Open Water/Cozumel Experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome thanks for the replys. It brings up an interesting point. During my OW certification, we were instructed that we are approved to dive to a 60 foot depth, and AOW is approved to 100ft. Obviously there are no ocean police enforcing this, but I have always followed this rule, since I am new to the sport and want to be safe. Since this trip will be with a group from our dive shop I just figured they would hold me to the 60ft rule, but it seems silly that I would be forced to hang out at 60 feet while everyone else is enjoying the deeper views. .

It's not silly if that's what you want to do and have good reasons for it. I'm just letting you know that in Cozumel nobody is usually going to be looking out for you. Dive masters aren't going to poll everyone and hold the group to a newbies depth. They will most likely say nothing and you'll be watching them go deeper and deeper as you watch your 60 ft limit approach and go by.

Don't get pressured into diving beyond your limits. If you want to stick to 60 ft you will need to tell the dive op. You'll most likely be looking at the afternoon dives which will be shallower, or hiring a private DM on the morning dives. I'm just letting you know what you will facing so you're not surprised. It's Mexico and the mucho macho dive master rule is in effect. If you're not comfortable with something you will need to speak up, and do so and don't feel embarassed or let peer pressure get to you.

Thanks, I'm picking up what your throwing down :) I appreciate the advice

As far as the previous comments about equipment. I've already purchased my own gear

-AL Legend reg
-AL Balance BCD w/ integrated air
-Aries NX3 I think comp.
-Mares fins mask snorkel yada yada yada all that stuff.

I'm really happy with all of my gear, I spent some time trying different stuff (especially masks) until I found out what worked perfectly for ME.

Baggage fees don't apply here as mine are waved from my frequent traveler perks!

The trip is being put on through the dive shop as an all inclusive vacation. Trying to get one of my college buddies to come along and partake in the madness.... cinco de mayo in Mexico?!?!?!

Let the dive OP know of your experience.

New divers tend to suck air. Coz dives can be deep, so keep an eye on your air.

Find a buddy and stick with your buddy. For whatever reason many folks think the guide is a buddy. They are not.

Do you want this moved to the Coz forum? Let me know...

Have Fun and Dive Safe!

I haven't dived outside the States, but my first "real dive trip" after OW cert was the Flower Garden Banks and Stetson. I think it was my 5th post-cert dive when I splashed in out there, 90 miles offshore.

So I don't know Coz, but i suspect the difficulty level is similar--semi-deep, some current, really clear water. The good diving is around 70 to 90 feet, so 60 wouldn't get you down near the coral. The current was weak, weather really nice, buddies a little more experienced than me (how could it be otherwise?) so I did what they did and it worked out great, what a beautiful place and great fun "camping out" on the FLING.

No one mentions the 60 feet deal for OW, the boat's limit was 100' so we "had" to go to 98 off the ledge at Stetson. Listen to your buddies, communicate lots, watch your air gauge like a hawk and let your buddies know at 2000 and frequently once you get below 1500 so you can be thinking about starting your ascent around 1000. It's okay if you're the first one to have to head back to the up line, you're the newbie after all.

You'll be fine. I'll leave the local Coz stuff to others.

My first post-OW certification dives were on a Bahamas trip with my daughter. I did not feel that the OW certification course gave me near enough practice to deal with an unexpected challenge underwater. So I chose to pay extra to have a guide on those resort dives as a transition measure between the certification course and having a enough comfort level underwater to fully manage my own dive. Probably wasn't needed but I did feel safer doing these dives (which went 80' or deeper) having an experienced diver with us who's job was to stick with us. Did add substantially to the cost of the dives, but allowed me to enjoy it more.

In all likelihood, no dive operator will limit your dives to 60 ft with an OW certification. My first dive there following a refresher after 15 years diving was down to 85 ft or so. If you do have reservation about going deeper than 60 ft, let your dive Op know so he can put you with such a group.

Back
Top Bottom