Open Heel Booties. Soft Sole vs Hard Sole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have only used low cut softsole booties. Lost one side to the ocean so I am looking for a new pair of booties. Like to further understand hardsole booties.

I will never shore/beach dive. Always from a boat.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each type?

Booties will offer physical protection for your feet of course. This is critical for shore diving at most sites and may be important if you''re getting on the boat partially suited Are your feet OK climbing the ladder at the end of the dive? They offer thermal protection, protection against chafing, a better closure to your suit legs and can help buoy heavy legs.

Most brands have an assortment of models with different sole stiffnesses. The ultimate dive boot may be the SeaSoft Stealth.

Pete

I get the thickest sole tennis shoe style bootie for hiking with a lot of weight (tank/weight belt) for foot support and durability. These are good for walking and last longer, but can cause cramping and not as much feeling/response when kicking.

For freediving, I get light sole booties which fit in my full foot fins and open heel fins. Very flexible, little chance of cramping, but sole will wear easily if hiking and little foot support.

Both booties can also be used for other watersports such as boating, kayaking, rafting. The lighter sole can be used for surfing.

Although hard-sole booties are usually required for shore diving, they can also be useful for boat diving / liveaboards depending on the surface texture of the dive platform. I was glad I had my hard-sole booties on the Nekton, for example.

If you change from softsole to hardsole booties, make sure they will fit in your fins.

Hardsole booties obviously offer more protection on rough ground, but I find them uncomfortable. I prefer feeling closer to barefoot and being able to bend my feet more freely. I've never been on a boat where softsole wasn't fine, and I find them fine for shorediving too. It just works for me better to have more feel of what I'm walking on rather than stomp over it with a sneaker type sole, even if I might need to be more careful in some cases.

Here is my 2 cents. Unless you have a need for a hard sole. Stick with soft sole (better) or a full foot w/ a 1mm sock (best). They offer the best overall comfort/control.

I'm a fan of hard sole boots, better when climbing a ladder and I like the stability of having an arch support while suited up in heavy gear deck of a boat .. SeaSoft Stealth

Back
Top Bottom