use you would get out of any of this before spending any money. I don't know where you are now, but maybe you could stop by a local dive shop and ask to see one on a computer or flip through a paper copy?

The Student Manual is everything you learned in your OW course. It follows the same structure and information of the videos you saw. Obviously, it goes into some further detail, and it has diagrams, etc. Think of it as a reference manual. It might be VERY handy if you're going diving again after just finishing a course. Refresh your self on terms, equipment, and safety procedures.

Yes, Sunshine should have sold you one as part of the course. The old "library method" that was common on Koh Tao when I first came here was clamped down on severely by PADI years ago. Having worked around the island and on the other side for over 2 years now, that's the first I've heard of this in a long time. From PADI, anyway. There are other certification agencies that DON'T require each student having a manual, but PADI is very specific on this.

And as for the logbook... well, LK offered his usual stunning acerbic wit and pointed out you could buy one at a PADI shop or on the site. Just so you know, there are plenty of other types of logbooks out there. From as cheap as 50 baht (roughly a euro?). You can also buy any old binder or blank paper book and make your own. Logbooks and logging dives (outside of training) is purely a personal matter.

hope this was of some help.

I mean, jesus, it must have been better than the last post!

Back
Top Bottom