Open or closed valve on pony bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bert van den Berg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I was recently told to keep the valve on my pony bottle open so that water can't enter the first stage regulator. Is this right?

I keep the valve closed to insure that the pony doesn't have a chance to leak and will be full in case I actually need it.

I was recently told to keep the valve on my pony bottle open so that water can't enter the first stage regulator. Is this right?

I keep the valve closed to insure that the pony doesn't have a chance to leak and will be full in case I actually need it.

Open, IMO. If you're going to keep it closed you'll want to open in it first to charge the first stage. The risk here is that you accidentally purge the second stage and allow water into your first stage. Not the end of the world, but you'll then have to service your first stage if that happens.

I don't see much benefit in keeping it closed. If the **** hits the fan I would like to simply put a second stage in my mouth and access gas. No fumbling with opening a valve in an emergency. If you're slinging the pony you should notice a leak. If you're tank mounting it you should have the second stage in front of you where you would notice a free flow. Tank mounting has one disadvantage in that you can't see the first stage. A mirror on a wrist strap solves that problem.

"Mirror on a wrist strap" I like that idea but haven't ever noticed anyone using one. Something you rigged up yourself?

DSCN1330.jpg
Keep it open, and you are better off slinging it, rather than tank mounting it , easier to access it and if need be to give to another diver in a emergency. heres my setup for dives deeper than 80 feet..

Last edited:
You open the valve pressurize the 2nd stage and close the valve, in dive like that, even if you don't do that, water should enter your 1st stage.

Look at the tech diving, the Deco bottles remain close during all the dive until it is time to use it.

"Mirror on a wrist strap" I like that idea but haven't ever noticed anyone using one. Something you rigged up yourself?

Yes. If you don't want to make one, Mako Spearguns sells a bungee mirror strap. I believe they advertise it for checking mask mounted GoPro cameras.

You can see mine here. Just a simple velcro cinch strap with the mirror attached. 85 ft Dive on 13 ft Pony Almost Ends Badly

View attachment 387367 Keep it open, and you are better off slinging it, rather than tank mounting it , easier to access it and if need be to give to another diver in a emergency. heres my setup for dives deeper than 80 feet..

Only problem I see is you have Nitrox in your pony... What is the % or MOD as to be usable in a deep dive ? I'm of the old school that a pony should only have air if it's a bail out bottle...

And the regulator is pressurized and the valve turned off is how we did it and I still do.. Unless it's a back mount , Then on...

Jim....

I carry open. If needed I prefer immediate air supply rather than additional task loading manipulating a valve. Unlike deco bottles which are deployed as regular procedure.

If you like, open to pressurize the hoses and close the valve again... that still gives you a breath while opening the valve and like you said, less risk of gas loss.

Regards,
Cameron

Only problem I see is you have Nitrox in your pony... What is the % or MOD as to be usable in a deep dive ? I'm of the old school that a pony should only have air if it's a bail out bottle...

And the regulator is pressurized and the valve turned off is how we did it and I still do.. Unless it's a back mount , Then on...

Jim....
LOL its just 21% always is, I had an extra Nitrox sticker in my scuba junk pile and stuck it on the pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom