Travel Fin Research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theDrExplorer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
[TL;DR version] Here's some weight and length data for travel fins (particularly useful for US women's size 8)

==
I have been trying to put together my first set of gear for travel, and it has not been easy to find the dimensions and weight measurements of fins. In particular, some of the data that I could find pertained to larger sizes or men's sizes (or wasn't clear whether the weight referred to one fin or a pair of fins). As someone who tends to go a little crazy with research, I got my hands on a bunch of different fins, and did some measurements... thought that this data would be helpful for anyone searching for travel fins in the future.

upload_2020-10-27_14-23-28.png

These are ranked from the lightest to the heaviest per fin. Those shaded in green are full foot fins or meant to be worn barefoot (or with just a thin sock). For reference, I usually wear US women's 8-8.5 (or European 38/39). All of them fit my relatively wide, but skinny/boney feet (fit is obviously very subjective and personal but these are just my quick thoughts) except for:
  • Scubapro Go Travel XS/S - can't even get my bare feet in without some pain, but then the next size up M/L was too big with bare feet...
  • Hollis F2 S - this is the smallest size, and I couldn't get the strap to stay on my heel even with a 3mm bootie... just wasn't even close
  • The others that are not shaded green fit with either a thin lycra sock or a 3mm bootie (or both).
My key considerations are fit, weight and length. Performance is somewhat of a consideration, but I read through enough reviews on Scubaboard to give me a good idea, plus most rental fins that I've worn seemed to work fine in terms of performance in current (except for the ones that gave me blisters). I tend to travel light, and try to avoid checking in luggage, so I want to keep the weight as low as possible to meet the common 10kg carry on limit for international flights. Length needs to be 22" long at most also to fit within those guidelines. Pictures below for reference as well... somehow I forgot to put the Hollis F2 in there.

In the end, after trying on all of these, I'm going with the Oceanic Accel for its combination of fit, weight and length. I don't have an opportunity to try them out in the water, so I'll report back when I do!

upload_2020-10-27_14-40-46.png

Some additional data from my husband's fin tryout... He is usually US size 10.5.
Oceanic Accel Regular - 648g; 20.5"
Mares Superchannel 9.5-10.5 - 689g; 26"
Mares Avanti Quattro Regular - 1005g; 25.5"

Is your husband trying the Accel too? I'm also a size 10.5, so would be interested in hearing how he likes those.

Wow, thanks for posting these data. I wouldn't have guessed that the Hollis F2s would finish at the top of the pile. But then I haven't really tried these others, so that's why this kind of post is really useful! Thank you!

Is your husband trying the Accel too? I'm also a size 10.5, so would be interested in hearing how he likes those.

It looks like all three of these fins fit him just fine. The Oceanic Accels have adjustable straps (or can be swapped out to spring or other standard ones that fit the mushroom posts), so he's able to fit in them fine with either booties or just socks.

He likes the Avanti Superchannels since he's rented them a few times, they're not too expensive, and the color/design is cooler. However, the Accels definitely have an edge since he's able to fit them into his backpack that he carries onto the plane as a personal item (in addition to a duffle or rollerbag). Most full foot fins tend to be way too long for travel, otherwise I don't mind the Cressi Pro Stars.

I had the highest hopes for the Scubapro Go Travel since I like the concept, look and weight, but unfortunately, they just don't fit. :(

It looks like all three of these fins fit him just fine. The Oceanic Accels have adjustable straps (or can be swapped out to spring or other standard ones that fit the mushroom posts), so he's able to fit in them fine with either booties or just socks.

He likes the Avanti Superchannels since he's rented them a few times, they're not too expensive, and the color/design is cooler. However, the Accels definitely have an edge since he's able to fit them into his backpack that he carries onto the plane as a personal item (in addition to a duffle or rollerbag). Most full foot fins tend to be way too long for travel, otherwise I don't mind the Cressi Pro Stars.

I had the highest hopes for the Scubapro Go Travel since I like the concept, look and weight, but unfortunately, they just don't fit. :(
Why don't you like the ScubaPro Go Sport? Do you consider them too heavy? They are my fav travel fins, I use them a lot for shorediving as well.

You can use seawing nova straps on Accels.

I found the F2s to have a ridiculously gargantuan foot pocket for a "travel" fin assuming tropics with 3mm boot.

I'm just shy of a men's (?) US7 in wet boots.

Deep 6 Eddy is the best fin I have used. short, lightweight, and a fantastic fin all around. the scubapro gosport is a good travel fin but not for the strong of legs. i tried them recently in Coz and folded them swimming against the current.

Deep 6 Eddy is the best fin I have used. short, lightweight, and a fantastic fin all around. the scubapro gosport is a good travel fin but not for the strong of legs. i tried them recently in Coz and folded them swimming against the current.

Deep6 is out of the small/medium size last time I looked a few weeks ago. Unknown when they would be back in stock. OP would probably fit in the small/medium size. That’s what I wear with a size 7 women’s shoe. They fit my 5mm extra small wetsuit booties and size 8 Fusion drysuit boots.

Back
Top Bottom