Open Discussion: Best backpack for long-term travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenblayza

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've had a look around the threads here and done some research other places. There are many different opinions out there and I'm hoping for some more :)

I'll be travelling indefinitely starting this year and will be living out of my backpack. Right now I'm thinking of a pack big enough to hold everything, gear, clothing, etc. (I'll be in tropical weather) and a big backpack style dry bag (20L - 30L) for carry on - when needed or easily rolled up and stored when not used. I'll be traveling with all my gear - BP/W not BCD.

I'm leaning towards something like this Tactical Tailor Extended Range Operator Pack - durable, spacious and inconspicuous.

I'm also interested in:

Manta by Fourth Element : Dive Bags - Manta & Remora | Fourth Element (Light weight, but too light weight?)

Over Board: http://www.tatonka.com/Products/Backpacks-and-Bags/Travel-bags/Barrel-L/1999 (I like the option of duffel or backpack, but doesn't really look practical for long term travel.)

Tatonka Barrel (L) - http://www.tatonka.com/Products/Backpacks-and-Bags/Travel-bags/Barrel-L/1999 (This would be large enough, but again, I'm questioning the practicality of long term travel.)

I know there's got to be some opinions churning out there and I'd love to hear them. Has anyone traveled long term with their gear? Anyone used any of these? Suggestions on a different set-up?

---------- Post added April 4th, 2013 at 03:22 PM ----------

***The Over Board link is here...
http://www.over-board.com.au/adventure-duffel-bag-90ltr-white.html

Go to Ebags.com....They have a large selection of all types of backpacks....I use two of the military types to haul my 'stuff' around.....I like all the storage compartments and they're better made than the more expensive dive bags.......

How about the north face base camp range

I've been thinking a bit more and have decided I like backpack style (waist support) vs. duffel bag as I'll be travelling around a bit.

---------- Post added April 5th, 2013 at 09:14 AM ----------

modustollens - Those look like the Tactical Tailors. Is that what you use? Have you done any long term travelling with your gear?

j2s - I had a look on Ebags.com and though the selections is large, I didn't find anything I liked - they mainly seem to carry the fold down or cinch top and I'm looking for a zip. Thanks for the suggestion though!

How about the north face base camp range

I found this bag at Sports Authority on clearance for $60 USD. I picked one up on an impulse, and will try it out on a short live-a-board trip in a few weeks.

Hey all,

This is Lloyd (formally 'greenblayza'). I forgot about this thread, but thought I should update...

I decided to go with the Kelty Redwing 50. It's not a ton of room, but large enough to hold most of my clothing, toiletries, meds, cables, etc. AND my gear. I also purchased a North Face 34.5L dry daybag which I keep my regs (though they fit in the Kelty) and my laptop in along with a few items of clothing and books. I don't have much extra room, but I'm able to travel with everything I need via backpack. If you're interested you can check out my website for more info: www.backpackingscubadiver.com.

thanks for updating. looks like you are traveling pretty light and that's the main thing. I use the North Face large duffle myself. I tried the medium but could not get my fins inside and I already had the large so I thought i'd just keep it. The struggle is getting my all UW camera stuff on as carry-on. So you really got all that dive gear in the Kelty bag? Wow.

ok - no wet suit - big room saver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom