Open Source Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oonej

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey guys,

I've been looking into fooling around with some underwater mico computer builds (arduino style). I came across OSTC (Open Source Trimix Computer) but no where in the web can I find anything that is open sourced. No design specs, no code, anything.

If anyone has any projects or ideas on this, I'd love to look into it further and hear your suggestions!!

Thanks!

I'm not aware of any. It's not just the circuit boards, its the software and algorithms

Curious what the open source stands for then in there project lol

I didn't realize OSTC = Open Source Technical Computer. I don't see any reference on their site to standard Open source license agreements, and every one that I know of requires inclusion of the full license with distribution. Either they really aren't open source, or they aren't complying with the license, or maybe there is an FTP or something with all the fun bits on it.

They claim Torvalds was involved, and he is definitely involved with development of Subsurface. I understand he is pretty strict about not working on closed source, so that's a solid maybe. I think I will email them.

Edit: Some vague details in this older thread https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/open-source-dive-computer.208419

However I still have not found any of the source code. I did find several sites who sell the OSTC computers claiming they will provide source and hardware schematics. So far, I have been unable to obtain them. If anyone has any ideas - please let me know. I love stuff like this.

I will say that if their software is in part GPL or simmilar then HeinrichsWeikamp might be in trouble. All the open source licenses I am aware of require inclusion of the license agreement with binary distributions in addition to making source available. Neither appears to be happening with the firmware for these DC's.

Last edited:
A trimix computer should be capable of dealing with air and Nitrox as a subset of its capabilities. A bit overkill for the application …

I didn't realize OSTC = Open Source Technical Computer. I don't see any reference on their site to standard Open source license agreements, and every one that I know of requires inclusion of the full license with distribution. Either they really aren't open source, or they aren't complying with the license, or maybe there is an FTP or something with all the fun bits on it.

They claim Torvalds was involved, and he is definitely involved with development of Subsurface. I understand he is pretty strict about not working on closed source, so that's a solid maybe. I think I will email them.

Edit: Some vague details in this older thread https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/open-source-dive-computer.208419

However I still have not found any of the source code. I did find several sites who sell the OSTC computers claiming they will provide source and hardware schematics. So far, I have been unable to obtain them. If anyone has any ideas - please let me know. I love stuff like this.

I will say that if their software is in part GPL or simmilar then HeinrichsWeikamp might be in trouble. All the open source licenses I am aware of require inclusion of the license agreement with binary distributions in addition to making source available. Neither appears to be happening with the firmware for these DC's.

Thanks Kelemvor,

I came across the same info you did, which is why I asked the question. I couldn't find reference to any open source documentation and also ran into a few dead links (not sure if thats where it originally spawned from). My original goal was to make a digital underwater compass (nothing too crazy) and it got me into wanting to just 'add more' lol of course.

:D Would love to hear what you discover!

IIRC According to his blog on the SubSurface website, Torvalds uses a Suunto EON Steel computer.

A trimix computer should be capable of dealing with air and Nitrox as a subset of its capabilities. A bit overkill for the application …

Hi Umuntu,

There is more to the open source that is of better value than the 'trimix portion.' The interior design, circuitry, source code, etc etc etc.. its all awesome and knowing how it works in side and out would allow me to fabricate my own.

I don't dive trimix, but I am an avid tinkerer :)

It certainly used to be available and apparently was used by the Subsurface developers as a basis for some of their deco code. If you grab a copy of those sources you can take a look.

I think they stopped with the open source thing on later more sophisticated models.

There is a bloke on TDF who has done a good job of a home brew computer.

By the way the T is not for an English word.

IIRC According to his blog on the SubSurface website, Torvalds uses a Suunto EON Steel computer.
I know if I was working on code for a dive computer it wouldn't be the only thing on my arm when I went diving...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom